It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do aliens have to be hostile?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hello again,

Lots of topics on this forum are about alien takeovers, aliens destroying the world, and aliens conspiring with the government to do generally bad things. Why can't they be friendly? Why does everybody think that they would destroy Earth?

My reasoning for this is: why destroy Earth? It's full of natural resources and can support life, so why destroy it and all of its lifeforms? That doesn't sound very reasonable to me. It sounds like something a Viking group or something would do.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Everyone doesn't think that.

Some people watch to many movies.

If Aliens wanted to do us harm , why hasn't that happened .

If Aliens wanted to attack why not attack when we were an easier kill, like in the '40s .

That didn't happen , so it would be reasonable to think it isn't going to happen now , or in the future.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I think it's just more interesting to talk about invasions than aliens helping us, which is probably why we see more posts on alien aggression. It's probably a factor of watching too many sci-fi movies too

Lost Shaman, do you think that aliens just don't know about us yet? Your point is definately valid, I mean, why wait for us to increase our firepower if they wanted to attack in the first place? However, our solar system is situated in the far outreaches of the Milky Way, so it's a real possibility that aliens just haven't seen the need to travel that far out of the way to see if life exists where we are. By the way, nice Avatar
...Samurai Champloo I'm guessing?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I Agree with lost_shaman. If aliens had the technology to travel million, even billions of light years to earth, they certainly would have evolved beyond the point of being hostile. And if they were actually hostile... We would never stand a chance

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thanks for replying. I agree that if they were hostile, we wouldn't stand a chance (just a drop of antimatter, and KABOOM!!!
)

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by zhangmaster
I think it's just more interesting to talk about invasions than aliens helping us, which is probably why we see more posts on alien aggression. It's probably a factor of watching too many sci-fi movies too

Lost Shaman, do you think that aliens just don't know about us yet? Your point is definately valid, I mean, why wait for us to increase our firepower if they wanted to attack in the first place? However, our solar system is situated in the far outreaches of the Milky Way, so it's a real possibility that aliens just haven't seen the need to travel that far out of the way to see if life exists where we are. By the way, nice Avatar
...Samurai Champloo I'm guessing?

Yeah Samurai Champloo!

No I think they are here , they just don't seem to be overtly hostile.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
If they were hostile I think they would have already destroyed earth!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
We don't really know that, not all aliens must be hostile.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHICKST3R
If they were hostile I think they would have already destroyed earth!

or that they havent found us yet.
in anicase aliens can be hostile if they are just like "us" which is conquering for resources or destroying competition for the galaxy because we are still a young race.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
There is only Two things the " Earth " has , that couldn't be found elsewhere in the solar system, or nearby solar systems, and those would be " Biological life" , and crude oil, the latter being a by product of life.

Water I don't consider , because there are other sources for that when you consider ice is all over the place.

Since they're not here for the Oil , that would only leave one good reason to be here.

It seems unreasonable to me that "one " would destroy " one's " reason for being here.

[edit on 27-6-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As a new member forgive me if i make a point that has been mentioned b4!
Maybe we cannot be attacked by hostlile aliens because our planet is protected by other races that will not allow it!

Kinda like a united nations of the stars that allow civilistaions to develop at there own rate. Not to be helped to evolve quicker and not to be wiped out b4 they have a chance to develop!

Far out idea but hey i guess anything is possible !!!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It looks like we are much more interesting alive

Kind of reminds me of a big "friendly" experiment and guess who the subject is

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Aliens are demonized in the movie so that the films will sell. Who would go to see a warm and cuddly movie? No drama. And i think a lot of perception about aliens is coming from movies.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It's not really a far out idea JP. It's been discussed before and it makes sense. As our technology and means of transportation improves, we form alliances such as the UN and NATO. If a bunch of alien races have the ability to travel to one another, it makes sense that some sort of alliance would form to keep aggressive races in check, and serve a variety of other purposes like trade. Why would we be attacked?

Like it was said before oil could be a reason, but I doubt that an advanced cilivization would really need it. Would they really come here to just drill a few holes when they could probably synthesize something better themselves? Maybe they need other resources such as Iron, Titanium, etc, but they could just as easily find it elsewhere I'd assume. The only reasons I can come up with, and I know one of them has already been mentioned, would be to stave off competition and to enslave us.

These aren't even convincing arguments. I think that our planet would be visited more for anthropological reasons than for aggressive ones.

Edit: oops, sorry Shaman, misread and thought you were arguing that Oil would be a factor.

[edit on 27-6-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I've heard the Galactic UN thing before, it may be possible. We're fighting over the Middle East, and they're fighting over us...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShreddedIce
I've heard the Galactic UN thing before, it may be possible. We're fighting over the Middle East, and they're fighting over us...

I think there's a lot of evidence that Earth is being visited by technologically advanced aliens, but evidence about them, or their political relationships or their motivations is non existent.

Some members would argue that I'm wrong , but I've never seen anything I deemed remotely credible, that address' these issues.

top topics

join