It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you explain that to me? How so?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What do you call a person who repeatedly asks you to explain the answer to a question which you've already answered (and already explained), but which they just don't "like" the answer to? They already know and understand the answer, but they just keep asking for further explanation of the answer until the explainer winds up stepping in something. What is this argument tactic called? I know I've heard a term for this, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I'll try to provide some more context.

Let's say a boss tells two employees their job today is to mop the floor (just as an example). And, one of the employees doesn't want to do this, so they start repeatedly asking the boss to explain why he's asking them to do it. The employee in question has an ulterior motive; they want to get the boss to say he's instructing them to perform this task because they are (insert- race, creed, sex, religion, etc), when the real reason is just because the floor needs to be mopped. They're essentially trying to get the boss expand on the answer to the point where the boss incriminates himself for something he never intended, just by trying to explain. Then, once the problem-child employee gets this tasty little morsel, they go on a crusade (primarily to get out of doing something / anything) based on the explanation, not the task.

It's like a 'baiting' tactic, and it's a manipulating tactic. And, it can happen any number of a thousand different ways; I'm just trying to remember the term used to describe this tactic / person. They're trying to get someone to say something they 'want' to hear by repeatedly asking them to explain (or expand upon) whatever the subject is. And, one of the mechanisms they use to do this is by responding to each successive explanation with a reply about them "not understanding" yet another explanation.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Somewhat of a confirmation bias maybe?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's not a tactic it is a personality ... flaw
Pathological demand avoidance (PDA)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I'll accept any answer as long as it's based in facts/reality and not just someone's opinion.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: CanadianLoudMouth

I'll accept any answer as long as it's based in facts/reality and not just someone's opinion.

Yeah, but it's all "opinion" and confirmation bias lately. If it confirms your dogma...facts/reality mean nothing.

I remember when Fox news was considered gospel and everything else was fake news.

edit on 13-9-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   

What do you call a person who repeatedly asks you to explain the answer to a question which you've already answered

I am dealing with this right now....
We are so fed up with this person.

There is no answer because the person just wants attention. I also think there might be a little mental illness. I don't say that lightly either. I think there are some people that don't live in reality, except their reality, and that doesn't translate to the real world, where we need to get stuff done.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Sounds like baiting to me, I can’t stand bait bullsh&t, I’m too blunt for that.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Sounds like baiting to me, I can’t stand bait bullsh&t, I’m too blunt for that.

There's people on tik tok talking about this and how they get coworkers/managers to say racist or sexist things and then they sue them and win, and get like 10K and keep doing it, job to job.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Sounds like theft to me. I guess the stare at them with blank face technique should then be employed.

Everybody looking for a freebie handout! Karma will get these people!

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Sounds related to the type known as a sh**-house lawyer. The baiting and ambushing is beyond that, though.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
What do you call a person who repeatedly asks you to explain the answer to a question which you've already answered (and already explained), but which they just don't "like" the answer to? They already know and understand the answer, but they just keep asking for further explanation of the answer until the explainer winds up stepping in something. What is this argument tactic called? I know I've heard a term for this, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

Dude! No need to apologise. The term has come under quite the scrutiny as of late. A person who makes you explain your answer, even though the person knows the ins and outs of the answer, and mischievously gets you to change your answer til it is to their liking? That’s called a “WOMAN”

You may find it hard to locate a definition for it but that’s because ANYTHING can be a woman…

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat

The incel has spoken...

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   
If you want a serious answer, I’d call it “fraudulent inducement” or “tortious interference.” Better!?

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I tend to end this very quickly, sometimes abrasively.

I ask them to tell me specifically what part they are having a hard time understanding. I'm willing to help. Even better if it's in a crowd of people.

If someone is going to play dumb, you have every right to treat them as dumb.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Contrarian is the term I always used.

It's used a lot to wear down people and ultimately win arguments because the opponent withdraws from the contrarian onslaught. Directly or indirectly it shuts down free thought

You see it a lot here on ATS.

I'd like to see this moniker put along with the writer or member designation under our screen names

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

Ha, I knew that was you by just reading the reply.

Kind of harsh don't you think?

Sexist perhaps? still.... let's just put it this way, it is a skill women seem to take to naturally. This falls in line with, those who believe if they say something long enough it becomes the truth. Where as they have just brainwashed themselves

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

The incel has spoken...

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
What do you call a person who repeatedly asks you to explain the answer to a question which you've already answered (and already explained), but which they just don't "like" the answer to? They already know and understand the answer, but they just keep asking for further explanation of the answer until the explainer winds up stepping in something.

Ignorant Childish Manipulative Importunate Troll

Mind Games and Manipulative Questions: Your Guide to Outsmarting Emotional Manipulators

Have you ever encountered someone who skillfully employs questions to manipulate you? I once had a friend who used this technique to influence my actions, emotions, and reactions. She had an uncanny ability to retain information, wielding her elephantine memory to remember every answer I provided, only to exploit those responses for further manipulation. The subtle yet powerful art of using questioning as a tool for control can be difficult to detect, leaving you vulnerable to the whims of these cunning puppeteers.

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

The incel has spoken...

Perfect response

posted on Sep, 13 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
a reply to: Peeple

Ha, I knew that was you by just reading the reply.

Kind of harsh don't you think?

Sexist perhaps? still.... let's just put it this way, it is a skill women seem to take to naturally. This falls in line with, those who believe if they say something long enough it becomes the truth. Where as they have just brainwashed themselves

Men have ruled this realm since beginning of known time… have you taken a look around lately. The delusion and brainwashing is strong amongst the male species lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join