It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VPN for dummies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I've heard good and bad things about VPNs.

www.comparitech.com...

VPNs are fast becoming essential tools for online security and privacy. They can secure internet connections, bypass censorship, and allow users to access region-locked content. But what are the drawbacks?

www.tomsguide.com...

Along with offering a range of security and privacy benefits, VPN services also allow users to unblock geo-restricted online content, stop bandwidth and data throttling, find the cheapest deals on the internet, and so much more.

While VPNs offer lots of different benefits, you’re probably wondering how they operate. These services rely on a range of crucial technologies, such as encryption and protocols, and unless you’re a technical expert you might not know what these things mean. Here, we’ll be exploring exactly how VPNs work, and we’ll also suggest a few of our favorites.

For one thing, free VPNs? How good can they be? The old adage you get what you pay for has to affect the effectiveness of the product?
I mean, I pay for a anti-virus, anti-malware but mostly because I like the auto scanning and update features.

Does it slow down internet speed? Can you notice?
I hardly ever use the private browsing window my browser provides, so do I really want a VPN? Especially considering I probably don't really want the free version....although I can change my mind with the right info.

I ask all of you since you've always been so helpful...and I trust you rather than an internet article.
Seriously.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
Free VPNs usually have a paid subscription offer. The free VPNs usually set either a data cap or pass through a public server with limited bandwith .Are they slower ? I have found they are (there are a couple of exceptions) .

VPNs encapsulate the packets in a shell with a "bogus" originating IP address until they reach the target server , then that shell is stripped . A VPN packet can be "captured" and the shell stripped by anyone with the knowledge (and lots of time) to do so . This reveals the true origination in the first bytes of the packet . Are VPNs safer than just open transmission ? Absolutely . Are they foolproof ? No , as nothing about PCs is hack proof .(some ports have to be left open for internet connectivity .)

You can use VPN for added security , but the major item is looking at ports that can be stealthed and closing them in a firewall .Most modern firewalls already do this .

It's not about being hackproof , it is about making it so difficult that the average hacker gives up . Make em feel like you are not worth the extra time and trouble .That is key .

The only completely safe pc would be one that the drives were removed and put on a rocket to the sun , everything else removed and destroyed .Then take the shell and lock it up in a Swedish vault .

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   

This guy, Liron Segev, says we don't need a VPN. Here's his video:

You Tube
He seems to be very knowledgeable about computers and the internet.
Plus, he has a You Tube channel chock full of computer info. I use his site a lot.
edit on 7/3/2023 by NightFlight because: Left out some important

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 09:10 PM
link   

VPN's are as trustworthy as the company offering the service.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Almost always use a vpn. PIA for years.

Problems:
Banking. A lot of problems with banking apps/sites.
Streaming: many streaming sites don’t work. PIA has streaming ips you can choose but still many won’t work.
Capcha: a lot of websites throttle, stop you entirely, or throw up captcha at you to prove you are human. Truth Social won’t work at all if VPN turned on for example.
Speed limited. If you run speed test with and without vpn on you will see some of the vpn ips throttle you. I have 300 meg service in the Philippines, most of the us ips limit you to under 50. If you have 100 meg service in US you won’t notice the throttle at all.

ATS requires you whitelist them. I forget what happens when you don’t.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Thanks, guys!
Various information from different angles, just what I wanted.

Now to send this link to my partner, as he's the one who requested this info

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 03:54 AM
link   

I started using Protonmail as my email service because my computer crashed and I lost my phone so had no way to recover my Gmail account.

A year in, I see that the email comes with a free VPN account for one connection (more connections = money). But fee??

I have been setup since February and don’t even notice any slowdown. In fact, some pop ups are blocked!! I randomly chose a server from the list (USA) and am happy!

No fear of free wofi anymore. And I like less ads just in general. The email is pretty good for free too!

I had to toggle it on/off after one update to see the wifi network but that is the only issue!

And one more cool thing, free online storage to your limit before having to upgrade!

Free is good! Security is good!

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I use VPN to read stuff i am not able to read without VPN because of stupid EU regulations. And it works. It´s a paid VPN. No problems with ATS, even without whitelisting.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 10:22 AM
link   

VPNs are mostly a scam.

You're just trading who is storing your data.

Want to torrent or watch region locked content? Get a SOCKS5 proxy.

Want to stream movies? Get Debrid.

Bypass censorship? You need TOR.

Want to manage/access your network remotely? Use a VPN hosted on your own network.

The ONLY time you EVER need to use a VPN on a personal device is on a PUBLIC wifi network (McDonald's Wifi), and that's to encrypt the data. Which is becoming the standard with https anyway. Cell phone networks are so locked down, the only people capable of hacking them are major hacking groups and governments.

A VPN isn't going to stop a mitm attack, btw.
edit on 4-7-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Hi DTOM, sorry I'm late to the party. In this case I am as curious as you and have been looking into VPNs. Gothmog & Co. have given both of us some good info.

All I can offer is a website that compares the best VPNs, explained simply and with explanations as to why some are better than others.

cybernews.com...

The main points are:

NordVPN and Surfshark are the best.

Beware the country of operation (five eyes!)

Free VPNs are to be avoided.

My personal addition:

Nothing is 100% safe.

Avoid Opera browser that boasts an integrated VPN... it's not safe.

edit on 4/7/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

If it's not free I ain't buying it

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Thanks for the info.
I mostly want to know how secure and safe they really were.

So, avoid Opera browser....well, I dislike Opera a great deal and mostly use Brave...it comes with a free VPN as well...is it any better, Encia???

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rounda

I never have heard of an mitm attack until just now

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Yes, Brave is a good browser for blocking ads and trackers. As for the VPN, I'm not sure; apparently there is a premium option (including a firewall) at a cost higher than both NordVPN and Surfshark. I don't know what difference there is between the free and paid version; probably speed and the ability to change geographic locations. My problem with their VPN is I can't find information about where their servers are, if they log traffic and if they use RAM disks that don't store information upon rebooting.

I think the top two, in the article I linked to, are very secure, reliable and fast.

ETA some more info.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: rounda

I never have heard of an mitm attack until just now

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh Boy have you missed some hi-jinks on YouTube!!!
There's a bunch of fun channels with guys shutting down fraudlent call centers who routinely use MITM scripts with fake Geek Squad forms, fake Amazon forms. If the call center's host country will play ball these guys collect tons of evidence an the authorities swoop in. This is one of my fav's. Altho Jim Brown's channel is also a great one. Besides NordVPN they also recommend Guardio but it's only for Chrome.
www.youtube.com...@Scambaiter/videos

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 06:34 PM
link   

They’re a useful layer of protection, especially in countries where things like weed are illegal or videos have been censored. I use the built in VPN on opera browser if bitchute videos are blocked in my country (which is any video with the word Jew in the title). However, you’re correct all traffic will be routed through their servers and this will cause your web pages to load slower. Also, I’d assume whatever VPN you use will have server logs showing your IP and browser activity so you’re only as secure as the server you route data through. I’ve used IPVanish in the past, I find it useful as there’s plenty of servers to connect to worldwide and also it has a kill switch for any loss of connection.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Or used a stripped down version of Linux, something like tails. Connect through a public network, use firewall and VPN and essentially you’re anonymous once you’ve disconnected and shutdown the OS.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: Encia22

Thanks for the info.
I mostly want to know how secure and safe they really were.

So, avoid Opera browser....well, I dislike Opera a great deal and mostly use Brave...it comes with a free VPN as well...is it any better, Encia???

Why do you dislike Opera? That is what I use, although I have almost all browsers on my computers because some work better than others for different things. But curious why you don't like Opera.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

I just don't trust it from a security point of view. We don't know if it retains logs, we don't know where the servers are, etc. There is Chinese connection, hence the previous questions. By the way, its VPN doesn't have a "kill switch"; one of the first features to look for in a VPN.

For every source I could link saying it is not safe, you could find others stating the opposite.

Bottom line... I work in gov. and Opera is not allowed on any work machines. That normally means that the security of the software could not be verified (deemed unsafe) or hasn't yet been tested. Opera has been around for so long, and I've been in gov. longer still, I assume the reason is the former.

If you would like an analogy, research why Tik Tok has been banned in many gov./state environments.

posted on Jul, 6 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

Mostly because to was about the 6th browser I tried.
I can use it, I just am not a fan.

Was the first browser my husband tried, and he loves Opera....the browser---not the music LOL.

And Encia's post gives me pause.....eeek!!!
edit on Thu Jul 6 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join