It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAG Joins WGA on Strike

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Ah, then you must fall under this umbrella as it was the dichotomy you were addressing.

There's a shortage of producers willing to spend dollars on something that the robot public isn't accustomed to or whose attention span might snap.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

And?

So what?

This strike has nothing to do a lack of good writers and quality content. It has to do a changing industry, AI and streaming vs re-run residuals.
edit on 13-7-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare
For the first time in over 40 years the Screen Actors Guild has gone on strike. For the first time in over 60 years they have gone on strike at the same time as the Writers Guild of America. Hollywood is effectively shut down.

While I'm sure many on here will roll their eyes at Hollywood elites going on strike demanding more money, these strikes could have a very profound effect not just on the future of entertainment, but the future of labor in general.

While negotiations originally focused on the residuals actors and writers received from streaming services, in recent months the focus has shifted to the role AI will play in the future.

As an example of what the studios want, they have proposed that a background actor could come in to have their likeness scanned, they would be paid for a day's work, and then their likeness could be used by the studio for all time with no royalties would be paid. And Bob Iger has the gall to say the demands of the unions are disturbing.

He wants to destroy the livelihoods of thousands while acquiescing to the unions' demands would just require him to hold off on buying another yacht.

This is the first battle in a war that will ultimately decide whether AI will help the middle class or crush the middle class. So don't ignore these strikes. They could ultimately have a major effect on your future.

And NOTHING OF VALUE WAS LOST. I can learn AI maintenence. The Unions demand too much money because its not just writers that get paid when making movies/shows. the crews,the support staff as well. dont see them getting mad so far.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I don't recall making that claim.

Infact, I agreed with that point you brought up.

WTF are you on about?

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I don't recall making that claim.

RIght here, you're blaming the formula of the content. TV writers are hired to write about what they are told to. The networks decide if the content, including skin color, what's between your legs and who you sleep is the formula. This strike has nothing to do with content, a lack of talented writers or actors.

The market created is in decline. Turns out the color of your skin, whats between your legs or who you sleep with is not of major concern while the writing, that marketable skill, is.

WTF are you on about?

Just reiterating my argument against your condescending and passive aggressive post, that seems to bite at race and sexuality.

Ah, then you must fall under this umbrella as it was the dichotomy you were addressing.

Why? This isn't about me. I'm not a writer or an SAG member. It's about my disagreement with your claim, as cited above.

Succession. Huge success. Followed the same formula as Billions. And yeah, people tuned in to see which diverse characters were F#ing who!

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 11:03 PM
link   

RIght here, you're blaming the formula of the content. TV writers are hired to write about what they are told to. The networks decide if the content, including skin color, what's between your legs and who you sleep is the formula. This strike has nothing to do with content, a lack of talented writers or actors.

Is your position that the decline in content, which impacts the market has nothing to do with the strike?

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 11:50 PM
link   

What decline in content?

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 03:15 AM
link   
They made a cinema visit so expensive that you better watch that stuff at home. Then they effed up the sound so you are forced to watch the movies in cinemas or otherwise you have to deal with almost inaudible conversations while the rest of the movie is way too loud and you have to make the sound louder when somebody talks and to make it softer when something else happens.

The end of the story, the last good Hollywood movie i watched was Three Billboards Outside Ebbing. Now i watch only series and older (and in addition to that better than the new, political "correct") movies where the sound still is ok to watch them at home.

Tbh, they could close down Hollywood today and i wouldn´t even notice because i am not interested in political re-education movies and in the next superhero crap or the thousandth continuation of some junk like Fast and Furious, Mission Impossible or whatever BS. Seems that there are other players on the market who pay their writers and actors (for series and movies) decently.

Who needs Re-Educationwood, Wokewood anymore?

edit on 14 7 2023 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The IATSE very nearly went on strike in 2021 due to many of the same things that WGA and SAG are striking for. 99% of the union voted in favor of a strike but union leadership were able to strike a deal before the strike went into effect. However, over 50% of union members were against the deal because it didn't go far enough in meeting their demands.

That deal expires next year and the IATSE have expressed their support for the SAG and WGA strikes.

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

"Race and sexuality"? Because you're an old white cis woman? Seriously?

Are you the victim, now?

edit on 14-7-2023 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

So make something, and I'll even review it for you. However it's still up to you to sell it.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm a film/TV show producer, or a professional writer.

I've sold two fictional short stories and one non-fiction article. In some circles I'm considered a "professional writer" even though the short stories won't be published (the rights to the idea and setting was what was bought) and the non-fiction comes out in 2024.

posted on Jul, 14 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I've sold two fictional short stories and one non-fiction article.

Congrats!

In some circles I'm considered a "professional writer" even though the short stories won't be published (the rights to the idea and setting was what was bought) and the non-fiction comes out in 2024.

I take it you're not a member of the Screen Writers Guild?
Please let us know when your non-fiction comes out in 2024! Will it be in book form?

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 02:05 AM
link   

a reply to: yuppa

The IATSE very nearly went on strike in 2021 due to many of the same things that WGA and SAG are striking for. 99% of the union voted in favor of a strike but union leadership were able to strike a deal before the strike went into effect. However, over 50% of union members were against the deal because it didn't go far enough in meeting their demands.

That deal expires next year and the IATSE have expressed their support for the SAG and WGA strikes.

I See future jobs for non union mexican workers then.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Interesting that right outside the doors of Universal Studios in Hollywood, and in the area of multimillion dollar mansions, there are two miles of homeless in their campers, parked in the curb. Strewing trash everywhere, and using the roadside as their toilet.
Just wondering how long it will be before these billion dollar moneymaking studios move out of California entirely, and where they would relocate.

nypost.com...

"Video shows homeless camp takeover of two-mile stretch of Hollywood steps from Universal Studios"

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Threadbare

While I'm sure many on here will roll their eyes at Hollywood elites going on strike demanding more money, these strikes could have a very profound effect not just on the future of entertainment, but the future of labor in general.

I'm fully supportive of the strike , given the amount of dross they've been churning out over the last few years long may it continue , the future of entertainment is bleak if it doesn't cater to its audience which is something it hasn't been doing for quite a while.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Movies in the 70s -90s were much better. Not everything needs to be CGI Hollywood.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It's funny how the people that are siding with the studios are citing things that come down to studio decisions.

Writers haven't stopped writing good scripts. Studios have stopped buying scripts that don't fit into their formula.

Actors haven't stopped acting well. Studios have stopped making movies that let them express their full range.

Do you really think movies are getting too get better when all of the writing and acting is being done by a computer?

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

The average member of SAG makes $40,000 a year. The average member of WGA makes about $50,000 a year. Sounds pretty middle class to me.

could you source that please. Knowing some of these folks live in LA and surrounding areas, 50K a year is less than the homeless make.

posted on Jul, 15 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You are aware that the vast majority of actors and screenwriters work multiple jobs, right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join