It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hey everybody, with the height of the star wars craze coming up I thought id ask a question ive had for awhile... does anybody know anything about real Jedi like people, or how to train for one? also, do you think its possible, the lightsabers and everything? thanks

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlissfullIgnorance
Hey everybody, with the height of the star wars craze coming up I thought id ask a question ive had for awhile... does anybody know anything about real Jedi like people, or how to train for one? also, do you think its possible, the lightsabers and everything? thanks

Possible? Yes. Probable? No.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Every Jedi needs to build his own lightsaber, and here's how you go about it

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlissfullIgnorance

A couple of days ago I read in the newspaper that Lucas loosely based the Jedi concept on some old Japanese group. I can't recall whether they were real or mythical, or even what the spelling was, but it was something close to Jedi. (Judai, Judi, something like that) As for lightsabers, I saw a thread on ATS a month or two back about that, I think we basically concluded that you could build something that looked a lot like a lightsaber, but it wouldn't cut through anything.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
As a matter of fact, "Jedi" has become an established religion that is officially recognized by New Zealand and the UK. You can actually check 'Jedi' on your census forms. The is a recent thing. Others debate that the 'Jedi' religion has been forming slowly over the past 5000 from all sorts of ancient teachings from all religions and reaches of the world. It's only recently that these teachings have been given an actual name.

And yes, a lot of the philosophies behind the new 'popular' Jedi religion come directly from George Lucas's Star Wars... But where do you think he got those philosophies from?

[edit on 15-5-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think there are possibly people that undergo training similar to the Jedi, and have beliefs very similar to them, but I don't know if they will be using 'The Force' to fight off the evil Empire. I also think that lightsabers could be a possibility if scientists worked on them, for from what I understand, they are concentrated beams of extreme heat? One thing I never got though was, why in a time that is so advanced are they limited to a weapon like a sword?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
why in a time that is so advanced are they limited to a weapon like a sword?

Which do you think is more badass? Ray guns or lightsabres?

Anyways....even if there was a way to make one, how could you even control how long the blade is supposed to be? It look just like a beam of light to mean, and that it would just keep extending.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Evan if we were to invent a light saber itd be pretty much useless. Theres no way anyone would be able to block a bullet with one. Any1 with a lightsaber would be an easy target.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Jedi is a recognized religion in some parts of the world, that's true.

In fact, I read somewhere, according to a recent census, there are more Jedis than Jews in London, maybe all of England.

Pretty whacky, no?

And lightsabres aren't practical, due to energy limitations. We have the technology to create fun toys like you see in the movies, but we don't have reliable, steady power to make them work.

It's a real problem for weapons designers, because they have some enormously promising ideas for HEW (High Energy Weapons), but they never get off the drawing board or out of the lab, because the power requirements simply can't be met using current energy storage and transfer equipment.

When cell phones came out, I had a flashback to Star Trek communicators, that was pretty cool...

But as far as Star Wars, most of the tech they use is still impractical from an engineering standpoint, IMO.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

or how to train for one?

I suggest you seek out master yoda, he can train you to be a jedi.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
How is this not in BTS?

Jedis in real life? roflmao, yeah they're every where.

(whats that up in they sky approaching rapidly? IT APPEARS TO BE REALITY)

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
There are a few members of ATS that are Jedi if I remember correctly...

-wD

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
There are a few members of ATS that are Jedi if I remember correctly...

-wD

Jedi by choice, not by natural born talents, no force moves today or super powers. so more like a pseudo-jedi, when one of them picks me up with the force and slams me into the wall I shall concede.

My new religion is NINJA!

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Ninja isn't a reliigon silly boy...

Every human being has the potential to make or unmake reality using their willpower...

I'd say that's pretty Jedi-like, wouldn't you?

Sure, slamming people into walls is theatrical..but shaping fate is much more effective...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
are you saying my religion is wrong? :p

I can do a backhand spring RWAR!

and Ninja Magic is Kuji-In, Kuji-in is the spiritual and mental strength the ninja possessed in the form of hand signs. These hand signs were believed to be able to channel energy. The hand signs were taken from the practices of the early Buddhists.

The thumb represents source of power (Ku) and the fingers represent the elements, from pink to index, earth, water, fire, wind

There are 81 hand symbols, total, but there are 9 primary ones: Rin, Hei, Toh, Sha, Kai, Jin, Retsu, Zai, and Zen.

and ninjas exist :p

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The hand signs are a form of "mudra" a practice of Buddhist and possibly
Hindu predecessors. Some of these practices still exist in certain forms of
Tibetan Buddhism. Check out the mihadmikya forms... known and practiced
by the Japanese Ninja as the mikyo(check spelling)

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross

Originally posted by Omniscient
why in a time that is so advanced are they limited to a weapon like a sword?

Which do you think is more badass? Ray guns or lightsabres?

Anyways....even if there was a way to make one, how could you even control how long the blade is supposed to be? It look just like a beam of light to mean, and that it would just keep extending.

I think a lightsaber would be way more effective than you'd think. Yes, a lightsaber in the hands of an idiot would just end up with the guy killing himself, but you're forgetting the whole concept behind why they would use them in the first place. Lightsabers could be used as a tool to help channel with the force. If you meditated to the point of being so aware of your surroundings that you could sense the path of bullets (or lasers) before they even reached you, exactly what are you going to block them with? Your gun? Your hand?

Anyways, they just look cool...

I think you might be able to make a light saber of you can somehow assign the particles in the beam a half-life that will disintigrate after about three feet... which would be an almost incalculably small amount of time, considering how fast light moves. Does that make sense?

However, the energy required to make a lightsaber beam would just be insane.

Actually, what does this have to do with paranormal activities? We probably ought to make this thread about the force before it gets moved, lol. Oh, and a Ninja Jedi would own...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
arghh, I knew this was coming......star wars is a movie ! its not anything else ! Its based on a good old fashioned hero quest.....

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have been meaning to look into how those of the Jedi are handling things in the wake of the last 2 Star Wars movies.

In the first three, the inspiration for the movement, the Jedi made sense, warriors of nature. From that point of view once a Jedi had matured and contributed something to the Universe he/she/? would be everything but ordered to have a family.

Then along comes Ep 1, and Jedi are not allowed to marry?

So I think it might be interesting to see how those who have taken on the Jedi name and formed it into a religion handle this change. Ahem, most have to ignore the 'do not get married' part now don't they? Sounding more and more like a real religion to me. No disrespect intended, this sort of thing has confronted every religion that I am aware of, usually many times.

A.T
(-)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join