It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrat making the case for Term Limits?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
if we just held them accountable for the same laws as us serfs - I'd imagine most would be serving long terms. pardon my random thought ....Wonder how many politicians have family with LLC's and how many government contracts flow through them... you know contractor's

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
Yes, I was being facetious.

No, TV programs aren't the answer.
They are the problem.
"Program" is exactly what they do to stupid people.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit
If our voting base had an average IQ over 100, we wouldn't be in this mess.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
What is really likely to happen as a result of what Katie Porter said is: She will be scolded and perhaps subtly punished for even thinking such a thing as term limits for the crowd of politicians who should be in assisted living rather than congress or the senate.

Term limits is popular with Democrats including Obama

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

What is really likely to happen as a result of what Katie Porter said is: She will be scolded and perhaps subtly punished for even thinking such a thing as term limits for the crowd of politicians who should be in assisted living rather than congress or the senate.

Controlled Opposition and Fake Support 😎

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

College Students can’t name ONE Country

We’re DOOMED: Young Americans know nothing!

Some Americans are ignorant and proud (4) | What is 3x3x3? (wow, lol, fun)

These people vote.... I can guess for what party, can you?
edit on 18-5-2023 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Ya know dude, I tossed a hissie-fit when I learned she was running again that last election she was in. What a disgrace to real liberal values, values that SHOULD have established term limits ages ago, and I mean AGES.

What ever battles anyone has won for their ''side'' of the political spectrum are made moot by overstaying their honor of service to the nation, yes Strom, I"m thinking of you......

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Ya know dude, I tossed a hissie-fit when I learned she was running again that last election she was in. What a disgrace to real liberal values, values that SHOULD have established term limits ages ago, and I mean AGES.

What ever battles anyone has won for their ''side'' of the political spectrum are made moot by overstaying their honor of service to the nation, yes Strom, I"m thinking of you......

You want change?
Don't wait on a politician. They lie, it's part of the job description.
Join Convention of States and make a difference (or actually try to).

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: Quadrivium

These people vote.... I can guess for what party, can you?

Honestly, it doesn't matter who these feeble minded people vote for, they are our future.
We are doomed and it is our fault.
edit on 18-5-2023 by Quadrivium because: Shortened quote

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Ah , Sen. Robert C. Byrd's Ghost just guffawed in the Afterlife..........

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalThunder
if we just held them accountable for the same laws as us serfs - I'd imagine most would be serving long terms. pardon my random thought ....Wonder how many politicians have family with LLC's and how many government contracts flow through them... you know contractor's

This lot won't/don't get it.
They are firmly rooted in their ball game.
SMDH, we really are doomed.
The bastards have won and never fired a shot.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Voter Competency. I believe voters should have to demonstrate basic knowledge of our political system. I'd propose requiring passing the basic immigration test that we give to those who want to become citizens.

That's an excellent idea! If nothing else comes of it, more people would understand basic concepts of our government. I myself took the test and I was sworn in as a US citizen in 1983. The test itself was extremely simple but I studied the manual that was given to me cover-to-cover (no Internet back then to look up answers).

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Why didn't they pass term limits when they had total and complete control of the House, Presidency, and the ability for the Senate to make it happen? They could have done it but didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

The old farts who run the Democratic Party won't let it happen, just as they have held back younger members to the point where only the impossibly old have any chance of running for President. Love their latest move to hold back anyone under 80, no debates. Saying Biden won't debate to even give someone in their 70's a chance.

edit on 5/19/23 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Thats ridiculous. There are plenty of mentally competent, healthy, energetic people at retirement age, and can expect another 20 years of same. There is a certain wisdom that comes with life experience. You will be there yourself soon, faster than you can imagine!

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I agree with term limits and age limits. Age limits are the most likely, based on the Social Security age would make sense. The government expects you to retire at that age; no reason they should keep working either. Also, once you're retired from it, no working in political adjacent roles either; you have to be done for good.

It's about as likely as the sun being purple tomorrow.

a reply to: CoyoteAngels
Hey, if you're a spry 65-year-old, awesome. Go find another career that's not involved in politics.
edit on 5/19/23 by Hypntick because: Additional Reply

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Why didn't they pass term limits when they had total and complete control of the House, Presidency, and the ability for the Senate to make it happen? They could have done it but didn't. Actions speak louder than words.

The old farts who run the Democratic Party won't let it happen, just as they have held back younger members to the point where only the impossibly old have any chance of running for President. Love their latest move to hold back anyone under 80, no debates. Saying Biden won't debate to even give someone in their 70's a chance.

The Republicans are the same way.
Neither side will touch hot button topics they use to run campaigns on.
They talk a good game and they promise a lot but at the end of the day, they are politicians.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
I agree with term limits and age limits. Age limits are the most likely, based on the Social Security age would make sense. The government expects you to retire at that age; no reason they should keep working either. Also, once you're retired from it, no working in political adjacent roles either; you have to be done for good.

I think you may need to further explain this reasoning... the government expects nothing from you... you retire when you want to... but it will only grant you financial supprt after a certain age criteria is met. Poor people who are starving at age 66 don't just die... many keep working. Even if they would rather not. Perhaps thinking in terms of 'decrepitude' isn't serving a proper perspective for your argument.

a reply to: CoyoteAngels
Hey, if you're a spry 65-year-old, awesome. Go find another career that's not involved in politics.

Isn't it fascinating how bias manifests itself?
You have almost defined it here in this post.

Consider that sight unseen, having zero specific data, you have truncated the politically productive association with larger society of anyone over 65... just because...

I'm not saying that you don't have a position that bears argument... only that the net result, extended to it's logical end point, this means that insofar as direct participation in political life is concerned - it ends at 65.

Why not eliminate voting after 65? They could be senile, or too old-fashioned, too out-of-touch?

Age is not immaterial in this discussion... but it is not the persons "age" that makes the issue, it's the person's "condition."

To be honest with you, I always had a little suspicion that maybe it's easier for a 'committee" of 'party' people to control a doddering oldster, than someone who still has little piss and vinegar in him (or her.) But then, the party is mother, the party is father... question not the party.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

where the hell did your account go? You just got reset or something.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 10:27 PM
link   

it's a pretty good retirement home.
they should call it shady valley.

posted on May, 20 2023 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: markovian
How will term limits help people will vote in a potato as long as it's painted the right color

Because they will have to choose the new potato. And there will be at least a few choices available. Even in the right color. As it is now the incumbent simply gets most of the vote because of name recognition. Hopefully the airheads simply won't vote if there is a bunch of candidates in just the primary. Even independents and 3rd party candidates would have a chance if incumbents were gone after a term or three. Plus it would cause those interests that like putting politicians on a retainer problems if that they have to make arrangements with a new politician every few years.

Plus, it gives the rest of the country a break if one district keeps voting in a "bad" politician. Eventually they hit the limit and they are gone. As it is now they can be voted in at age 30-35 and die of old age at 85-90 years old still in office. Barbara Boxer makes a good example. Chuck Grassley is another.

And the record holder is Strom Thurmond. 100 years old when he retired. And served 47 years. Died in 2003.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join