It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cat breed identification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
i have a cat and have been trying to figure out what breed it may be. i have had him for at least 10 years and have had no luck figureing it out.

at first glance he is pure black. but at the ruff at his neck or if you back rub his fur you notice that his fur is white on the bottom and black at the top. his nose is black but the rest of his skin is white. (don't realy know if this is strange or not). his eyes are green. everyone who sees him comments on the strangeness of his two tone fur. he also seems to be very vocol as if he is trying to talk to you. he is very loyal to family but totaly disdanes everyone else (though he seems to only tolerate my father
).

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Unless it is a pure-breed you are going to have a difficult time figuring out it's ancestory.

4 main attributes are head shape, ear shape, Fur, and Eye shape.

I might suggest checking out a cat breed book and seeing what you can find

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Most cats have white skin, even the one with black fur. I know thsi because i used to be a vet assistant and i had to shave many many cats before sending them to the operation room. Black cats usually have 2 shades of color ... i had a balck cat , whose roots were dark brown..If your cat is over 10 years like i think you said, than the white in the roots is a sign of age. My other cat also black is now close to 17 years old and tho is coat is all black the roots are snow white.

Concerning the breed, well........... most cats around are descendents of the "Common European" cat, brought in ships by sailors... but you can always check it with book sor even online.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
even as a kitten he had the white/black fur. it is true that he is starting to "show" a bit of white fur since he has gotten older.

i have looked through many books and web pages trying to figure out his beed.

one reson i would like to know is that i would like to have an offspring of his arround as he is starting to get older. he is fully capeable as far as i know for produceing offspring as i could not face neutering him any more than i would have it done to myself. i think that neutering is cruel.:shk: i just think about how would i like that done to me. he is a big loveable suck

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
There is only ONE breed of feline. Its called : CAT.

And I have 4 of the little sh@t heads.

Here's one for free if you want it:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Mean skippy! How could you run me over with your truck that way....

Here is a good site that identifies the markings of domestic cats...

www.fanciers.com...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
skippy that is truely tasteless

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
skippy that is truely tasteless

I love cats, I have 4 of them (and 2 dogs and 2 birds as well!). But putting that all aside, that pic has been around the net for years...Why? Because its hilarious. Look, the cat was tragicaly killed by a car, nothing funny about that and nothing we can do about it. But, for somebody to come along and put that sign there, thats truly classic. A great way to make a sad situation funny. You say its tastelss like they killed a cat just for the photo!!

Want to see something tastelss? Then check this one out:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
thanks for the link imgnyc. it seems he is a asian smoke an offshute of the burmese family.

the description matches him to a tee. especialy about the warning not to let themroam outside free. we always take him out on a leash. when we lived in a townhouse i used to let him roam while i sat out and read. he would get himself arround something and just patiantly wait for me to come "rescue" him with those big eyes of his asking for help
. we have always wondered about his "talking" to us, seriously he seems to talk, you say something and he will answer. my neibour will talk to him through the door or window quite often when i am not home. she has always been amused by this comunication.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
thanks for the link imgnyc. it seems he is a asian smoke an offshute of the burmese family.

the description matches him to a tee. especialy about the warning not to let themroam outside free. we always take him out on a leash. when we lived in a townhouse i used to let him roam while i sat out and read. he would get himself arround something and just patiantly wait for me to come "rescue" him with those big eyes of his asking for help
. we have always wondered about his "talking" to us, seriously he seems to talk, you say something and he will answer. my neibour will talk to him through the door or window quite often when i am not home. she has always been amused by this comunication.

I can never get my cats to walk on a leash--or even a wear a collar. When I travel with them, I put on the harness thing and attach the leash so they can't strangle themselves, and they act like they can't even walk and just lie there like they are being tortured. My big white cat drags himself along by his front paws like he is paralyzed, occasionally looking up at me and feebily meowing. Drama queens...

My cats talk too--especially my Manx (he's a stumpy Manx). He'll answer when you speak to him, and makes all sorts of noises depending on whatever he's encountered. Here's a picture of him singing (opera, of course.) I especially love it when he sings at 5 am...

It annoys the hell out of my other cat, though...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
walking a cat is a misnomer.
you do not walk a cat you basicaly put a long rope on the harness and let them wander around as THEY please, while standing by to keep them from tangleing themselves up. he will try not to let me get his harness on, but once in he knows we are going out and is fine. i recomend the "figure 8" type as the others are easy for a cat to escape from. heck just getting him to the door is a challange. but once at the door he will go through as soon as the door is open enough to slip through. they realy are drama queens

yes night calling can be fun. especialy when one has a full male

the question when one has a cat is. who realy is the pet? the cat or the human. cat's believe we are there for their enjoyment

i have to say that some of my spookie's(what else do you call a black cat that sneakes up and trips you in the dark lol) behaviour that we have found so weird ends up being part of his bread's traits lol. he is so funy at times. especialy when he feels his rightfull throne is on your shoulder.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Man, if you were able to walk your cats, I'd have to give you a lot of credit. The fact that they will walk when wearing the harness is pretty amazing--did you start using it when they were young? I adopted my cats when they were a couple of years old, so I think that it was too late to train them. The only time I use the leash is when I have to fly or drive with them and I have to take them out of the carrier at some point.

Both of my cats are neutered--it is difficult to keep intact males indoors without them destroying your house. They are still quite vocal and playful, even at 6 years. The Manx is especially hyper and can be loud--the white cat is just a mush.

Spookies--that's cute. I have quite a few nicknames for my cats---I've been calling Romeo (the Manx) Power Cat, because the other day he jumped from the floor to the top of the refrigerator. Leo (the mush) is usually called "the Leo-tard" because he is a spaz. Lately, he has been trying to catch birds he sees through the window, but keeps bumping his head on the glass. He's a little dopey.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
yah i started him on a leash when he was a kitten. we couldn't let him roam free as the cayotees were haveing a bad time feeding themselves all sorts of cats and dogs became a nice snack. and i wasn't in the country i was in a city with over two hundred thousand. it had been a bad winter for the cayotees. i learned the leash was probably a good thing whenhe would tangle himself up and wait "patiantly" no calling or anything for me to "rescue" him he would just stare up with his bright eyes as if he couldn't understand why he suddenly couldn't wander back. basicaly i have a 20 foot rope that he roames arround the yard with, and youy just try to pass the rope behind stuff so they don't tangle up.leaveing them alone tied up is a bad idea i used to let him out onto the fire escape untill he was attacked by a neibors two cats.luckily he didn't get hurt too bad, but he did some nice damage to at least one of them by looking at the blood that was in evidance. by the way never, never pick up a pissed off cat it will hurt.

you know everytime i have taken him to a vet they try to tell me that he will be less agressive if he is neutered. that is bs plain and simple. this cat is the biggest suck arround. agressive? yeah as long as you consider escape and evasion agressive. my last cat who was neutered on the otherhand while he was still young, was the top cat in the area. i used to watch him beat up other cats, coons, even a big rat on ocasion. keep in mind he was huge.he used to use a fence post as a scatching post to a height of about 4.5-5 feet high. counters were no problem for him to streatch up and get stuff from it (no jumping required). to get him to have to reach a treat on his hind legs you had to be standing up. he was an out door cat. home was a nice place to relax, grab a snack and get attention. to be honest he was the biggest "housecat" i have seen with no fat on him.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by drogo
yah i started him on a leash when he was a kitten. we couldn't let him roam free as the cayotees were haveing a bad time feeding themselves all sorts of cats and dogs became a nice snack. and i wasn't in the country i was in a city with over two hundred thousand. it had been a bad winter for the cayotees. i learned the leash was probably a good thing whenhe would tangle himself up and wait "patiantly" no calling or anything for me to "rescue" him he would just stare up with his bright eyes as if he couldn't understand why he suddenly couldn't wander back. basicaly i have a 20 foot rope that he roames arround the yard with, and youy just try to pass the rope behind stuff so they don't tangle up.leaveing them alone tied up is a bad idea i used to let him out onto the fire escape untill he was attacked by a neibors two cats.luckily he didn't get hurt too bad, but he did some nice damage to at least one of them by looking at the blood that was in evidance. by the way never, never pick up a pissed off cat it will hurt.

you know everytime i have taken him to a vet they try to tell me that he will be less agressive if he is neutered. that is bs plain and simple. this cat is the biggest suck arround. agressive? yeah as long as you consider escape and evasion agressive. my last cat who was neutered on the otherhand while he was still young, was the top cat in the area. i used to watch him beat up other cats, coons, even a big rat on ocasion. keep in mind he was huge.he used to use a fence post as a scatching post to a height of about 4.5-5 feet high. counters were no problem for him to streatch up and get stuff from it (no jumping required). to get him to have to reach a treat on his hind legs you had to be standing up. he was an out door cat. home was a nice place to relax, grab a snack and get attention. to be honest he was the biggest "housecat" i have seen with no fat on him.

Not all intact males will be aggressive, and not all neutered males are lethargic. But if he is ten and you haven't had a problem, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep him away from females in heat. He will turn into a different cat and spray your house with this unctious smell that may cause you to have to move. Sometimes they do it if other males start coming around also to mark their territory.

I've known neutered cats that have been terrors also. My sister "gave" me her cat--rather she went on vacation and left him with me... forever. He was a 25 lb Russian Blue and he ATE my carpet. He would open the refrigerator with one paw--especially if there was leftover Chinese food in there. He was especially fond of Spare Ribs. I can't tell you how many venetian blinds and sofas he destroyed. And he attacked my wrist when I was sleeping once and punctured an artery. Nice cat.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
lol my friends cat shows just how happy he is by attacking you. you pet him he purrs then his eyes go kinda wild next thing you know he is biteing you. they had to declaw his front paws due to this. they didn't realy want to but with two diabetics in the house there was an infection concern. this darned cat for some odd reason has also developed a habbit of flying due to this. if you don't realize he got behind you and he latches on, when you do the normal reaction he tends to fly. seriously i think that cat has some serious mental problems. a cat that realy deserves a beware of cat sign.

i must say one of the funniest things that i have seen a cat do though was my old cat. when he was still prety much a kitten he had climbed a hydro pole aparently after a snack. well the neibourhood doberman pincer (ironicly named prince:LOL: ) decided to stand below him and bark. we were like oh no he won't want to come down now. well he did come down, it was the one of the funniest things that i have seen. he just looked down at the dog, retracted his claws, and landed on the dog claws extended. man did the dog howl and take off. the darned thing NEVER came near our property again.
so much for being a fierce dog.

top topics

join