It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were you alive in the 60s or 70s?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Hehe not gen z. I'm gen z. Or maybe tail end gen x I don't know. Seems like society has become much more coddling of the weak even since the 90s though.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Yeah, I meant Gen X. Typo.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
a reply to: DBCowboy

I WISH! I could talk to someone born in the 1800s. My grampa was born in 1899 and died in 1978 and i always wished I could ask him questions about the 20s and 30s. I guess I'm just fascinated with history. I know my uncle was in ww2 on the USS Hopewell and he had some wicked flashbacks. You did not want to wake him up from sleeping because he woke up fighting.

My great grandmother used to tell me stories of how she and her family were listening to the radio when the Hindenburg blew up.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Living in The UK and leaving school in the 60's i can say the following.

School was strict and kids where not uncontrolable like today. They knew what was expected aqnd just got on with it.

Plenty of jobs for anyone who wanted one. I had the offer of 4 apprenticeships. Kids are lucky to get even 1 offered today.

Women where real women. No false parts added or bits pumped up. They where more attractive in my mind and certainly acted like women and not thugs. To see many over weight woman was rare. Same with the men.

Music was at the top of the game. Virtually every week new artists would appear offering good if not great music. You had to see Beatlemania in the flesh to really understand what it was all about.

People had more respect for each other, crime was far lower and society generally more well adjusted.

TV and film was more refined in some ways, foul language and extreme violence was not abundent as is today.

Life was just more laid back. That's what i found.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Wow I have watched that video quite a few times. When they're dumping the water you can tell something is going wrong but then the fire happens so quickly you can't even really tell what happened. I bet listening to it unfold on the radio would be wild.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:23 AM
link   

edit on 22-11-2023 by Shoshanna because: double posted.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I really like shows and movies from the 50s and 60s. I think it's the slow paced idyllic lifestyle portrayed. I saw a video of the Beatles at a baseball stadium at the peak of their fame and the girls were just falling down en masse it was crazy. They were all fainting. I wish I could have experienced that. Seems like no artists today really have fans that rabid.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Me and my friends were busy trespassing in backyards skating empty swimming pools (the great California Drought) and sneaking onto Federal land to skate the Colorado River Water Project. The Marshalls arrested us shortly after this pic was taken.

Totally worth it

Cool

I was the builder of the perhaps the first skateboard in the UK because nowhere sold them yet.

Boy did we get around.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:37 AM
link   
#1 song Jan 1 1960
"WHY" -- Frankie Avalon

#1 song Dec 31 1979
"Escape (The Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The good old days as people now see them.

We had WARS, THE DRAFT, ODD/EVEN GAS LINES, INFLATION, KENT STATE, VIETNAM, A CROOKED PRESIDENT, ASSASSINATIONS, CIVIL RIGHTS, WOMEN'S RIGHTS.

I laugh when people complain now and say those were the good old days. It does seem we have to go through all that AGAIN because some people have limited memories or don't know their history.

The music was better though.

edit on 22-11-2023 by Disgusted123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Ma reply to: Shoshanna

My parents were born in the 60's. I wish I'd been alive to see people just selling random drugs in the park out in the open, like street vendors. Sounds like a wild time.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Pantyhose were "in," to the dismay of many men, Chevrolet had the best little v-8 ever, the 327c.i., "flower power" and beards were the thing, we were at war in a place we hardly knew anything about, except some sort of "commies" were involved, and sadly, we were shooting college students at Kent State in Ohio.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   

What was your feeling watching the landing live? Were you awestruck? Did it seem kinda fake? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sho, I was confused. At that age, I thought Star Trek was factual and couldn't figure out why going to the moon was a big deal when we had starships zooming around the heavens

Didn't look fake, though.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I was born in 70s here in the UK, and things were very different back then, we got hit at home for misbehaving, we were hit at school with a cane or the sole of a trainer and a copper would clip you round the ear if you talked back. Food was a bit boring except for the lovely Cornish pastie, Im glad the Jamaicans and Indians bought their cuisine with them to spice ours up a bit more. Thatcher was destroying Great Britiaans working class by either closing it or selling it to the hightest bidder.

This was TV back then...
Ads

A kids show called Pipkins

edit on 22-11-2023 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

a reply to: underpass61

That is such a cool picture. It almost looks like another planet! What an experience to have. This is what I'm talking about these kind of experiences don't seem to exist anymore.

They were crazy fun times. The Marshalls released us on our own recognizance after taking our information and charging us with criminal trespass. I was only 15 with no I.D. so I naturally gave them a fake name and address (no computers/internet to verify back then) so we were free to go. The hardest part was getting my friend's mom to wire money so we could get her AMC Matador station wagon out of the impound

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I was born in 1960 on Teesside in the north east of the UK
One of my first memories is of my nana crying on a Friday night in November 1963. President Kennedy had been shot in Dallas
In the UK we had British steel British railways British shipbuilding British airways, and the National Coal Board along with the National grid. It seemed to a youngster growing up, that we were an important place
Within Teesside, all of the above were visible each day, along with a very important chemical giant ICI employing upwards of 30000 souls
Over the 1960s as kids we were aware of the "threat" from Russia of the nuclear bomb, America was our best hope of making sure those evil Russians didn't stop us playing cowboys and Indians or other war games.
As kids at school, we were aware of tales of UFOs We seemed to accept that the mainstream news told the truth no one Questioned the moon landings even if the average household didn't have a good phone line nor even great health care
I, along with so many others wanted the hippy movement to catch on. making love not war seemed a much better logical option to a young lad even if I didn't fully get the making love bit till mid-nineteen seventies
The Doctors police and clergy were only one step away from god in the sixties to us young kids along with an unquestioning belief in teachers and science
So few illicit drugs were around that no one I knew had any experience of such things in the sixties or early seventies although my own mam used legally prescribed "mothers little helper" Diazepam

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Exactly as to what happened in our extended family. We only get together when they are looking for a donation. AKA as a baby shower, christening, etc.

Sad

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I blame the OPEC oil crisis for demise of the greatest toys ever.

www.vintage3djoes.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=27228208]Shoshanna[/post ]

Right, the tunes had to fit into the slots between advertising. It may be hard for younger people to realize but back then the entire expense for all broadcasting was paid for by the program sponsers, there was no listener paid fees. It was all free, but with the price of all those adverts. Even most FM radios worked the same way. TV was the same. It wasn't until companies like HBO came along with the advent of cable delivered tv that people started paying for subscriptions to watch stuff.s

Patsy Cline, oh what a sweet voice. Oh my. I was late to appreciate her, I was so stilted away from country music. I was so limited. But I overcame.

Back in the sixties, there were no portable recording devises, there were only transistor radios and they SUCKED. Short range and tinny sounding, hardly worth the effort. Then along came the Sony Walkman. OMG, that thing changed the world. Good sound and it had a radio AND a tape player so that people could play takes. What a hoot that was. I"m telling ya.

posted on Nov, 22 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Disgusted123

"We had WARS, THE DRAFT, ODD/EVEN GAS LINES, INFLATION, KENT STATE, VIETNAM, A CROOKED PRESIDENT, ASSASSINATIONS, CIVIL RIGHTS, WOMEN'S RIGHTS."

My high school yrs completely...

Kennedy Ass/ grade school...Robert Kennedy Ass/ high school...Beat the draft..was at Kent State, protested Nam as. White Panther ...went thru Dicx-on..participated in ..bout everything since 68...

Hey..we stood for women, against war and the "man"..the Establishment..Big Brother.. it was a time...✌️
edit on 11235130America/ChicagoWed, 22 Nov 2023 14:57:51 -060057202300000051 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join