It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is this giant bug?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I would NEVER eat or even touch any of the creatures shown on this entire page! I for some reason have never been able to eat things that appear gross or freaky looking. It's why I don't eat any seafood except for canned tuna. Things that aren't cute or furry when they're alive just don't do it for me. lol

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

If I didn't know any better I would say it's real. The shadow of the women is not cast in the water. That is a reflection, logical based on the angle of the camera. Shadow is something different it depends on the angle of the sun. The water ripples are superimposed on the image of the crab. That's it, the rest of the image is unaltered.

That deep sea bug thing does look like it came from Starship Troopers, that flame thrower bug.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I say it's a fake, look at the line of light reflecting off of the water.

It stops for no reason over the top of the horseshoe crab.

Also the bottom is just sand around the HC but it's rocky everywhere else.

REALLY good job on it though.

If such a creature was around there would be more than just this one pic, look at the size of the net, no way they're catching that

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I don't know what it is?

But I betcha, if it was boiled up

it would taste really good dipped in butter.

Would anyone know how to clean that thing?

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I agree that its a Giant Isopod. Here is additional information on them, with a confirming picture (albeit of a smaller specimen). en.wikipedia.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> en.wikipedia.org...

The original posted picture is obviously the same species, although an unusually large individual, possibly from a greater depth, an example of the "gigantism" mentioned in the Wikipedia article.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
You wanted to know what that big bug is...here ya go! I found the following subsection at :

oceanexplorer.noaa.gov... opods/isopods.html

"One such species, Bathynomus giganticus, is found in water up to 1,000 m (off the Gulf of Mexico and the South Atlantic coast of the U.S.); it can grow up to about 28 cm in length. It is usually caught in baited traps, which it enters to scavenge fish carcasses. It actively preys on smaller animals as well as scavenges on anything organic that drops to the sea floor."

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Here's the picture I wanted to add to the post above. I don't know why, but sometimes I wipe out EVERYTHING in the post when I try to edit and add links or pics...oh well.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The 'bug' looks like a giant sand flea to me, and I've recently seen one so it's fresh in my memory and looks very similar. The last photo looks like a good fake to me too and possibly the oversized sand flea is a fake too.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow people in thailand eat horshoecrabs!!! I could be rich ive killed like a million of those things!! LOL...

I think its real the hoshoe crab anyways jus t because the fact that things can get really big and we never know about them....

And if there was a hurricane soon b4 that picture was taken its very possible the hurrricanre brought it there!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow people in thailand eat horshoecrabs!!! I could be rich ive killed like a million of those things!! LOL...

I think its real the hoshoe crab anyways jus t because the fact that things can get really big and we never know about them....

And if there was a hurricane soon b4 that picture was taken its very possible the hurrricanre brought it there!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by inspiringyouth
Me and y friends when i lived i n Rhode island used to kill horsshoe crabs with rocks then through them around it was really enteraining...

LOL thats great...
i used to live in narragansett like a block away from the beach we just like smash the crap out of them...

I could be rich ive killed like a million of those things

signature
Still Thinking...

Off topic, for sure, and no offense intended, but is there a link between the vast numbers of things you have killed and the signature you have chosen ?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
No LInk and prctice what you preach because what you jus posted was off topic and in staed of postin excerpts from my post post the whole thing becuse yes i did say that but that was like an asdjective... Thanks have a nice day and if you want to state i was off-topic PM me or a Mod if your just looking to get me in trouble

pEACE eZ

( Mod edit- insults will not be tolerated,)

[edit on 11-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
That horshoe crab is a phony, because there is no way for one of those to get much bigger than one foot.

Once horshoe crabs are an adult they stop growing, so all of them are pretty much the same size.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

No LInk and prctice what you preach you fat hypocrit or however you spell it because what you jus posted was off topic and in staed of postin excerpts from my post post the whole thing becuse yes i did say that but that was like an asdjective... Thanks have a nice day and if you want to state i was off-topic PM me or a Mod if your just looking to get me in trouble
pEACE eZ

That'll be me then I guess.

It was an attempt at a kind of irony (albeit perhaps misjudged) - I was amused at the juxtaposition that's all. I have absolutely no interest in getting you into trouble as you suggest - what on earth would be the point, and further - what would I get you into trouble over ?

I thought that making the off-topic comment would have made that clear, but I guess not ...

I don't understand the 'no link' comment tho ?

[edit on 11-7-2005 by 0951]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
That horshoe crab is a phony, because there is no way for one of those to get much bigger than one foot.

Once horshoe crabs are an adult they stop growing, so all of them are pretty much the same size.

T. tridentatus is the largest of the three Asiatic species of horseshoe crabs and has been reported to have a maximum length of 70cm from Japan and 81cm from China. The largest specimen of this species is recorded to have a total length of 92cm.

www.hku.hk...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, three feet is huge! Still, not as big as the picture.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The image seems to come from Ebaums world. Here are some more pictures from the series called "large Things" www.ebaumsworld.com...

So judging by where its hosted I say they are fake or taken out of context

[edit on 11-7-2005 by Vegemite]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Hehe...hehehe...hehe

[edit on 2005-7-11 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
i know that it is and isopod and 3-5 are really big squids and the last one looks fake.

[edit on 11-7-2005 by gothica91]

Uma

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 01:11 AM
link   

No, sorry...

the guy from Thailand at my work eats giant isopods, with lime and chili.

Don't know if you can eat horseshoe crabs, they always freaked me out at the beach as a kid (jellyfish too), I am so glad they are not so common out here in SoCal.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join