It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Grading for Equity" - Portland Schools Mull Banning Zeroes for Cheating and Not Doing Work

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Yup, a poll for 15 years ago is going to reflect exactly how things are going right now, good job bud. gold star for you

But guess what, nobody is going to go to the ACTUAL root of the problem, the student. They want to blame it on anything else because it's never little Timmy's fault he can't learn what everyone else in the class is learning just fine.

You are viewing that poor vs lowest education things backwards. They are not poor because they are not educated, they are not educated because the states do not have the proper funding to give the schools what they need. Or because the schools use the funding for the wrong things. in the 4 years of HS, the football team got new uniforms every year, same goes for volleyball, baseball and softball. But guess how out of date my textbooks were from history and math, we were using books from 10 years prior while other districts had books from that year or previous years.

But back on point, they never want to blame the student, when in RELAITY, they are to blame for their own test scores/grades

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Yup, a poll for 15 years ago is going to reflect exactly how things are going right now, good job bud. gold star for you

But guess what, nobody is going to go to the ACTUAL root of the problem, the student. They want to blame it on anything else because it's never little Timmy's fault he can't learn what everyone else in the class is learning just fine.

You are viewing that poor vs lowest education things backwards. They are not poor because they are not educated, they are not educated because the states do not have the proper funding to give the schools what they need. Or because the schools use the funding for the wrong things. in the 4 years of HS, the football team got new uniforms every year, same goes for volleyball, baseball and softball. But guess how out of date my textbooks were from history and math, we were using books from 10 years prior while other districts had books from that year or previous years.

But back on point, they never want to blame the student, when in RELAITY, they are to blame for their own test scores/grades

What are you talking about? Did you subtract 2018 from 2023 and come up with 15?

You just proved my point.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Pretty sure 2023 is 15 years from 2008. "Associated Press poll said in 2008" Math isn't everyone's strong suit, maybe you just need more time to figure it out?

And what "point" have I proven?

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Pretty sure 2023 is 15 years from 2008. "Associated Press poll said in 2008" Math isn't everyone's strong suit, maybe you just need more time to figure it out?

The U.S. placed 11th out of 79 countries in science when testing was last administered in 2018.

So we were looking at different stats from different times.

Well I've made my point numerous times throughout this thread so I won't continue to repeat it.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The U.S. placed 11th out of 79 countries in science when testing was last administered in 2018.

So we were looking at different stats from different times.

Well I've made my point numerous times throughout this thread so I won't continue to repeat it.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Top 12% is a bad thing? I'd hate to be your kid bringing home a B in science

Your point is nothing, backed up by few and far between "students" that have had issues learning when others do just fine. 1 student out of 100 does not warrant changing the entire system because they don't deem it necessary to put forth the effort to do the work that ALL OTHERT STUDENTS DO JUST FINE EVERY DAY. But no, lets change everything so little Timmy can feel ,better about himself and not feel bad for getting a grade that he deserved, a F.

BTW, double posting something doesn't make it any better. Just makes you look more foolish than you already do.
edit on 30-8-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Top 12% is a bad thing? I'd hate to be your kid bringing home a B in science

Your point is nothing, backed up by few and far between "students" that have had issues learning when others do just fine. 1 student out of 100 does not warrant changing the entire system because they don't deem it necessary to put forth the effort to do the work that ALL OTHERT STUDENTS DO JUST FINE EVERY DAY. But no, lets change everything so little Timmy can feel ,better about himself and not feel bad for getting a grade that he deserved, a F.

BTW, double posting something doesn't make it any better. Just makes you look more foolish than you already do.

Again, leave no kid behind should be everyone's priority as a society. If you don't care about other kids wellbeing and success then that tells us all we need to know about you.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   

You keep glossing over the fact that almost all of those kids that require the use of no kid left behind don't care. They don't put in the effort so they don't bother to learn what they need to.

how are we supposed to help those that don't even care to help themselves?

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

You keep glossing over the fact that almost all of those kids that require the use of no kid left behind don't care. They don't put in the effort so they don't bother to learn what they need to.

how are we supposed to help those that don't even care to help themselves?

That's generalizing and I've posted success stories which you don't want to acknowledge.

www.imaginelearning.com...

www.imaginelearning.com...

Those success stories were not doing things the same old way.

edit on q00000034831America/Chicago1717America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:37 PM
link   

It's fact, you just don't want to acknowledge it because you are stuck in that big echo chamber of yours that "it's never the students fault, the system has failed them and it needs to be dismantled"

Again, a few success stories does not prove anything. Decades of people learning in school the "old way" and succeeding prove everything you don't want to acknowledge.

Learning requires effort and without effort you get those that don't learn anything then wonder why they are failing. See how that works?

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   

It's fact, you just don't want to acknowledge it because you are stuck in that big echo chamber of yours that "it's never the students fault, the system has failed them and it needs to be dismantled"

Again, a few success stories does not prove anything. Decades of people learning in school the "old way" and succeeding prove everything you don't want to acknowledge.

Learning requires effort and without effort you get those that don't learn anything then wonder why they are failing. See how that works?

No I am reading what new strategies schools are trying and success stories and why previously failing students are not failing any more.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:46 PM
link   

I'll give you a hint, they aren't failing anymore because they "strategies" are giving them grades they didn't earn to push them along and not "leave them behind"

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I'll give you a hint, they aren't failing anymore because they "strategies" are giving them grades they didn't earn to push them along and not "leave them behind"

Your opinion not rooted in fact.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:52 PM
link   

When you don't enforce rules on all students, say 1 that doesn't meet the deadline, so you let them turn it in late. That is a grade they did not earn as they did not meet the initial criteria of the assignment.

How is that opinion?

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

When you don't enforce rules on all students, say 1 that doesn't meet the deadline, so you let them turn it in late. That is a grade they did not earn as they did not meet the initial criteria of the assignment.

How is that opinion?

That should be the teacher's call because she knows her students and their abilities and progress better than anyone else. Student success is important to the teacher but obviously not to you.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It should first be important to the student, and if they can't meet deadlines that others can, then maybe it's not.

And it's not a "teachers call", that is how things work in the real world. Not tooty fruity land where you can do things willy nilly as you please and get gold stars for everything even if they are utter crap

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It should first be important to the student, and if they can't meet deadlines that others can, then maybe it's not.

And it's not a "teachers call", that is how things work in the real world. Not tooty fruity land where you can do things willy nilly as you please and get gold stars for everything even if they are utter crap

Well thank goodness you are not the one to make those types of calls when it comes to a student's success in school.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Why because I believe in accountability? What a terrible thing to believe in and try to instill in a society that is growing up without it

Shame on me, I am just the worst person in the world because Quint told me so

what ever will I do with myself now?

(heavy sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
Your opinion not rooted in fact.

No, that's dead on accurate.
They aren't failing anymore because failing grades aren't being given out.
Seriously - DUH. No Fs means no fails.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Just plain old head burred in the sand ignorance

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join