It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Still Attempting To Extradite Hacker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Despite the fact that no extradition treaty has been signed by the US and the UK, the US government is still attempting to take a hacker from his home country for trial where his reported crimes were committed. The hacker is alleged to have broken into several government computers looking for existence of a UFO cover-up. He continues to fight the extradition procedure.

news.bbc.co.uk
Speaking outside court, Mr McKinnon's solicitor Karen Todner said her client "vigorously contested his extradition".

Mr McKinnon was first arrested in 2002 but action against him was discontinued.

Referring to this, his solicitor added: "It is unknown why there has been such a delay in requesting such extradition.

"The British public need to ask themselves why British citizens are being extradited to the USA when the US government has not signed the extradition treaty between the two countries."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems as though they are intent on getting him, although I don't see how they can do it legally without him going willingly. If I were him I'd stay put. It's already been discussed what he saw, but by now I think it's evident that he didn't see anything worthwhile, otherwise he more likely would have been silenced by other, less public means.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
World's biggest Hacker arrested - searched for proof US was hiding info on UFO's

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Nova]

[edit on 27-9-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

It seems as though they are intent on getting him, although I don't see how they can do it legally without him going willingly.

I think british law on the subject of extraditions is that they won't extradite people if there is a possiblity of the death sentence or if they can't get a fair trial at home. Not whether or not they are willing to go.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hacking into Government/Military system can end up with the hacker facing terrorism charges. If the US is playing the terrorist card, he may be sent to the states to face charges.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I must be confused, I thought there was an extradition treaty between the UK and the US. A fairly one-sided one that the UK got the short end of.

I know in Canada we make the US promise not to go for the death penalty when we extradite to the US. The UK will probably do the same.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here's some information.

The U.S.-U.K. Extradition Treaty (Treaty No. 108-23) was transmitted by the President to the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations in April 2004. Once ratified, the Treaty will replace the 1972 Extradition Treaty and the 1985 Supplementary Treaty.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
What baffles me about this is - If Mr McKinnon is as good at hacking as the charges against him would suggest, why hasn't he been snapped up by one of our own (uk) security services?.....unless the offer was made but he turned it down?....it would abit odd if he did though, afterall, if he took the offer then all charges the US levelled at him would be null and void, in so far as the UK wouldn't take a blind bit of notice of them!

I know the US has it's hands tied when it comes to recruiting people with criminal convictions (or it did upto 9/11 anyway, haven't checked recently)....but the UK doesn't have those restrictions - we frequently employ people with criminal convictions (employed in intelligence gathering i mean).

Something doesn't sit right with this case, not sure what it is though!!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Ahh, written but not signed yet. I get it now. Thanks!

top topics

join