It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The concept of Time just Made UP?!?!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This wierd idea of mine came to be from the inspiration of the ATS member Shaunybaby.

The only reason we have time is because of the earth's rotation and the sun's light moving around our earth...the sun goes up and the sun goes down so easily put...this gives us time...but wait...does that mean time only really exists on Earth?

lets say there was a way to inhabit a planet where it didnt revolve and it was either always day or always night...and this was just the way we had always known it to be...there would technically be no time at all...no one could have envented it...everything would just "be" as xxblackoctoberx has put it in another topic. no time at all...there for...no beginning of time...so the universe being the beginning of time...what would that be..well you could say...its that past...well technically it wouldnt be the past...cause there is no past.

there would be no past present or future...you couldnt make a calender..there would be no phrases like "oh we can do that tomorrow"...or "wasnt that fun yesterday"...cause its all just one big blur of existance...so if one day we meet aliens haha on a planet with no revolving...how could they have any idea with what we call time...or past or future...so technically time does not exhist in space or the universe...we just plain made it up to make ourselve feel better haha...its a crazy thought but basically true in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   
BUT! Just because you throw away a calendar doesn't mean you stop time. It is impossible to live without measurements of time. I posted about this in How can the universe just "be" . Basically, it would be impossible to just live without the thought of time just because things happen.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   
You didn't know this? I'm pretty sure that the concept of time being invented by man was a known fact. Time didn't exist before we came up with the concept.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Ess Why Kay]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

You didn't know this? I'm pretty sure that the concept of time being invented by man was a known fact. Time didn't exist before we came up with the concept.

That's ridiculous and comparable to a kid thinking you can't see them if they cover their eyes. Just because no cave men knew how long a second is doesn't mean that seconds didn't transpire.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
yeah well... I don't think so... Cos' it just works perfectly...

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well, unless you want to rewrite a whole bunch of equations that are time dependent, I would say time is a pretty realistic thing.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
For people to think that the existance of time outside the Earths atmosphere seems like they must feel that everything revolves around what earth thinks...which just seems kinda like ignorance to me. no offense...but say we do meet more intellegent life forms one day..."more itellegent" and they say sorry guys your concept of time is non existant...you only think there is time because of your sun and your premitive spinning planet haha...sorry just wanted to stick that in there haha...but why wouldnt that happen...unless we are "the only ones in this universe" which i just dont believe to be true. which does allow me to believe that there is no "beginning of time" because there is no T=0.

another concept is that maybe we are just so primitive so others that we faulsly believe in time that actually hurts us..or maybe it makes up better... there is no doubt that most american revolve there life around "time". go to bed at a certain hour and eat at a certain hour...things like that...but say...maybe we werent supposed to eat that much. say we were only supposed to eat once every what would be 24 hours. we have up the amount to 3 times because of time. if there was no time we might not do this and only eat when we are hungry...there for not as much obesity and a longer life spand....and maybe we would sleep longer and get more rest making us more healthy and live longer...or maybe we would forget about time all together and sleep randomly and for not enough...god just thinking about all of this makes me crazy haha...

But i do think that in the entire universe there is more ittelegent life forms that do not believe in the concept of time. whos to say we are right?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
But if you go out into space in a spaceship or whatever you are still going to age and die eventually. Hence time

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There is a past, present and future, but humans invented the concept of time to explain that which was and will be.

Outside of Earth, time definately exists. If it did not, every star would be initially forming while at the same time, for the big guys, going supernova while the others die out. Comets come periodically. There is a sequence of events in astrophysics, therefore proving time, in that sense of the word, exists outside of our planet.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Time is a human concept, there is no "time" before we counted the first sun rise and fall. However things still happend, just to no technical definition of time.

So, mars has much longer days. Mars colonists can adjust to that different time,and it will be different #'s but it will be a mars perception of time.

Time can be as long or as short as you want, but time will always be there. Even if there was no description of time before man came, the planets still changed and aged.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Exactly, man just came and gave time some measurements to break it down for us to use. Like I said before kind of, it's not like you could just be born without a concept of time.. let's say by yourself somehow in the middle of space (hypothetical of course) you would not sit there forever never aging just because you never heard of the concept of time, you would eventually grow and shrink and die.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I think we need to define what time is, then. Is time the concept of changes in environment that happen sequencially, or is time the 60 second minute? If time is the concept of environmental changes (space has an environment, too) happening in a sequence of events, not all at once, then time was not made up by humanity, it was explained by humanity. However, if the concept of time is based on a calander, it was purely created by man to help him quantify the former definition.

Odd

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
the measurements we use to determine spatial dimensions (things like inches and meters) are every bit as arbitrary as seconds and minutes... but that doesn't make space any less real.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
true...abosolutly true...other they the fact that you age alot slower then you would on earth with a gravitational pull, you will die eventually....but that is not time...thats life span. life span and time are different. unless i guess you start using life span as a measurement..."hey bob, you wanna go play miniture golf?" "when? this life time or nice life time" haha..."time" the deffinition of "time" does not exist outside of earth...now this does not mean that your body will not age and die. but our concept of time im saying could be so premitive to what ideas could be out there.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
"How can we go forward into something that doesn't exist?" - Quote from someone here on ATS

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The definition of "time" not existing outside of earth is only true if you are talking in the most literal of ways. Ok, the word "time" doesn't exist out there because there is no one to use it. A life span is the time a person's life spans.

" The average or maximum length of time an organism, material, or object can be expected to survive or last."

Haha, so the literal word "time" might not exist. But the actual thing does.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
imo time is a just a measurement invented by us to organize things around here.

years, days, hours minutes, seconds, microseconds, nanoseconds.

One way to observe time is to consider other measurements, miles per hour, feet per second. speed = distance/time

you can deduce ( right word ?) then that any observation of speed, or movement proves time exists.

make sense ?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
hmmm...Syrinx actually proves a really good point...i wonder if this would be another way tho? if it wouldnt be..how long it took to get from point a to point b. because there "how long" iunno...this is a crazy thought.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
But if you go out into space in a spaceship or whatever you are still going to age and die eventually. Hence time

it's stating the obvious that we will die. yet, the only significance time has to do with our death, is by our calculations we'll last for about 70 years.

however, without the sun and our orbit around it, there would be no need for time to exist. therefore, the only reason why there are seconds, minutes, hours, day, months, years and time is because we created it due to our position in our solar system. in theory, a way to keep track of where we are in the solar system. hence, if its winter in england, that part of the earth is further away from the sun, and when its summer, that part of the earth is closer. so the time scale that we have created...why should that exist elsewhere in the universe? perhaps it doesn't and therefore there never was a begining, middle or end for the universe.

im finding this concept hard to grasp myself, and even thinking whether or not it is plain crazy. yet, it seems to be making more and more sense to me.

i know there won't be a mass burning of all time keeping devices, yet when we measure speed, we measure distance and the time taken to travel that distance. miles per hour and miles per second for example. the way we have created time, is a way to keep track of certain aspects of our everyday existence and to explain the concept of passed, present and future. what i think im saying is that there is no passed, present or future...there is just one singularity. in theory this leads back to the universe being infinite, never having a beginning or end. this means the concept of time within the universe is irrelavent. its only relavent in our existence because of our position in the solar system.

[edit on 6-7-2005 by shaunybaby]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The measurement of time and therefore speed has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the passage of time. On other planets there may be 3 zongs in every zick, 58 million blegs in a fregn, it makes no difference, the passage of time continues the same, so long as we are all made of the same subatomic particles that follow the same relativistic quantum changes.

imo of course

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join