It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia versus Ukrainian man power + NATO weapons = stalemate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: shalao
a reply to: JAY1980

The US has a lot of equipment on paper but only a very small fraction of that is operational. The rest are in boneyard. Out of 2000 Abrams probably not even 100 are operational. The US was only able to send 31 ex marines M1A1 from the 80s to Ukraine and even that was extremely challenging.

You forgot to include the link for your information.

www.shaloasbunghole.com

The American and NATO MIC is loving this, production on all military equipment, arms, munitions, and systems has been ramped up. All these countries are dumping their old stuff and it will be replaced by shiny new stuff.

Not to mention In many ways it is propping up the Western economies, it's definitely doing so in the defense industries communities in America.

The Aerospace and defense indices absolutely mirror the S&P 500 since late 2021 a 10-year look shows that isn't always the case.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I think this is half the reason (besides the west keeping their influence in Ukraine) that there was so much push for supporting Ukraine. Even my old work had donation options for customers and employees to donate to Ukraine.

Granted, Russia's invasion was wrong, but people didn't bat an eye before when countless other lives were lost in ME countries that the U.S. played a role in.

Saudi Arabia committed human rights violations in Yemen and even openy killed a journalist. Yet, we still sold them millions in weapons. And we did this all after Trump hypocritically spoke against the MIC.

Not sure how soon we'll get a peaceful end to Ukraine when Putin is deadset on taking Ukraine at any human cost, and the west has $$ signs in their eyes.

edit on 20-7-2023 by Turquosie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie
a reply to: putnam6

I think this is half the reason (besides the west keeping their influence in Ukraine) that there was so much push for supporting Ukraine. Even my old work had donation options for customers and employees to donate to Ukraine.

Granted, Russia's invasion was wrong, but people didn't bat an eye before when countless other lives were lost in ME countries that the U.S. played a role in.

Saudi Arabia committed human rights violations in Yemen and even openy killed a journalist. Yet, we still sold them millions in weapons. And we did this all after Trump hypocritically spoke against the MIC.

Not sure how soon we'll get a peaceful end to Ukraine when Putin is deadset on taking Ukraine at any human cost, and the west has $$ signs in their eyes.

Yea there definitely are other factors that excite our government to fund a war or to go to war outright. Read an assessment supposedly from people on the ground in Ukraine on the counter-offensive. They won't be able to militarily take back the eastern provinces any time soon, between the minefields and artillery on the front, drones and cruise missiles, it's just a meat grinder. thing America has spent 75 billion alone, and there is no way Russia will negotiate a way territory they occupy and Ukraine will not have the capabilities or the troops to do so within the next 12 months. More deaths more dollars no guarantees

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: vance
a reply to: shalao
Ukrainians don't want to lose their country and bow to Putin. They are willing to fight for it. I'm an American and I respect that.

"Some" Ukrainians is the key word here

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6
The American and NATO MIC is loving this, production on all military equipment, arms, munitions, and systems has been ramped up. All these countries are dumping their old stuff and it will be replaced by shiny new stuff.

A lot is end of life anyway, or on the verge of obsolescence. UK Challenger tanks are being replaced in a couple of years, as is Stormshadow, for instance. Plus, there is the "evaluation factor", where some kit is being battle tested to see if it does what it was sold to do. I think mostly the results have been good, eh, as the broken Russian war machine will attest.

Not to mention In many ways it is propping up the Western economies, it's definitely doing so in the defense industries communities in America.

No, the war in Ukraine has had a negative impact on world economies. The cost of transferring weapons and munitions to Ukraine is a tiny proportion of the GDP of donor countries.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

A lot is end of life anyway, or on the verge of obsolescence. UK Challenger tanks are being replaced in a couple of years, as is Stormshadow, for instance. Plus, there is the "evaluation factor", where some kit is being battle tested to see if it does what it was sold to do. I think mostly the results have been good, eh, as the broken Russian war machine will attest.

No, the war in Ukraine has had a negative impact on world economies. The cost of transferring weapons and munitions to Ukraine is a tiny proportion of the GDP of donor countries.

I think the key word here is propping up,

sure things were improving but not in a lot of sectors, definitely not in my particular business. What modest improvement there was relative to the end of the COVID economic chaos.

Admittedly a complete novice on the economic impact worldwide but plus 17% is plus 17%, as per the normal ATS protocol here's another tact then. My post was in regard to Wall Street and the aerospace and defense sector, as other areas falter this sector has not, generally was everywhere is bad for the economy, but when you isolate it in one country, certain sectors take off and are one of the few sectors doing well, thus propping up the economy.

Not to mention you mentioned global impact, I stated generally Western economies, and specifically the communities reliant on defense sector business.

www.forbes.com... /?sh=60579cdf43f0

War Stocks Are Surging As Russia-Ukraine Conflict Rages On: Lockheed Martin, Northrop Up 20%
Sergei Klebnikov
Forbes Staff

Updated Mar 7, 2022, 03:24am EST
TOPLINE Shares of major U.S. aerospace and defense companies, which have jumped since Russia launched its invasion of Ukraine last week, should continue to surge higher as global defense spending budgets increase in response to the conflict in eastern Europe, analysts predict.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I think the key word here is propping up,

Well, in an unstable world, and with countries like Russia strutting their funky stuff across other nations, we will require an innovative and responsive defence industry. If that's "propping up" then so be it.

Anyway, must dash. Got to go and prop up my local supermarket, because me and the family need to eat.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MisguidedAngel

An awful lot of them actually.

As you are so against targeting civilian infrastructure, Id be interested in your views on Russia's massive attacks on port infrastructure and grain storage?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join