It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists develop drug that may make human teeth regrow.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Wow I find this trully revolusionary if it wasn't for the fact that is a reason why humans do not regrow teeth and is more complicated that many may think.

In order for humans to regrow teeth it will have to be some tweaking of the human DNA to achieve that.

I did some research, and this is what I found out.

Humans can’t regrow teeth because the stem cells that produce teeth wilt away after adult teeth grow in1. The leading theory is that adult humans can’t regrow our teeth because it was better for survival to only grow one well-aligned adult set23. This has to do with evolution and the fact that most mammals have specialized teeth that must align properly in the mouth to be useful for eating1.

Soo I would love to know more about this promising drug and how is going to work in the human body to regrow teeth.

Thank you for your contribution and the scientists will start their human trials July of 2024 and I too think this is revolutionary and since we are all living longer we are certainly going to need a third maybe fourth set of teeth.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Awesome news. Weird story that is related.

My dad was a doctor. I remember him telling me a story some 10-15 years ago that he had a patient who was in the late 90s, almost a 100 and the patient seemed to have new teeth growing in. Like a third set of teeth.

What he and the other colleagues came up with eventually is an idea that all humans have a third set of teeth, but for some reason they don't start growing for us in our adulthood. The idea was to somehow 'instigate' the third growth. They didn't know if this could be done electronically or some other type of stimulation.

It would appear that it can be done genetically. The teeth are there, they just need to get flipped on.

Leaves a whole new weird topic... why do we have a third set of teeth?

I just read of an 85 year old woman who grew two new teeth after being hit by lightning and after investigating it the doctors thought it was due to stress, another weird story.

Here's the news about her, after the digital lollipop news, which is weird in itself.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

originally posted by: ITSALIVE
Now why would our bodies naturally not want to regrow teeth? Seems like there must have been a good reason somewhere…

a reply to: quintessentone

Yes, I have thought about that too, that's why I said I hope the drug will be proven safe.

An ad of the future:

"Have a tooth growing out of your ear, call Bundy and Bundy Law."

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Great technology if taken to its logical conclusion.

I imagine that it may also be quite painful akin to a child teething.

Well there are tooth/gum pain meds to choose from and I just read that vanilla with an alcohol base helps numb the gums too.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: zenartist
I hope they only grow in your jaw to replace old ones .would hate to have them grow elsewhere on your body.would hate to have them grow on your forehead or elsewhere.

Well in the study below I see only RNA mentioned not DNA so I'm not sure if we can strictly go with that, for now.

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on q000000081031America/Chicago3636America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: nickyw
a reply to: ITSALIVE
average age of an Anglo-Saxon was 36, the average age of a Victorian labourer was 22, a tradesman was 27.. in the usa the average for a slave was also 22.. not even the rich needed their teeth longer as the rich Victorian 45 rich American 40.

Balderdash...

Stats like these are total BS, because at those times we had extremely high incidences of childhood deaths, many died in childbirth (babies and moms), and many many more died while still very young. This obviously brings the AVERAGE way way down.

But once one reached adulthood, you had the same life expectancy - or longer - as we do now.
edit on 5-10-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   

a reply to: nickyw
I recall watching a documentary about the Inuit in Nunavut, Canada and an elder was explaining how, before the white man introduced them to sugar, everybody had strong and healthy teeth right up into old age.

So perhaps in their case it was diet and maybe DNA too? No way to really know without a scientific clinicial study.

It was absolutely their diet. The proof that it wasn't 'their DNA' is that as soon as they started eating the 'western diet', they got all of the same diseases as we did.

The Inuit diet was mainly a meat diet

Mainly? It was 100% meat and fat (they ate a ton of fat).

Plants don't grow where they live.

and on the video above the T-Rex teeth were also rock solid strong. So maybe a strictly meat diet is good for the teeth?

Well, we aren't T-Rex's, but yes, a strict carnivore diet is extremely is good for every aspect of health for human beings, who are obligate hyper-carnivores.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

a reply to: nickyw
I recall watching a documentary about the Inuit in Nunavut, Canada and an elder was explaining how, before the white man introduced them to sugar, everybody had strong and healthy teeth right up into old age.

So perhaps in their case it was diet and maybe DNA too? No way to really know without a scientific clinicial study.

It was absolutely their diet. The proof that it wasn't 'their DNA' is that as soon as they started eating the 'western diet', they got all of the same diseases as we did.

The Inuit diet was mainly a meat diet

Mainly? It was 100% meat and fat (they ate a ton of fat).

Plants don't grow where they live.

and on the video above the T-Rex teeth were also rock solid strong. So maybe a strictly meat diet is good for the teeth?

Well, we aren't T-Rex's, but yes, a strict carnivore diet is extremely is good for every aspect of health for human beings, who are obligate hyper-carnivores.

Well maybe not 100%.

And in the summer season people gathered a few plant foods such as berries, grasses, tubers, roots, stems, and seaweeds

www.forksoverknives.com...#:~:text=Pushing%20the%20Nutritional%20Envelope,roots%2C%20stems%2C%20a nd%20seaweeds.

It appears the Inuit ate their meat and blubber raw and drank seal's blood for the nutrients. As well this article explains that their DNA was a may have been a major factor in their health.

Also I suppose chewing raw meat and blubber, which I've never done, may require more chewing and increased jaw exercise for healthier and stronger teeth, what do you think?

Researchers thought maybe it was the omega-3 fatty acids in the meat and blubber that might be protective. But a new study on Inuit in Greenland suggests that Arctic peoples evolved certain genetic adaptations that allow them to consume much higher amounts of fat than most other people around the world, according a team of researchers reporting Thursday in the journal Science.

Even so, Hirschhorn says he's excited about the paper because "it's a clear example of human evolution." Like the genes that have allowed groups that practice dairying to tolerate lactose in milk, it's another example of human adaptations to different environments or diets, says Sarah Tishkoff, a geneticist at the University of Pennsylvania.

In other words: The answer to how harmful a high-fat diet is for you could depend on your genomics.

www.npr.org...#:~:text=Hourly%20News-,The%20Secret% 20To%20The%20Inuit%20High%2DFat%20Diet%20May%20Be,meat%20without%20developing%20health%20problems.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Hope it all works fine and if it does I want some haha.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767

Hope it all works fine and if it does I want some haha.

Me too. ha ha And I hope the teeth come in beautifully shaped and the exact color I prefer. Designer teeth on the horizon?
edit on q000000241031America/Chicago0707America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Have you ever had a kid teething?

Poor wee souls can be in quite a bit of discomfort.

And the pain meds don't always appear to work.

Regrowing teeth will most likely be the same for adults.

Plus point is that adults can obviously tolerate proper painkilling medications a lot better than young children.

It's still hardly likely to be a pleasant experience, yet the result is desirable.

Again promising technology.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Have you ever had a kid teething?

Poor wee souls can be in quite a bit of discomfort.

And the pain meds don't always appear to work.

Regrowing teeth will most likely be the same for adults.

Plus point is that adults can obviously tolerate proper painkilling medications a lot better than young children.

It's still hardly likely to be a pleasant experience, yet the result is desirable.

Again promising technology.

I'll be fine with my CBD oil and pain killers and for sure the result will be desirable. I just hope they grow in quickly.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Growing new teeth would be awesome......as long as the gum grows with it.

Doesn't matter how many sets of teeth you grow....no new gums/gum problems would make it irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
Growing new teeth would be awesome......as long as the gum grows with it.

Doesn't matter how many sets of teeth you grow....no new gums/gum problems would make it irrelevant.

Do you mean gum recession? Yeah I don't know if a person would be a good candidate for teeth regrowing with serious issues like that.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I'll be fine with my CBD oil and pain killers and for sure the result will be desirable. I just hope they grow in quickly.

Might be a while yet quintessentone until the procedure becomes available to the masses.

I think the likes of Clove oil may help dull the pain somewhat better than CBD oil, a lot of people cannot stand the taste through.

As to the pace at which they grow, im not quite sure, or if the growth rate would be any faster.
edit on 5-10-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Might be a while yet quintessentone until the procedure becomes available to the masses.

I think the likes of Clove oil may help dull the pain somewhat better than CBD oil, a lot of people cannot stand the taste through.

As to the at which they grow, im not quite sure, or if the growth rate would be any faster.

The scientists are promising if all goes well it will be available in 2030, that's 6+ years away.

I cannot stand the taste of clove oil so that's out.

Yeah, I wonder if the mechanism can be tweaked for things like that, such as faster growth rate, size, color...the future science is magical.

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I Cannot Wait to hear what the Side Effects are . I guessing Impotence in Men is one of them .

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

I Cannot Wait to hear what the Side Effects are . I guessing Impotence in Men is one of them .

If all the trials are on old people then that won't matter for us old timers and we're the ones that will need the new teeth, mostly. Yeah wait and see.

Actually I read where their initial studies were to address abnormal tooth growth in babies, so I suppose all age groups will be in the trials, but they don't start until July 2024. They may start with older adults, but that's just a guess.
edit on q000000231031America/Chicago2727America/Chicago10 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 02:30 PM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
Well maybe not 100%.

100% for most, yes, some may have had access to some plants, but it didn't make up any more than maybe 1-2% of their diet...

Forks over knives? Sorry, you'll have to do better for a source than that totally biased piece of drivel.

It appears the Inuit ate their meat and blubber raw and drank seal's blood for the nutrients.

They did eat some raw, but also cooked a lot. So? There are lots of carnivoires today that eat raw meat.

As well this article explains that their DNA was a may have been a major factor in their health.

May have. Meaning they are just gyessing.

Also I suppose chewing raw meat and blubber, which I've never done, may require more chewing and increased jaw exercise for healthier and stronger teeth, what do you think?

Nah, I'm sure they just ripped off a chunk and swallowed it down. Especially the fat. No need to chew.
edit on 5-10-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Great technology if taken to its logical conclusion.

I imagine that it may also be quite painful akin to a child teething.

The new teeth would start underneath our existing cracked/rotten/broken teeth and push them up and out of the gum?

That does sound painful!

I hope Tooth Fairy is very generous ($$) when it comes to paying for adult teeth placed under the pillow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join