It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Checking on the status of the website

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: FlyersFan

I’m just curious, why are you so sure that the Godaddy domain doesn’t auto renew?

Would you really continue to pay for the domain if you were the alleged owner?
I sure as heck would NOT.

IMHO, it is like adding fertilizer to a dead tree.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Then again, there isn't much the owner(s) have done that I would have. They've been nothing but unpredictable. And uncommunicative.
🤷

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   
You do realize that the Government is the owner.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Boy, that sure is a fact.
And about as far from transparent as you could get.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Domain names, especially the more common names and ending in .com can be very expensive to buy. There are people who buy hundreds of domain names without ever creating a website. The idea is to gamble on some big company needing that exact name.

For example, in the very early days of the internet, some quick-minded people bought domains of the popular companies who hadn't setup their company websites. Let's say I bought coca-cola . com; how much would the real CC company pay to buy it? There is no price limit, it's like an auction; I have what you need desperately, and I set the price.

So, going back to ATS, I would surely want to sit on the name; that's the true value to the buyer. The site's continued running helps keep the domain name's ranking high, until such time that they decide to pull the plug on the forum and switch the domain to another internet activity.

In the end, holding on to a domain name costs just a few dollars. The hosting is the killer.

Finally, from my experience, the domain renewal doesn't appear in the whois info until the day it expires. If I pay early, it doesn't show up until the day after the expiration of the previous year.

edit on 13/4/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost

That would explain why the owner does such a piss poor job.
Everything the government touches turns to crap.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scratchpost

Good one. I guess it's not a lie, if you believe it.

posted on Apr, 13 2024 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: KKLOCO
a reply to: FlyersFan

I’m just curious, why are you so sure that the Godaddy domain doesn’t auto renew?

Would you really continue to pay for the domain if you were the alleged owner?
I sure as heck would NOT.

IMHO, it is like adding fertilizer to a dead tree.

I see your point.

However, I have been guilty of not canceling subscriptions that I no longer use. In fact, I just paid $160 for Gravity Forms (also for website), and I haven’t used it in two years. Too many subscriptions and too little time.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I feel that we are forgetting one of the most important facets of this enterprise, and that is what theme music should we play on the last day? I mean, life music/theme music is very important. I have a few thoughts on the matter.

1. It shouldn't be a dirge or anything sad or somber. Nope. ATS has been an amazing experience. It shouldn't die with a sorrowful whimper.

2. I think it should be wacky and lighthearted. While I'm not a big fan of Woody Alan, perhaps some of his more wacky movie soundtracks, such as Quiero La Noche, from the movie Bannanas, An Etude for Kazoo ........... or even a Ted Lewis oldie, Where'd You Get Those Eyes?

We've all had a great run here, and learned things, and taught things, and made friends and changed our lives. If those who have purchased this place choose to disrespect it, then at least we can go out lighthearted, and praise the joy this constant has been in our lives.

Late contestant: Manamana

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: argentus
What about this one?

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI2

Always liked that Travelling Wilburys tune -- End of the Line, and I think the video you posted is very appropos. A definite contender and probably de winner, imo!! Just the right bit of melancholy lightness, imo.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Oh, the Benny Hill chase theme. For sure.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: argentus
a reply to: DISRAELI2

Always liked that Travelling Wilburys tune -- End of the Line, and I think the video you posted is very appropos. A definite contender and probably de winner, imo!! Just the right bit of melancholy lightness, imo.

I also vote for that Traveling Wilbury's tune!

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Yep, that get's my vote, too!

For anyone interested keeping it for posterity, I came across this sort of anthem to ATS. It's rap, that's not really my style, but it's ok. I don't know who the artist is, but it must be (or was) a dedicated member here. It would have been great if they could have tried singing my ATS Christmas song.

ETA: Ok, found an old thread that talks about the song and the artist. The bio site is unavailable and I haven't checked out his FB page.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 14/4/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 01:24 PM
link   

How about this? XDDDDDDD

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Nobody likes Benny Hill? I was thinking Benny Hinn next but instead here's some classic Groucho. Fits perfectly.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I must vote in favor of the Benny Hill theme, particularly if I am to honor the whackiness for which I professed to adhere.

edit on 14/4/24 by argentus because: theme, not them

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Ok then.

edit on 4/14/2024 by yeahright because: Bleh

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Oh........ Glory.

posted on Apr, 14 2024 @ 07:05 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking.

They say that everything looks better to the sound of the Benny Hill chase theme.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join