It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions for documentaries to watch?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 07:52 AM
link   
What are some of your favorite documentary films or series?

I really enjoy David Sutherland's work, Country Boys is a 3 part documentary in which he follows 2 boys from Kentucky through their high school years. He also made The Farmer's Wife which is another multi-part documentary that follows a farm family in Nebraska over the course of several years in the early 90s. These types of films are interesting and I love seeing dynamics between people and human interest type things. I like rural settings which may be why I'm way out here in the desert hehe. I would love to live on a little farm just scratching by or in a trailer deep in the hollows of Kentucky. I'm a hillbilly at heart I guess.

The Thin Blue Line, a film from Errol Morris whose ending made my jaw drop just haunting. Truly the only crime documentary made about an actually wrongfully convicted person.

Capturing the Friedmans is a film by Andrew Jarecki that is at times weird and I have to be honest there are certain parts and people they interview in this film that when I watched it with my husband who always has some hilarious commentary on everything made me laugh out loud even despite the heavy subject matter in this film. Does that make me a bad person? I think if you've seen the film you know what I'm talking about maybe. Anyway it is about a guy who taught computer classes in his home and allegations of child molestation by him and his son during these computer classes and the ensuing investigation and trial/incarceration of them both.

Anyways I'm taking some time off work and was hoping to watch something interesting. If anybody had favorites or documentaries they enjoyed i would appreciate. If you've seen any of these i listed, what were your opinions on them?
edit on 9-2-2024 by Shoshanna because: Can't spell

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Five broken cameras:

Nominated for an Oscar®, 5 Broken Cameras is a deeply personal first-hand account of life and nonviolent resistance in Bil'in, a West Bank village where Israel is building a security fence.

Ukraine on Fire:

The film portrays the events that led to the flight of Yanukovych in February 2014 as a coup d'état orchestrated by the United States with the help of far-right Ukrainian factions. The film's central thesis is that the U.S. had used Ukraine as a proxy against Russia for many years.

With this site becoming increasingly more pro-war I feel it's important to show a perspective that at one time was welcome here. If my documentary recommendations trigger you then I'm clearly over the target. Enjoy!
edit on 9-2-2024 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Honestly don't really watch the news I mainly just scroll the top 4 or 5 stories on a couple news sites just in case somebody nukes something, 9/11 part 2 happens or Barry Morphew finally gets arrested and so im way behind on all the wars going on and im mainly of the opinion that it is all pointless killing people to enrich the MIC. Thanks for the suggestions and they do seem up my alley especially the first one I like human interest type stuff. 2nd one sounds like a conspiracy doc which im always into those.
edit on 9-2-2024 by Shoshanna because: don't take the bait guys.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   
American Nightmare is very good. 3 parts, on Netflix. A crime story that had me going back and forth about what was going on.

If you like the Fortean topics, there's a multiple episode, two season documentary on Amazon Prime called Hellier that starts out as an investigation into the Kentucky goblins, and goes way wider. May be the best of its type I've seen. Definitely something you're likely to want to binge.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

I was waffling about getting Amazon prime because there are quite a few other things on there I want to watch but I legit dislike all these bs streaming services but I think you've sealed the deal. Oh yes. We love all the weird stuff goblins aka aliens? Maybe. swamp monsters, bigfoot, mothman, Montauk experiments
edit on 9-2-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Not really a documentary, but "Murder in Coweta County" is a look at an instance in which an honest lawman went a long way to "get his man" ... who happened to be the sheriff of an adjoining county. True story, btw.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Kismet is in full effect here because I have read the book! Same title. I had no clue there was a movie and upon searching I see the film has Johnny Cash and is available on YouTube. I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:52 AM
link   

If you do decide to get Amazon Prime may I suggest

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   
There are no conclusions, only an ever deepening rabbit hole. There's some Mothman/Indrid Cold stuff in there and a lot more. Mysteries on top of puzzles. It's a ride.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Are you interested in paranormal documentaries? I can recommend several of those.

originally posted by: Shoshanna
What are some of your favorite documentary films or series?

I really enjoy David Sutherland's work, Country Boys is a 3 part documentary in which he follows 2 boys from Kentucky through their high school years. He also made The Farmer's Wife which is another multi-part documentary that follows a farm family in Nebraska over the course of several years in the early 90s. These types of films are interesting and I love seeing dynamics between people and human interest type things. I like rural settings which may be why I'm way out here in the desert hehe. I would love to live on a little farm just scratching by or in a trailer deep in the hollows of Kentucky. I'm a hillbilly at heart I guess.

The Thin Blue Line, a film from Errol Morris whose ending made my jaw drop just haunting. Truly the only crime documentary made about an actually wrongfully convicted person.

Capturing the Friedmans is a film by Andrew Jarecki that is at times weird and I have to be honest there are certain parts and people they interview in this film that when I watched it with my husband who always has some hilarious commentary on everything made me laugh out loud even despite the heavy subject matter in this film. Does that make me a bad person? I think if you've seen the film you know what I'm talking about maybe. Anyway it is about a guy who taught computer classes in his home and allegations of child molestation by him and his son during these computer classes and the ensuing investigation and trial/incarceration of them both.

Anyways I'm taking some time off work and was hoping to watch something interesting. If anybody had favorites or documentaries they enjoyed i would appreciate. If you've seen any of these i listed, what were your opinions on them?

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 11:13 AM
link   

I read the book as well.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I highly recommend all of the Missing 411 documentaries. There are three of them. Check out one called Sir No Face, and if you like it there are two follow-ups called Two Face the Grey and Phantom Rider. Anything from a company called Small-town Monsters is good. Unacknowledged and The Lost Century are also really good. That should give you a good start, but I can recommend a bunch more.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Hellier is also available on YouTube for free.

And you can get a browser extension to get rid of the pesky YouTube ads.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Suggestions for documentaries to watch?

First "documentary" I had the pleasure of working on as an AD. What a disaster....

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundya4k

That looks really interesting TY!

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: cdf21882

I've seen one of the missing 411 films i didn't know there was 3 what do you think it is? Bigfoot? Aliens? Coincidences? I'm on the fence. I've seen i think all of Chad Calek's movies and some things they experience scare the crap out of me. I'm into the paranormal or ghost or extra dimensional stuff. I'm gonna see if I can find the last two you listed though.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

This trailer is hilarious and anyone else who wanted to watch this show immediately here is the archive.org link to the show.

kid nation
edit on 9-2-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Honestly I don't know what it is. Too many oddities with the disappearances. I know it can be easy to get lost in the woods, but still. Glad to see another Chad Calek fan. Yes he has some pretty creepy things going on, and some really interesting stories on his podcast.

originally posted by: Shoshanna
a reply to: cdf21882

I've seen one of the missing 411 films i didn't know there was 3 what do you think it is? Bigfoot? Aliens? Coincidences? I'm on the fence. I've seen i think all of Chad Calek's movies and some things they experience scare the crap out of me. I'm into the paranormal or ghost or extra dimensional stuff. I'm gonna see if I can find the last two you listed though.

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 03:05 PM
link   
It's not the most thrilling documentary but anyone into conspiracy theory needs to see this documentary on the Widows Son since it explains who THEY are, why they hate us, why they have all the power etc. You only need to watch the first 25 minutes to answer these questions.

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 9 2024 @ 08:27 PM
link   
curious case of natalia grace.. so strange and addicting!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join