It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorites point to big chill on ancient Mars (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
A study of the gas in meteorites suggests that Mars was bitter cold for much of the past 4 billion years. During this period Mars didn't have any extended wet periods in which life could have lived. The only opportunity for life would be the first 500 million years of it's existence.

www.msnbc.msn.com
A new study of gas in meteorites suggests Mars was bitterly cold for pretty much all of the past 4 billion years, putting the freeze on hopes that the Red Planet had any extended wet periods during which life could have flourished.

Several rocks that were once near the surface of Mars, and have in the past few million years been kicked up by impacts that sent them to Earth, have been freezing cold for most of the past 4 billion years, the study concludes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think its sad that scientists say that life more than likely couldn't have lived on Mars in the past 4 billion years. It does say however that it doesn't rule out the possibility of life on Mars, but that biology's best chance for life would be the first 500 million years of it's 4.5 billion year existence

[edit on 7/21/2005 by 9890]

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

from the last paragraph of the linked story

One of the rocks in the study was the infamous ALH84001, which contains etchings that some scientists have interpreted as being created by microscopic life forms. Shuster said the rock could not have been above freezing for more than a million years during the past 3.5 billion years.

I'm sure someone has told me at some point (I've been to conferences where this was presented & discussed), but how do these guys know this rock came from Mars? And how do they know that the parts they were studying contaminated while they were on the earth. I wish MSNBC and the rest of the popular media would delve a bit more deeply on this kind of stuff.

join