It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wounded Orangutan seen using a Plant as Medicine for the First Time

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2024 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

We certainly smell smarter

posted on May, 3 2024 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Occasionally, my Pitbull will seek out and eat a certain grass'/weed in the yard or park when he has intestinal issues.

After eating a bit, his behavior changes and he is happier and settled down.

Somehow he associates that grass or weed as a solution to trying to feel better. I wonder if that is a known dog instinct.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I love studying animals, it is very uplifting for the soul.

I love how he healed his wound, it is great to see him thriving.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 02:32 AM
link   

What a great story

No wonder Terry Pratchett chose an Orangutan for the librarian

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 04:59 AM
link   

The problem being the efficacy of natural plant medicines versus modern medicine depends on various factors.

Such as the condition of the animal, and the quality of the medicine.

Possibly also worth pointing out that natural plant medicines have actually inspired the development of a lot of modern-day medications we use every day

Take the likes of Aspirin for instance which was originally derived from willow bark or the opium poppy which is still used to create various opiates like morphine and codeine.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

a reply to: Annee

I think it must be a learnt skill from it's mother or other Orangutans, or possibly as said by Annee. it's watched humans pick the plant, but I think this is less likely as I imagine humans wouldn't use the plant at the site and just pick it?

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 05:26 AM
link   

The most amazing thing about this article to me is the fact that there is a natural plant out there that can be used to heal wounds quickly

Most of our medications are naturally occuring, asprin is a perfect example. We just know the composition and are then able to create them on mass.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I think atleast some animals are smarter than we give them credit for. And I have a feeling we are somehow accelerating their evolution, like they are getting smarter faster because we are around them, even if we don't interact with them, they are learning from us by observing what we do.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: jofafot

I think atleast some animals are smarter than we give them credit for.

The likes of Pigs and Cows may very well tick that box.

I would not expect us to stop farming and eating them through anytime soon.

Any smart or sentient animal on par with humans would probably avoid direct contact like the plague given what we get up to, so there is that.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
In a first for Science and more especially Zoology an Orangutan in Indonesia has been documented applying a medicinal poultice to his face which he had made to heal a gash on his cheek believed to have been cased by a rival male.

The team then saw Rakus chewing the stem and leaves of plant called Akar Kuning - an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial plant that is also used locally to treat malaria and diabetes.

He repeatedly applied the liquid onto his cheek for seven minutes. Rakus then smeared the chewed leaves onto his wound until it was fully covered. He continued to feed on the plant for over 30 minutes.

The paste and leaves then appear to have done their magic - the researchers saw no sign of infection and the wound closed within five days.

After a month, Rakus was fully healed.
www.bbc.co.uk...

The Man of the Forrest , no doubt smarter than we are.

Majestic.

I hope he is fine and well.

posted on May, 4 2024 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: PrivateAngel
I love studying animals, it is very uplifting for the soul.

I love how he healed his wound, it is great to see him thriving.

It shows high intelligence and how some animals think.

posted on May, 5 2024 @ 03:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

Occasionally, my Pitbull will seek out and eat a certain grass'/weed in the yard or park when he has intestinal issues.

After eating a bit, his behavior changes and he is happier and settled down.

Somehow he associates that grass or weed as a solution to trying to feel better. I wonder if that is a known dog instinct.

100% well established, studied, and reported for ages. Domestic AND wild dogs often eat grass for tummy aches. They also do so to combat parasites and anxiety.

posted on May, 5 2024 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FloridaManMatty

Eating grass is a normal behavior for dogs.

I'm led to believe as long as they are wormed it's not a problem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join