It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Revolt one Watermelon at a time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:01 AM
link   
You know what has been hard to find? SEEDED watermelons. Sure they have those nasty seedless one everywhere.
They are mealy, tasteless and just ain’t right. Can’t stand them!

I’m a super smeller/taster and I know what I’m talking about.

There is also something about watermelons an those little black seeds. Who cares if you have to spit them out. That’s half the fun.
The texture of seeded watermelons is so superior. The taste, outstanding, it tastes like.. um real watermelon!

Our store had many giant bins of the seedless and NOBODY was buying them, they were only buying the seeded ones. Thank you Baby Jesus. Let’s get back to real natural foods with seeds and not that freak of nature science experiment, tasteless, food!

One of my fondest memories of my grandma was her sitting down with half a watermelon, two spoons and we just dug in.
She spoke very little English, but we could communicate through food.

I hope this trend continues!

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:34 AM
link   
We just got a seeded watermelon here and I was severely disappointed, it's the texture is off and it doesn't have the flavor burst added some lime and ginger, and it's tolerable but it isn't the best.

They must not have been from Albany

www.walb.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Watermelon that uses fallen leaves as fertilizer still taste the best. Too much water will ruin the watermelon also.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I also prefer the seeded watermelons. So does the wife and both daughters and their kids. I did a little research on what is happening with the mutation in seedless watermelons and it appears that the chemicals that make up the seeds wind up in the watermelon when the seeds do not form. The seed is highly protected by chemistry to protect it from consumption just like all plant defense chemistries do. The chemicals have a sort of bitter taste most times, and stomach digestion does not hurt seeds because of the protective layer. Now how that effects nutrition in watermelon I do not know when those digestive blocking enzymes do not go into the seeds, but one thing for sure, any sugar in the watermelon is still absorbed.

Meanwhile, all I can say is that seeded watermelons taste way better...I do not know if those chemicals cause any harm to humans. Taste is important too.

If you tap on a watermelon the growth hormone in and close to the white rind is shocked and converts the chemicals in the watermelon to sugar which sweetens the red. The conversion is almost instant....energy added by shock converts the sugar.

If you smash a watermelon on the sidewalk it tasted sweeter, and actually that major shock does quickly convert sugars. We had a little watermelon fall out of the car and it bounced down our gravel driveway and hit the lower garages door. Boy did that get sweet, we gobbled it up....So, knocking on a watermelon in the store to get that hollow sound actually ripens and sweetens all the watermelons, converting the juice to sugar.

This happens with oranges too, rolling an orange on the counter before eating sweetens the orange somewhat...almost instantly. It only seems to happen with fruits that have a rind that I know of. That growth and repair hormone in a watermelon in the white is actually beneficial to our health and I have seen no evidence of negative side effects from consuming it anywhere. Most people seem to avoid this and go for the sweet red flesh, but that growth and repair hormone is not much in the sweet flesh, it is changed as it does it's conversion. I never did check the biproduct of the growth hormone once it was converted, I guess nobody actually researched that from what I found.

posted on Jun, 14 2023 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

actually beneficial to our health and I have seen no evidence of negative side effects from consuming it anywhere. Most people seem to avoid this and go for the sweet red flesh, but that growth and repair hormone is not much in the sweet flesh, it is changed as it does it's conversion.

A lot of Asian and African countries eat that white part, but not at a sweet dish but as a pickled dish.

top topics

join