It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China testing 140mm smoothbore cannon?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Mostly only Russian tanks or other non-western countries use 125mm, for example the T-72,T-90 or Type 98, while all (or almost all) western tanks use 120mm or less, including the M1A2 Abrams and Challenger 2.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Does that support laser guided rounds? The rounds can't be homing to target if it were spinning can it? Or is there such thing as laser guided rounds at all?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I was talking about the picture taken from the TV show that had modifications from the original Type-98G for example that giant too big to be a machine gun thingie. The lengthened barrel which the TV show claimed to be our new 140mm gun.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Does that support laser guided rounds? The rounds can't be homing to target if it were spinning can it? Or is there such thing as laser guided rounds at all?

Only Ant-Tank missiles, I don't know of any rounds that are fired form the tank that are laser guided, they have laser range finders and designator for aim but I don't know if that counts.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The Soviets fielded a laser guided round for their 125mm smoothbore guns. I think it was called the AT-8 "Cobra" by NATO. It was supposed to be effective out to 8km.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Israel also has a laser guides round that be used in 120mm NATO guns like the one the Abrams uses. Don't forget the 152mm gun/missile system that the US used back in the 70s. Didn't work too well but the idea was sound.

[edit on 4/26/05 by jetsetter]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The Soviets fielded a laser guided round for their 125mm smoothbore guns. I think it was called the AT-8 "Cobra" by NATO. It was supposed to be effective out to 8km.

What did the laser do? Could the round change direction in midair or what? And 8km did the laser have something to do with the extended range?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Umm, no. Range is off by 4km (1km = 1000meters).
Try these:

Krasnovia completes fielding of the T-80 tank. The T-80 provides the OPFOR with a distinct advantage over the T-72 with its AT-8/SONGSTER antitank guided missile. The missile has a MILES range of 4000 meters. Its effectiveness is becoming a significant factor on the NTC battlefield. Refer to the Threat Update on page 15 for more information on actual T-80 capabilities.

Red Thrust Star

And here:
AT-8 (Songster) Anti-Tank Guided Missile

The AT-8 (Songster) is a Russian ATGM. It was designed to be fired from the 125 mm smooth-bore gun. It uses radio for guidance from the gunner. The AT-8 has a flight speed of 250m/s and a range of 4000m. It can penetrate 550 mm of flat steel and 445 mm of sloped steel armour.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Nice work seekerof, I was just recalling bits and pieces from memory. I read about it over 10 years ago, and back then it stated it had a range of 8km.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Errm... who uses L30?

And why do this country use such a short cannon?

Germany uses in the newest MBT version Leopard IIA6M, an L55 cannon

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wodan
Errm... who uses L30?

The L30 designation does not refer to the barrel length, rather it is british model designation for their cannons.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Errm... who uses L30?

The L30 designation does not refer to the barrel length, rather it is british model designation for their cannons.

carzy brits, one L is normally one barrel lengh..

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Errm... who uses L30?

This new longer cannon was chosen over a 140mm cannon that was installed and test on the Leo II it gives greater range, accuracy and penetrating power (from higher muzzle velocity)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join