It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The issue of "Freedom of Speech" on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
In the mysterious cycle that seems to drive events and membership on ATS, a recent theme has begun repeating once again, that of "freedom of speech".

We've had a few ugly incidents of new members using their "right to freedom of speech" to create posts containing idiotic slander, name calling, and vulgarity (and then legal threats for taking action against one such member). So we thought it was time to remind everyone what's really going on here.

This is a privately owned and managed website. We are within our rights to establish standards by which we expect members to behave. These standards are clearly expressed in the Terms & Conditions which all have indicated they agree upon registration.

Freedom of Expression and the Free Exchange of Ideas are very important to us, and supported at all times. No topic is discouraged from discussion other than those that clearly conflict with our T&C, or that have an intent to cause conflict (such as posts containing racial hate messages) with our T&C.

Here, your "freedom of speech" is a privilege granted by the owner of this website. Any topic whatsoever can easily be discussed without insults, vulgarities, and taunting language. Our management style, organized structure, and efficient services are designed to created an environment in which members aspire to our higher standards, not scoff at them.

Now that this is clearly expressed, this thread will be included in the new member application message sent to registrants, and included in the U2U welcome message (each contains several important links to board features and guidelines). If you decide to test the limits of our T&C in this regard, you'll find our patience wearing thin.

Thanks for your time.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Thank you Skeptic Overlord for once again blessing us

about time someone stepped in

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Thanks skeptic. THis is definately a much needed thread. I was getting sick of people mocking me in one of my threads.
THis one>www.abovetopsecret.com...'

SInce alot of people will be reading this:
Just because you CAN say something doesn't meen that you SHOULD.
this is always my best advice.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Just because you MAY (be able to) say something doesn't mean you SHOULD

and sometimes

Just because you SHOULD (be able to) say something doesn't mean you MAY

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATS is a privately owned and user operated forum. In the words of Martin Luther, "What does this mean?"

1) There are guidelines that you must follow that you agreed to even though most of us including myself never read them because we think if we operate by rules of society we should be good to go.

2) Moderators are USERS just like you and me that got power. Do they have bias? YES! Do they get offended? YES! Do they sometimes go on power trips and move your thread, warn you, or do something to show you what you said wasn't appreciated by the community? YES!

3) Is this fair? Whatever you think is your opinion and you can say it here (usually if you use the appropriate language) But what do you expect? There are no perfect socieites. People will abuse power and people will abuse priviliges.

4) Members and Moderators abuse power but thats less than 10% of the entire community. So what?

5) Fact is there is no absolute and even in USA where I come from we are supposed to have the right to Free Speech but even the POLICE take that away from us sometimes. Left and Right, Pro and Con will always find different sides to blame but the enteral question is this....

Why does the problem still exist?

We are a microcosm of the world community so unless you fix the problems of the world ATS will still have them.

Anything else to say, oh yeah I forgot....

Get Over It (and no I'm not siding with the admins, I'm still banned from chat!)

Peace Out

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
You have voted 00PS for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I don't post very often anymore here...but I would like to add, that just becuase you have a place where you "can" tell all.......doesn't mean you "should" tell all. Especially in the paranormal field.......

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Is this thread in response to Dr.Horracid being banned?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

banned?
what did the the Doc' get banned for?

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

WOW, I didnt think it would ever happen.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

No. There have been other more recent events with false assumptions of newer members.

Horracid was banned after reverting to an abusive style soon after coming off a temporary posting ban for being abusive. The user was warned and given plenty of opportunity to improve.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Never mind. Skeptic Overlord spoke to what I was
going to say. Our posts overlapped in time & space.

[edit on 5/10/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
all i have to say is a big WOOT to Horacid getting banned

Secondly, while i hold freedom of speech very dearly in society and real life and dont think it should be infringed upon, we are in internet world here and the admin does provide an entertaining service to me for absolutely free, so I have no problems in being a positive and constructive member of the community as long as i dont get my right taken away to chat and be extremely funky

thanks,
drfunk

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
as i dont get my right taken away to chat and be extremely funky

You mean, privilege , correct?

(Just a gentle reminder of the main topic... in this realm, you have "privileges" granted through the good graces of the owner.)

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Just a gentle reminder of the main topic... in this realm, you have "privileges" granted through the good graces of the owner.

You rock skeptic. I wish everyone was a tad bit more grateful. (i am not excluded)

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Good thread.

Many (MANY) posters need to remember that when they post they invite comment. Comment may or may not be to their liking.

If you can't take the heat- stay out of the kitchen.

Brags and slams usually have a way of coming 180 deg.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Yeah, i guess i took some things too personally. My fault.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Other than the blantent arse kissing this thread has produced, I would tend to agree with you.

And we all know that doesn't happen very often.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Other than the blantent arse kissing this thread has produced, I would tend to agree with you.

My sentiments exactly.

But, yea, while it may not seem fair to some people, it wouldn't seem fair to those who owned the site and couldn't do what they wanted with it. At least that's how I thought about it when this concept was introduced to me earlier.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

as posted by Jamuhn
....it wouldn't seem fair to those who owned the site and couldn't do what they wanted with it.

Creating your own messageboard or forum anytime soon, Jamuhn?
One where the words "freedom of speech" are in no way restricted or infringed upon?

Btw, will there be rules and guidelines? If so, you will probably be restricting "freedom of speech". Will you ban members? Will some of those bannings be a "freedom of speech" issue?

seekerof

[edit on 10-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine

Well as far as my ass is involved, "You can't touch this".

Quote by MC DeltaNine.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join