It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hole In the Mountain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I have family friends who live up around Huntington in Pennsylvania. When i say near huntington, i mean around 15 miles away from Huntington and about 5 miles from the nearest town, which is a small town called Waterstreet. They live on a mountain and they own around 125 acres. Around 1 1/2 years ago, i was riding ATVs with their two sons, lets call them M and C. We drove around the whole property and about 75 acres from the house we came upon this humoungous iron hatch thing. It was at least 5 feet in diameter. It was rounded like a half-sphere and had one of those circle things they have on airtight doors, like the circle with the spokes in it. It was on top of this plateau thing and we stopped to look at it. We had no idea what it was. C suggested it was a septic tank, but the fact that it was 50 acres from the house ruled that possibilty out. We diceded to open it up. Now this hatch must of weighed around 300 ppunds seeing how it took all three of us to lift (M and C are both 22 and im 18). i was surprised it wasnt rusted since it was out in the open. but we finally got it open. We looked down and all we saw was a ladder that went down into the dark. M had one of those super powerful flashlights with him and shined it down. All we saw was more ladder. I dropped a rock down their and i barely heard it hit, which i guessed took about 10-15 before it hit what was ever down their. We closed the hatch and rode back only telling my dad and their dad. The weirderst thing is that we went back about 3 months ago and the grate was gone. I mean totally gone...it was nowhere to be found. I found this to be impossible seeing how it was so huge. No animal could of taken that off. What do you guys think it is? My dads friend bought the land around 1973 and has lived their ever since. My guess is that its proably a bomb or a fall out shelter from around the time of the Cuban Missle Crisis, but im not sure

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Well, are you sure you went back to the right spot to look for it again? If it was a bomb shelter, it wouldn't have just been up and moved without some taletell signs around. Besides, I don't think a bomb shelter would be that deep or that far way from a building or have that heavy of a hatch.

Do you remember any other metal tubes or objects protruding from the ground nearby the hatch?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
nah man it was just huge grate in the ground

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Try using one of the satellite photo websites to look for it. You probably were only slightly off.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Pennsylvania, WV, and other nearby states are criss-crossed by old mines, most of them long ago abandoned. This may have been an air shaft to a mine, and some safety conscious individual later put a hatch over it so no one would fall in. The state and local governments don't have maps of all the old mines so a records search may not yield anything.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
or possibly, someone has been watching a little too much "lost" on abc.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There are huge grate coverings much like your describing, that cover OLD MINE SHAFTS........when the shaft is old or becomes unstable, or has gas in it they are grated off to keep unwary people from getting in and getting lost or dying.

Maybe this grate you found is an old mine lock up? you should be able to check that out via the mineral rights to the area......or just asking the county seat about old mines. If they have no idea WHAT it is.....well..........then your dealing with a mystery

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i recently talked to my friends and their dad has no record of their begin mines but u never know in a place that far from civilaxzation. the reason i dont think its a mine lockup is because it wasnt rusted (it was made of iron) and it wasnt locked. We could open it by ourselves. but i still have no idea how it dissapered and i know we were at the same spot seeing how their was a large hole in the ground with a ladder going down and the surrondings were very similar. and i doubt that its large enough to show up on a

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
He dissapears in the middle of a sentance

How freeky

Must have been a gate to the underworld! The LIZZIES have got him now!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
my bad.......i meant to say that its probably to small for a satalite to pick up but ill be goin up there in a week or two and ill post some new findings whenver

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Could it have been covered up. ?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The only way to find out what it is, is to go down the ladder. If it is a mine shaft you will know right away. I personally don't believe you but if you are telling the truth then take a picture of it so that we can see what it looks like.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
You say it wasn’t rusted? Iron rusts fast, so either it wasn’t iron or it’s newly constructed... you've got me interested as I’m in to suburban features.

You could have seen a time warp; I'm not going to explain about how scientists suppose they occur, but lets make that a possibility.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I think you went back to the wrong spot when you tried to find it again. An acre is a measurement of land area, not distance, and 50 acres is a LOT of gorund to cover.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
why on earth didnt ya climb down it the first time ya found it?....yas are only 18 and 22, so technicaly, your still bulletproof
get down it ya wusses!

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
doesn't everyone carry around a high powered Torch while riding quad bikes, I mean thats the first thing that pops into my head when going out for a ride "I need a flash light" hmmmmmmm interesting.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There is a small underground room, next to a creek and bridge, about a quarter mile from my house in suburban NJ. I am pretty sure it is some kind of utility co. thing though.

There is some kind of locked hatch, and a metal ladder going down. I saw people going in there when I went down to the stream as a kid, it was a small room with a flourescent light and some equipment.

new topics

top topics

join