It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Kind of an age old question, huh ?

In another thread about the parade shooting, the usual anti gun people showed up and since I didn't want to drift the thread, I started a new one. I have a story and then I have a question for you.

I'll be 60 this year and since the day I was brought home from the hospital, I've been around guns. My parents, grandparents, Aunts and Uncles had guns. Growing up, all my friends parents had guns. When I turned 16, I got my driver's license and since we used to go hunting in the mornings before school, I had a gun in a rack when I went to school. Since I turned 18, I have had a gun either in the vehicle or on my person.

I have been carrying a weapon daily for 40 years.

In that time, I have never accidentally shot myself or anyone else. I've never had the urge to open fire in a crowd and kill innocent people. I have never had a gun stolen. In short, I haven't committed a crime that involves a gun or harming innocent people.

Now the question for all the "ban guns" folks.

Why do you want to punish me for something I didn't do ?

If your neighbor gets a DUI, do they arrest you ? I mean, you have a car and a license, so you are guilty by association, right ?

I've brought this up many times and all I get is "but, but GUNS !!"

www.warrenandgriffin.com...

Texting Kills More Teenagers than Driving Under the Influence
Texting while driving causes 1,600,000 accidents per year
Texting while driving causes 330,000 injuries per year
Texting while driving causes 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY
Texting while driving causes nearly 25% of all car wrecks
If you text while you are driving, you are six times more likely to cause a wreck than driving while drunk.
Texting while driving is the #1 driving distraction reported by teen drivers
Texting while driving makes you 23x more likely to have a wreck

How many of you have bought cell phones for your kids ?

Why would you do that ? Your child is more likely to be killed or injured in a crash from being distracted than by being shot.

Don't you care about your children ?

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Your logic and your comparative examples are sound.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:51 AM
link   
'Common sense' is far from common these days; it's been replaced with media fueled feelz.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:56 AM
link   
gunz are bad, mkay.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Marginalizing and criminalizing gun owners is the best hope they have of someday taking your guns (or ammo) from you to keep you from defending yourself, your family, and your home from the thugs they are importing from the southern border.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Strange, how you stopped short of naming the real situation, our government wanting absolute power over us.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CosmicFocus
a reply to: Klassified

Strange, how you stopped short of naming the real situation, our government wanting absolute power over us.

The insinuation is there, I didn't feel the need to elaborate further.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Marginalizing and criminalizing gun owners is the best hope they have of someday taking your guns (or ammo) from you to keep you from defending yourself, your family, and your home from the thugs they are importing from the southern border.

^^ That.

It's about a far left fascist government take over and you becoming an insignificant slave to the state.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:13 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:15 AM
link   
originally posted by: DAVID64

If you text while you are driving, you are six times more likely to cause a wreck than driving while drunk.

So is it CARS or MOBILE PHONES that are doing that damage?

A bit like asking if it's GUNS or BULLETS that can also do harm.

It's always PEOPLE that hurt PEOPLE in ALL these scenarios.

Don't give guns, cars OR mobile phones to people with the mentalities of CHILDREN and all will be better.

Screw Entitlements, they have messed the world up. People need to EARN them first by showing responsibility and accountability beyond being able to read and write.
edit on 15/2/2024 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Your plan sucks because they would just make it impossible to ever earn the right to own a gun. The reason it's not restricted is so there is so many in circulation ready to go if and when needed.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yeah, but when your guns are out the way, us Brits can make you all drink Tea and make you damn well like it!!

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Criminals and eejits always spoil it so decent folk can't have good things.
It's almost as if we are not all the same.

Identity politics based on feelz and lying about the fact humans can differ greatly is what's wrong.

This is easier handled in homogeneous sicieties, you kust have to deal with your homegrown criminals, which however, would come from the same culture.
So you can easily implement new rules.

Now that we are apparently all clones and equal, means that innocent or normal folk get the same treatment as the misfits.

I wish we could just go back to tribalism with a maximum of 150 people.
Some tribes would be much better to live in rhan others.

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   

"I have been carrying a weapon daily for 40 years.". Ditto, David.
And, thank you for doing so all these years. M.S.

*1973 CCW Miami, Dade County - 2024 CCW Dearborn, Wayne County

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

Yeah, but when your guns are out the way, us Brits can make you all drink Tea and make you damn well like it!!

Ummm...well...as long as we don't have to salute with our pinky when we sip that swill...

There's only so far we can be led by our nipple rings...beyond that we can not go...no sir...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I know for me I've always been of the mind that there should be more education around owning a gun, I can get behind it being a right, but at a minimum an intro to pistol and safety class before you get one isn't a hard ask. I'm pretty far left, I own and enjoy shooting my guns, but I also treat them with the appropriate respect. The amount of idiots I've seen at public ranges is stupid, glad I have a private range now.

originally posted by: DAVID64
Kind of an age old question, huh ?

In another thread about the parade shooting, the usual anti gun people showed up and since I didn't want to drift the thread, I started a new one. I have a story and then I have a question for you.

I'll be 60 this year and since the day I was brought home from the hospital, I've been around guns. My parents, grandparents, Aunts and Uncles had guns. Growing up, all my friends parents had guns. When I turned 16, I got my driver's license and since we used to go hunting in the mornings before school, I had a gun in a rack when I went to school. Since I turned 18, I have had a gun either in the vehicle or on my person.

I have been carrying a weapon daily for 40 years.

In that time, I have never accidentally shot myself or anyone else. I've never had the urge to open fire in a crowd and kill innocent people. I have never had a gun stolen. In short, I haven't committed a crime that involves a gun or harming innocent people.

Now the question for all the "ban guns" folks.

Why do you want to punish me for something I didn't do ?

If your neighbor gets a DUI, do they arrest you ? I mean, you have a car and a license, so you are guilty by association, right ?

I've brought this up many times and all I get is "but, but GUNS !!"

www.warrenandgriffin.com...

How many of you have bought cell phones for your kids ?

Why would you do that ? Your child is more likely to be killed or injured in a crash from being distracted than by being shot.

Don't you care about your children ?

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Well... When there is a gang shooting that starts out as a fight and escalates into a mass casualty event in a populated area it becomes both a "mass shooting" and an "Active shooting" per statistics.

So newly refined statistical categories can make it seem really bad as more gang shootings get included in statistics that previously weren't.

I don't think the problem is the guns so much as the "mass shooting meme". The new 'viral' martyrdom complex. The new encapsulation of un-dealt with mental disorder boiling into a malevolent final validation for whatever was getting ignored.

It runs the spectrum. White replacement, Mexicans at Walmart, Transactivists shooting Christians, liberals using AR's ironically. All share the same thing, their own marginalized snowflakism pushed them over the edge and they picked a common motif to have their madness recognized. Goin' a mass shootin'

You can't really remove the madness. People take on parades with Yukons and Tahoes without guns. You're actually more likely to increase the marginalized snowflakism if you give people MORE reason to feel marginalized.

I also think the mass shooting phenomenon is in direct proportion to HOW F*CKING PISSED OFF the average person is at opposing political opinion. Like how angry they get in response to the news.

Like the number of "deranged human events" (D) is proportional (∝) to the average level of anger in response to differing opinions (A), with the proportionality constant as k.

D ∝ e^(-kA)

To die unsung would really bring (some) down
edit on 15-2-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Valentines day has passed and like the hopeless romantic I am; my valentine has a new baby Glock.

nationalinterest.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

Don't you get her one every year?

posted on Feb, 15 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My first gun was a bb gun, I got that when I was maybe seven. A few years later I was allowed to go out by myself with it, I was properly trained by then. At around ten, I was taking the 22 out by myself to practice at the farm, and hunting small animals with it. I shot killdeer and chippies before that with the bb gun, but nothing big enough to eat. Other kids who did not have a father like I did that shoved safety as important down my throat, weren't getting to use BB guns till they were nine. They were not allowed to go hunting by themselves with a twenty two rifle when they were in fifth grade either. I understand why their parents did not allow them to have a rifle, when I went out hunting with them they were dangerous, they did not get proper training with using a gun

At thirteen I got my first shotgun, liked going to my uncles farm and hunting partridge with a shotgun.

Back those days in the sixties, almost every kid in school had matches and a pocket knife....yet nobody ever got stabbed by one. Sometimes kids would cut themselves cutting open a box or envelope with a knife...but nobody in the area stabbed or threatened anyone with a knife. By seventeen, most boys had guns in the area where I grew up. There were no school shootings or people shooting at people they did not have a gripe against. Sure, sometimes a person shot at a person who wronged them badly, and there were also some people who did suicide by cop. But most people weren't psychopaths. In the cities, gangs and dope dealers were warring, but not around here. Cops let the gangs trim their populations in the cities, they let them fight against each other to keep their numbers down.

I have guns, and now I have to put a trigger lock on my pistol. If someone breaks in at night or a bear crashes through the patio door, I have to try to remember the combination for the gun lock...which if I am stressed, I might have to ask the crook to unlock it so I can protect myself because I would be shaking so much I could not do it. Michigan had to make it more difficult for honest people to have a way of protecting themselves I guess. I am sure that the bad people won't put the trigger locks on their guns.

We have a problem with society. Now they are pardoning criminals so nobody can identify if a person working on their home is a criminal. I would like to know if someone a contractor hires is a seasoned thief...but records will disappear. I will have no way of knowing if a person is a crook and what is more important, the cops won't know either. People who were convicted of stealing three times will now get the same penalty as a first time offender that made a misjudgement but will learn...not anymore, they know they will not get a worse sentence for a second conviction now.

They are taking away the honest and good people's ability to protect ourselves from criminal minded people. The bad people are not going to give up their guns, and if all the law abiding people gave up their guns, there would definitely be more armed robberies. Thieves will know people don't have guns to protect themselves.

By the time police get to your house, the crooks will be gone because there will be more people doing criminal activity.

But common sense is evil nowadays I guess, you are only a guy or gal if you want to be. I am glad I am sixty eight, I won't have to put up with this screwed up society much longer. I would hate to be a teenager that is honest and wants to trust others, life would be hell. In another ten years at the rate things are changing, Sodom and Gomora would be considered paradise if this progression of chaos keeps up. Especially if they make eating meat unacceptable to us regular people

top topics

<<   2 >>

join