It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAG Joins WGA on Strike

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   
For the first time in over 40 years the Screen Actors Guild has gone on strike. For the first time in over 60 years they have gone on strike at the same time as the Writers Guild of America. Hollywood is effectively shut down.

While I'm sure many on here will roll their eyes at Hollywood elites going on strike demanding more money, these strikes could have a very profound effect not just on the future of entertainment, but the future of labor in general.

While negotiations originally focused on the residuals actors and writers received from streaming services, in recent months the focus has shifted to the role AI will play in the future.

As an example of what the studios want, they have proposed that a background actor could come in to have their likeness scanned, they would be paid for a day's work, and then their likeness could be used by the studio for all time with no royalties would be paid. And Bob Iger has the gall to say the demands of the unions are disturbing.

He wants to destroy the livelihoods of thousands while acquiescing to the unions' demands would just require him to hold off on buying another yacht.

This is the first battle in a war that will ultimately decide whether AI will help the middle class or crush the middle class. So don't ignore these strikes. They could ultimately have a major effect on your future.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Threadbare

If a writers union goes on strike and no one cares, does it make a sound?

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:01 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:05 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Seems like a perfect time for up and coming writers to forge their path.

It works the same way in the trades, this is not new.

Unions have become political popularity parties amongst themselves.

Good riddance.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Those writers would be blacklisted as soon as the strike ends. Not to mention that any studio that uses scab writers would no longer be able to employ union writers.

Honestly, if I'm one of the studios, I would break rank with the others and negotiate my own deal with the unions. You may lose money in the short term but you'd easily make it back when you're the only one coming out with anything new a year from now.
edit on 13-7-2023 by Threadbare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Honestly, if I'm one of the studios, I would break rank with the others and negotiate my own deal with the unions. You may lose money in the short term but you'd easily make it back when you're the only one coming out with anything new a year from now.

Then please explain how great the big movie and series industries are doing.....

Hint: It's not going great due to content decline.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Lol
Hollywood is in no way “ middle class”.
Poor stars…..

Lol

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

The average member of SAG makes $40,000 a year. The average member of WGA makes about $50,000 a year. Sounds pretty middle class to me.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There is a black mirror episode on this. Newest season. AI film is probably happening already

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 08:03 PM
link   
From what I have seen, no one has written or acted in very many good works in a long time. Better independent entertainment on YouTube.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbare

The average member of SAG makes $40,000 a year. The average member of WGA makes about $50,000 a year. Sounds pretty middle class to me.

Which means they are too poor to be Hollywood.
Are you even following?
Oh
New dude again……
Never mind

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 08:26 PM
link   

suffering the lame stream news tonight and saw a report on this. i couldn't believe what matt damon was whining about.
basically saying that when your house insurance for a year is $26,000 a year, what they pay us now is not enough.

here's a novel idea, don't live beyond your means with those millions you get from your f--kin movies when released and don't don't buy houses require $26,000 a year worth of insurance you whiny prick.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Except that's not what Matt Damon is saying.

As a producer, Damon stands to make more with the strikes ending sooner rather than later. In fact, he's said his company has had to shut down production on a movie they were working on because of the strikes.

But, as someone that was a writer and an actor first, he's siding with the unions.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Watch the credits of any modern movie. There's maybe a minute of people that are "Hollywood" and then another 10 minutes of other people.

That 10 minutes is Hollywood. The movie industry doesn't exist without those people.

For your average big name actor, the deal SAG is tying to get will net them maybe an extra million a year. For your average SAG member, it's the ability to start saving money instead of living paycheck-to-paycheck. It's healthcare. It's job security.

Meanwhile, the deal the studios are offering means the average SAG member doesn't get that security while the studio execs continue to make more in an hour than the average SAG member makes in an a year and their bonuses aren't touched.

This is very much a battle between the middle class and the upper class. And if you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:19 PM
link   

This is very much a battle between the middle class and the upper class. And if you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

No, it's not.

See, writing, while certainly requiring a certain amount of talent, is a niche industry. I use that term because of the massively objective nature of writing as it applies to scripts.

The market created is in decline. Turns out the color of your skin, whats between your legs or who you sleep with is not of major concern while the writing, that marketable skill, is.

Unions made their choices of one set of criteria over the other, then tried to sell it it the public....they aint buyin.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   

What a load of #!

The "networks" want formula, formula, formula. There is no shortage of good content or talented writers. There's a shortage of producers willing to spend dollars on something that the robot public isn't accustomed to or whose attention span might snap.

edit on 13-7-2023 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

There is no shortage of good content or talented writers.

I agree. Yet if they happen to be comprised of any "wrong think" they are likely not to get the job.

There's a shortage of producers willing to spend dollars on something that the robot public isn't accustomed to or whose attention span might snap.

So make something, and I'll even review it for you. However it's still up to you to sell it.

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   

And just in time for ComicCon panels... Now it's just going to be sweaty nerds and no main events in Hall H.

Maybe they don't deserve more money to write more contrived formulaic pandering crap. Or more royalties because they are greedy.

In the end, they will succeed in doubling the price of streaming services. PlutoTV (Which is great for free) all of a sudden has to charge $4.99 or something.

Freaking most worthless union(s) in California, and that says A LOT.
edit on 13-7-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2023 @ 10:26 PM
link   

So make something, and I'll even review it for you. However it's still up to you to sell it.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm a film/TV show producer, or a professional writer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join