It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lithium-ion batteries of e-bikes and e-scooters are causing hundreds of fires

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: datguy

How does the Lithium battery tech even work; when as a medicine... It is treatment for the bipolar? Oops insert different sort of battery joke here _____________.

Lithium

As a mood stabilizer I guess there wouldn't be any complaint from the out-gassing as a side effect of the out gassing about it unless contained instead of inhaled.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Crowfoot
a reply to: Itisnowagain

DCMA policy check the phones chip it probably isn't up to FCC standards. I had the same issue just using one two weeks after buying one after an Apple SE died from an wild arm movement wet napped it and then battery failure. Lived without one for three years then got a tablet then service issues then big eye roll later another year passes and so far so good.

It's not my issue.
Virgin sent a cable to every Virgin customer in the UK.......

All landlines will be gone soon.

Landlines will be switched off in 2025 and replaced with a digital network. This means Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN), which uses copper cables to bring the connection to you home and business, will no longer be available.

edit on 9-8-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Yeh let's get serious.

Petrol-powered vehicles have been known to catch on fire just like any other.

Just because its not happened to you, or your friends, and you have only witnessed it twice, means squat im afraid.

Plenty have been recalled for the very same problem for a start.

Internal combustion engines can overhead you see with fire being the result nevermind the other multitude of reasons vehicles have been known to catch fire.

The batteries used in electric vehicles can be dangerous, im not disputing that fact, but the technology is not going away anytime soon, and Lithium-ion batteries do indeed serve a purpose and function.

And that's simply the colour of the day, like it or lump it, and will remain so until a better technology supplants Lithium-ion batteries.
edit on 9-8-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 05:03 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Im not privy to the statistics Itisnowagain.

But could that be down to the disproportionate amount of petrol-powered vehicles on the road compared to electric?

End of the day both types of vehicles are susceptible to catching fire on occasion but i don't really see it stopping their use anytime soon.

If anything electric-powered vehicles are only going to become more prevalent as their numbers increase and the technology progresses.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

When you are live in a 15 minute city you won't have a car.

Can you afford to by an ev when they stop all petrol and diesel?

As well as a heat pump to heat your home.....

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 05:33 AM
link   

15-minute cities, by their very nature, discourage driving, and are indeed likely to prevent or restrict driving in some areas, hence all the controversy.

Take "Glasgow's Liveable Neighbourhoods plan" for instance, which is seeking to ensure all residents across Glasgow can access key services in their local area within 20 minutes by walking or public transport.

Personally, i think it's rather an unimplementable pipedream just down to the geography and lay of the land, and i think the same will be rather true in any other major city in the UK for the same to similar reasoning.

I mean its a good idea on paper but in the real world im inclined to believe the opposite to be the case.

Edit:

Can you afford to by an ev when they stop all petrol and diesel?

As well as a heat pump to heat your home

Im lucky if i can afford the leckie and gas bills just now, never mind in the future.

As to being able to afford to "buy" an electric vehicle, it's not a prospect that i relish put it that way.

For a start i live at the top of a hill from the road, so how i would charge the thing from home would be a point of contention too begin with, same boat a lot of people are in i should imagine.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 06:09 AM
link   

You would charge it at a charging station.......not many people have a charging point at home.

I pray my neighbours don't get them along the street..... I am afraid that if they went off it would cause very toxic fumes that can't be stopped.

Most of us have drives right in front of the house now.
A while back one of my neighbours had 2 cars parked outside her house on the roadside written off in 6 days......2 different drivers drove straight into them. The first time her car was pushed right up the hill on to the pavement and it hit a gas pipe....we were all told to evacuate.
My neighbour no longer parks her car there.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 07:16 AM
link   

The logistics are the problem really.

It's apt to be a nightmare.

And if everyone is going to start charging vehicles from home or thereabouts, they are going to have to renovate and replace a significant proportion of the antiquated power grids, because i don't imagine it's up to the task right now, never mind in the future should everybody go electric.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Looks like its a doubles day, my bad.

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   

In that interim of no phone in regard to landlines hope they like walking in my stint without one over 100 unexpected miles about 160km at various times of night and day. What I get for being a non Vespa riding MOD that sorta looks like a rocker I guess. Hey if others can profile me and get me locked up for doing nothing based on appearance? Why can't I?

opps forgot to mention not a payphone booth in sight anywhere along that way.

edit on 9-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: clarity

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

If the electric goes out.........what will work in the future?

posted on Aug, 9 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Statically charging a tree and waiting for lighting then keep stacking wood around it like a teepee as a tree once hit carries in it a small spark and evidence of the strike a streak of black on it that will eventually spontaneously combust... teepeeing it speeds that small spark or fire in it up.

National parks seem to always suspect arson or campers so either it's suppressed what I said or they just dont know it... I suspect they do since lighting has been blamed a few times but finding what tree fell that didnt make a sound as it still standing is likely very difficult unless directly observed.

How does that help? Smoke rings...
edit on 9-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: addition

XL5

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Just an update. Some 18650 li-ion ebike/scooter batteries from China have chips inside the BMS that let each cell charge to 4.3 volts! Most 18650 cells list a 4.2 volt max voltage per cell on the spec sheet, so couple chargers that output the max 4.2v and a BMS that will only balance the cells at 4.3v and you get cells that are unbalanced and overheat. The chips in a BMS I repaired were datasheet.lcsc.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

I can't find anything online when I ask the question:

'what to do if phone explode while charging?'

And this is a big issue.

No answers for this either:

'how to put out a phone charger on fire while charging'

Something that everyone should be advised of is that a lot of fires in the home shouldn't be attempted to be stopped by pouring water over it. The best and safest thing to do would be to go to your kitchen, grab your flour container and use the flour to put out the fire. It works on the same principle as a fire extinguisher but is cheaper and more readily available. Every household has flour in it. Right?

I really hope this helps a lot of people. Of course, I do have a fire extinguisher about six feet from my dining room table, as well.

Are you nuts never throw flour on a fire you can get a dust explosion.
Dust explosions in grain storage towers have blown up a number of them.
www.youtube.com...

I am a retired firefighter and know about dust explosions.

posted on Aug, 21 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Actually my phone charger is in the bathroom. Just works well and about the only outlet left.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 05:47 AM
link   
An ev car being taken off the Freemantle Highway a month after the fire started......starts burning.

edit on 2-9-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join