It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fatwa on Liberal Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Indonesian Muslim body forbids liberal Islam

JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia's top Islamic council issued a religious edict on Friday forbidding any liberal interpretation of Islam in the world's most populous Muslim nation.

"Religious liberalism is haram (forbidden)," said a fatwa, or doctrine, issued by the Indonesian Ulemas Council (MUI) and seen by Reuters.

"This is a reminder for Muslims to follow the religion in a correct way and not to try to deviate from the principles," Ma'aruf Amin, chief the MUI's Fatwa Commission, told Reuters.

How many hardline right-conservatives here would support "Liberal Islam"?

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
That sounds just like what the hardcore Republican religious conservatives in America would huff and puff about.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
This thread should be in PTS.

Not in ATS.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
oops, you're right ECK. Im so used to clicking my WOT bookmark.

Please move this mods.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well, it really depends on what type of "Islam". Moderate or Extreme.

If the Fatwa is targetting that extremist views, good for us all.

But then again, the Extremist can always "Shake it off" by saying that the Fatwa is unlawful.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
oops, you're right ECK. Im so used to clicking my WOT bookmark.

Please move this mods.

No prob, dude.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
To any mods listening.. could I suggest a move to this forum:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Just a suggestion.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humster
But then again, the Extremist can always "Shake it off" by saying that the Fatwa is unlawful.

The Fatwa is Jihad against America, no ulem will shake this. All voices are considered insults to the martyrs and to Mecca who declare otherwise. When we are children we do the things of children, when we are men we do the things of men. So is Islam and Fatwa.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
The Fatwa is Jihad against America, no ulem will shake this. All voices are considered insults to the martyrs and to Mecca who declare otherwise. When we are children we do the things of children, when we are men we do the things of men. So is Islam and Fatwa.

That sounds quite dramatic. Glad I'm back here in the states.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It dosnt matter if it is the Koran or the bible an extremist wacko is a extremist wacko. The problem is to many people need reglion, media or government in order to tell them what to think.

No group of people or government has the right to impose it morals on society or put another way regilon and athismn shouldnt be forced upon society.
IMHO humanity needs to strive for a society based on athiesmn and democracy. I dont think it will happen anytime soon.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Some seem to miss a few important points.
One point is that Conservatism and Rightwing isn't the same thing. It doen't even require higher math to understand that.

If you have a clue about Christianity, you'd understand that such a concept is impossible. It is also impossible for such an occurance to happen in this Christian nation as it is not a Theocracy, and that Christianity is not the OT but a chance of Grace and the ability to accept Christ. Forgiveness is the message, not feet, heads or hands being cut off, or even the imprisonment of adulterers or whatever else you are afraid of.

In regard to the edict to follow Islam as it is supposed to be, can you blame the council? If you call yourslef a Muslim, why would you not want to follow the religion you claim as yours? I can hardly fault the council for this.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Some seem to miss a few important points.
One point is that Conservatism and Rightwing isn't the same thing. It doen't even require higher math to understand that.

I compltely agree.

In regard to the edict to follow Islam as it is supposed to be, can you blame the council? If you call yourslef a Muslim, why would you not want to follow the religion you claim as yours? I can hardly fault the council for this.

You cant blame the council on principle however you can question the merts of Isam or any reglion for that matter. TC your comments about Christianity make Interesting reading even if the concept dosnt sit well with me but thats another topic.

new topics

top topics

join