It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about cooking and freezing carrots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I got a fairly good buy on carrots the other day. So my question is ... how should I go about boiling them and then freezing them. How long should I keep them in the freezer also till its no good to eat them?

Thanks ATS members.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Freeze only the unblemished crispy carrots.

Peel them, blanch them, put them on a tray in the freezer, then put them into vac lock or large freezer bags , forcing out as much air as possible. They will not be as crispy when thawed, but are still good in soups, stews and stir fry

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   

One of my favorite recipes with carrots, is to steam long splendor carrots whole, and sometimes with part of the top. Put them on a serving tray, stacked like logs, then pour a mixture of maple syrup, and butter over the top, and sprinkle generously with chopped pistachios.

Tonight, I had them with honey, butter, and pumpkin seeds on top.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Freeze only the unblemished crispy carrots.

Peel them, blanch them, put them on a tray in the freezer, then put them into vac lock or large freezer bags , forcing out as much air as possible. They will not be as crispy when thawed, but are still good in soups, stews and stir fry

I knew I could count on you.
Should the freezer bag be already cold before I freeze them?

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

One of my favorite recipes with carrots, is to steam long splendor carrots whole, and sometimes with part of the top. Put them on a serving tray, stacked like logs, then pour a mixture of maple syrup, and butter over the top, and sprinkle generously with chopped pistachios.

Tonight, I had them with honey, butter, and pumpkin seeds on top.

Sounds really good. Maybe tomorrow we will try those, we presently have about five pounds of organic carrots in the fridge. I want to eat some, the deer have eaten the last ten pounds of them. The pregnant does come to the back door with last years fawns. It is hard to say doe to a pregnant woman and kids.

The one doe had the little baby hoofing and poking it's nose on her side. We could see the lumps form and slide across her belly. She has not been back since the other day, I think the fawn is getting it's way and got out yesterday. That doe is big enough for twins. That doe usually comes by itself. Two other pregnant does come together, and the other doe comes with it's two little button bucks. Another doe comes occasionally with her little little doe fawn and those two come by themselves. All the does hanging around are pregnant this year which is a good sign for them, but bad for the garden.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Do I freeze the carrots when they are still warm/hot ?

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Do not put hot things in the freezer!!

You let them cool on the counter (on a cookie sheet). Then, in the fridge for a few hours.

Also, do not cook them until done! Just enough so the outer part is slightly cooked. That way you dump a portion from the freezer to a fry pan and not overcook them!

I was reading about making vinegar. I had the idea of pickling shaved carrots.

But have yet to experiment with either!!

Check out your library for canning/freezing/pickling recipes and ideas! You don’t need a pressure cooker to do a “quick” pickle. And they talk about freezing and other tips!

Good luck!

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Do not put hot things in the freezer!!

You let them cool on the counter (on a cookie sheet). Then, in the fridge for a few hours.

Also, do not cook them until done! Just enough so the outer part is slightly cooked. That way you dump a portion from the freezer to a fry pan and not overcook them!

I was reading about making vinegar. I had the idea of pickling shaved carrots.

But have yet to experiment with either!!

Check out your library for canning/freezing/pickling recipes and ideas! You don’t need a pressure cooker to do a “quick” pickle. And they talk about freezing and other tips!

Good luck!

Thanks
Glad I asked these questions.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Do I freeze the carrots when they are still warm/hot ?

Immerse then into a bowl of water with ice cubes in it to quickly stop the cooking and chill them down fast. Then dry them, put them on a tray to freeze. then put them into bags after they are frozen solid. This will help them keep their shape. I vac lock my vegetables after they are already frozen.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Not to derail, but I could use some tips on how to grow carrots

I would love to have some to store.

top topics

join