It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching F22s from Elmendorf This Morning - Awesome!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I’m up in Alaska today and found myself with a Monday to wander around Anchorage. After a nice breakfast and some wandering around to local shops, I had the pleasure of finding a spot go watch F22s out of Elmendorf.

The sounds were so cool - and I have to admit - first time I’ve seen an F22 airborne in person. Amazing, amazing aircraft - beautiful to watch, and sounds more aggressive than the F15s I’m used to.

I can have an award winning IPA with my lunch while watching F22s buzz around, on a perfectly clear (and cold!) fall Alaskan morning? Winning!

🍻

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: VulcanWerks

Personally I’d rather catch the F-16s up there. They still have some wicked cool Aggressor schemes flying around.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Personally I’d rather catch the F-16s up there. They still have some wicked cool Aggressor schemes flying around.

I’d take that, too.

Having never personally seen an F22, this is pretty exciting to me. We haven’t seen it all like you have, Zaph!

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Oh don’t get me wrong, it’s fun watching Raptors, and I enjoy seeing them too. I just love seeing the different Aggressor birds.

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 08:36 PM
link   
1st time I saw the F22 I was with my daughter at the Dayton air show. They are amazing the 1st time you see them, nothing can prepare you for that intense sound!

We live a handful of miles from Wright-Patterson, we are fortunate to see more than a few birds, but we too have a fondness for that crazy F22

edit on 25-9-2023 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
1st time I saw the F22 I was with my daughter at the Dayton air show. They are amazing the 1st time you see them, nothing can prepare you for that intense sound!

We live a handful of miles from Wright-Patterson, we are fortunate to see more than a few birds, but we too have a fondness for that crazy F22

You’re absolutely right about that sound. So aggressive - the power is immense!

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Have you had a chance to hear the F-35 yet? That's a fun sound. Even in military power they're insanely loud.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Have you had a chance to hear the F-35 yet? That's a fun sound. Even in military power they're insanely loud.

I haven’t - but hopefully will soon!

A coworker of mine who is in the Army NG said the Air NG at PDX will be getting F35s soon to go along with the F15s already stationed there. It’s the closest “base” to my home and we get F15s out our way with some frequency (even had two of them come over our house on Memorial Day and give us a wing tip while in formation - super cool and my son was beyond excited!).

Hoping we get some of the same viewing with the F35 once they get them at PDX.

My friend also mentioned something about there potentially being F22s at PDX as a training squadron in the future but wasn’t sure. He sounded pretty confident about PDX getting F35s, however.

We don’t get much in the way of cool military aircraft at home, so, the F35 would be a welcome edition - if it’s not F15s here, it’s only various transports out of JBLM up north.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:37 PM
link   

PDX was supposed to get the Formal Training Unit for the F-15EX, but that has been changed to them getting a new FTU for F-35s as long as the EIS goes through. They'll lose all the F-15s, and become the third F-35 FTU. They'll lose seven aircraft (20 F-35s vs 27 F-15s), but gain far more in capability, and be the third FTU. They'll join Luke and Eglin as pilot training. Seymour-Johnson will begin basic F-15 pilot training, with them getting the more in depth training at their first unit, instead of going through an FTU.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 08:27 PM
link   

PDX was supposed to get the Formal Training Unit for the F-15EX, but that has been changed to them getting a new FTU for F-35s as long as the EIS goes through. They'll lose all the F-15s, and become the third F-35 FTU. They'll lose seven aircraft (20 F-35s vs 27 F-15s), but gain far more in capability, and be the third FTU. They'll join Luke and Eglin as pilot training. Seymour-Johnson will begin basic F-15 pilot training, with them getting the more in depth training at their first unit, instead of going through an FTU.

Appreciate you checking out my intel!

Rookie/silly question here - will the ANG building/facility need to be upgraded at PDX to receive F35s? Particularly security?

I ask as the current ANG area at PDX is pretty old and frankly doesn’t look all that secure - which I imagine is a consideration if they’re going to have F35s on the base.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Oh yes. The infrastructure will get a massive upgrade. They’re going to require secure areas to upload/download information for the aircraft, the hangars will have to be temperature controlled and secured for some of the more advanced maintenance. You’re going to see a significant improvement in the base side of things.

new topics

top topics

join