It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Is anyone here a republican? i.e do you want to replace the monarchy with an elected head of state? i myself, am a republican who is extremely right wing and believes that we should remove the head of state and replace it with either

a) more power to parliament
or
b) introduce a president and a senate (which will take time i believe)

whats your views on this? should the UK become more modern and switch from the old monarchy system to a republican system?

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I wouldn't want to label myself as a republican, but I would like to see the abolition of monarchy in the UK.

I just can't abide the idea of people being born into such privilege - for no other reason than that they are 'royal' - while others are born into poverty.

As a democratic nation of suposed equals, we should not be supporting an unelected and ridiculously privileged head of state - let alone a whole family of them!

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Its one of those tricky issues isn't it.

Both sides of the arguements have merits but you can judge where I stand.

Basically I want greater issue deciding powers for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, with a main Parliament in London. To head this Parliament of the UK I want a person whose rank is President, with 4 Prime Ministers (one for each country).

So I want a political leader for the UK with the rank of President but I also want a ceremonial leader for the UK which is the Monarchy.

So I draw from both sides of the arguement

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I think the UK would be better as a republic. Euro style though, definitely not US.

I think we should trust ourselves and recognise the full value of being able to freely choose (and replace) our representitives.

I also think we should stop being blind to the 'costs' of Monarchy.
Primarily the role it plays in supporting the current pretty unique British class system and the entire absent landlord property owning unearned basis for much of the top strata of British life.

......and for those who think this is all about tourism don't worry, the castles and palaces will still be there for people to come and look at - we could even keep on the changing of the guard!

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The million dollar question is;
will we ever switch to a republican system?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
will we ever switch to a republican system?

Are we talking long or short term?

If so what are we taking long and short term to be?

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
in the future, maybe in our life time, would we see a republican system introduced, thats the question.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
in the future, maybe in our life time, would we see a republican system introduced, thats the question.

I personally don't forsee within the next 60 years say that the Monarchy will be brought down...unless something really radical happens, such as a member of Royal family doing something even more stupid than normal or a major change in the political structure of the UK.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I personally don't forsee within the next 60 years say that the Monarchy will be brought down...unless something really radical happens, such as a member of Royal family doing something even more stupid than normal or a major change in the political structure of the UK.

according to www.republic.org.uk..., they have a lot of backing plus whitehall has plans to make a move after the Queen dies or stepsdown

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
While walking home the thought popped into my head, if we become a republic we would surely have to change the name of our country.

To my knowledge we are currently: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Would we simply switch to:

The United Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

or maybe go really radical with:

The Democratic Republic of Great Britain (my favourite)

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   

The Democratic Republic of Great Britain

Sounds too much like a communist state to me

but to be honest, i like the ring to it, and yes we would have to change the countries name if we switched to a republic

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
How about the USB?

The United States of Britain?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
How about the USB?

Where'd the states come from?

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

How about the USB?

England, Scotland, Walses, Northen Ireland I guess, although then we should have The United Nation States of Great Britain.

How about just Britain? Simple, unpretentious, and most people just call us Britain anyway.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paul

How about the USB?

England, Scotland, Walses, Northen Ireland I guess

- Yeah, that's the idea.

How about just Britain? Simple, unpretentious, and most people just call us Britain anyway.

- Awwwww, no fun.

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
i think the name would stay the same if you think about it.
We would still be united even if we switched to a republican system

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Well I would love to see the monarchy go, there is no point in having Kings and Queens when they have no say on the law of the land!

I would also like to see a free Ireland bacause the English stole Irish land, and I think that they should give the counties back to the Irish free state

join