It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA lifts restrictions on homosexuals giving blood

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: vonclod

a reply to: greendust
"significant chance"

JFC..pull your head out of your ass..no pun intended.

This is why I wandered away from this place..lol

You'd rather have an echo chamber of what you believe? You know there are many things other than politics here so that's not why you wandered away.

It kind of is though, sometimes you need a break, been a solid 10 yrs without..in reality, more often than not I'm closer to the rightish side of things as of late. But I think the OP is ridiculous.

Got to go, will check in later

I can see the point of the OP. There's no logical reason to suddenly allow something that hasn't been allowed. Every time I've given blood, it asks if I'd had anal sex with a male which disqualifies you. Obviously gay men have had anal sex with a male. Same with tattoos, sicknesses, etc. It's simply due to safety regulations, not because the blood comes from a gay man's veins. He can still be gay, but if he hasn't had anal sex, he can donate blood. Before this of course.

What if a bisexual guy didn't want to admit his having back door sex to anyone and lied, they would still take his blood, right?
edit on q00000005531America/Chicago0101America/Chicago5 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   

"significant chance"

You'd rather have an echo chamber of what you believe? You know there are many things other than politics here so that's not why you wandered away.

It kind of is though, sometimes you need a break, been a solid 10 yrs without..in reality, more often than not I'm closer to the rightish side of things as of late. But I think the OP is ridiculous.

I can see the point of the OP. There's no logical reason to suddenly allow something that hasn't been allowed. Every time I've given blood, it asks if I'd had anal sex with a male which disqualifies you. Obviously gay men have had anal sex with a male. Same with tattoos, sicknesses, etc. It's simply due to safety regulations, not because the blood comes from a gay man's veins. He can still be gay, but if he hasn't had anal sex, he can donate blood. Before this of course.

Well, there was a huge blood donor scandal, where bad blood was distributed, unscreened, this was quite a long time ago, that set the bar..understandably so, no argument that at the time, it was a prudent thing to do. I think things have vastly improved as far as testing/screening. My uncle was a dr, he did a lot of work with AIDS patients, things have come a long since the 80s.

JM2C

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
a reply to: Timber13
Obviously they scored some easy brownie points with one of their voting blocs at the same time. That's just how the game is played.

Exactly
To please a freak voting block that likes to play victim.

And blood supply safety be damned.

posted on May, 15 2023 @ 07:23 PM
link   

This is one of the most ignorant OPs on the board to date.

No one is gonna give you the AIDS blood. Not every gay guy has AIDS. I’m fairly confident (and others in the thread have said) they test blood before it is used in case it has some disease/isn’t compatible or whatever.

Jesus.

I’ve read a lot of ignorant bull# on this website and this one takes the cake. I feel like I just stepped back into the 1980’s.

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   

a reply to: Timber13

Or, maybe, the data has changed, testing and screening methods are far superior to what they were in the 1980s, and the restriction is no longer necessary?

Obviously they scored some easy brownie points with one of their voting blocs at the same time. That's just how the game is played.

That's the only reason it was done. Has nothing to do with testing and screening as one poster has pointed out multiple times that blood transfusions always warn that they may still contain contaminants. Can you give blood if you recently got a tattoo or is that still a disqualifier?

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

"significant chance"

What if a bisexual guy didn't want to admit his having back door sex to anyone and lied, they would still take his blood, right?

Right. Just like if a guy was a transsexual (and actually tried to look like a real female) and walked into the women's restroom without announcing to everyone that he's really a guy. It probably happened all the time and nobody realized it or thought about it, sh#t like this is put on a pedestal to create division.

I don't agree with the transsexual culture or dudes who have anal sex or anything like that, but this falls along those lines of "what you don't know won't hurt you". How often do you think people have eaten fast food that someone spit on while they were making the burger and shooting the sh#t with an employee? Bet it happens all the time, but if you don't see it then the burger still tastes good. If you were to see it, you'd probably throw up.

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

"significant chance"

Well, there was a huge blood donor scandal, where bad blood was distributed, unscreened, this was quite a long time ago, that set the bar..understandably so, no argument that at the time, it was a prudent thing to do. I think things have vastly improved as far as testing/screening. My uncle was a dr, he did a lot of work with AIDS patients, things have come a long since the 80s.

JM2C

I know things have changed a lot since the 80's, I grew up in that era and would give anything to get those days back. My 2¢, it's not uncommon or hateful for someone not to want blood from a gay man. I'm a straight white Christian Trump supporting male, if I give blood and someone doesn't want it, I couldn't care less, it's there for whoever wants and needs it. If they want to lift restrictions for gay people to give blood, go for it, but nobody should be offended or surprised if someone else isn't privy to having it pumped into their body. It'll be there for people who don't care either way, but to a lot of people, that doesn't seem like like it's good enough.

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

This is one of the most ignorant OPs on the board to date.

No one is gonna give you the AIDS blood. Not every gay guy has AIDS. I’m fairly confident (and others in the thread have said) they test blood before it is used in case it has some disease/isn’t compatible or whatever.

Jesus.

I’ve read a lot of ignorant bull# on this website and this one takes the cake. I feel like I just stepped back into the 1980’s.

Ah yes, the 80's, a time when people were allowed to have an opinion not the same as your own. Of course you think all the differing opinions not in your echo chamber are bull#.

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   

"significant chance"

JM2C

I know things have changed a lot since the 80's, I grew up in that era and would give anything to get those days back. My 2¢, it's not uncommon or hateful for someone not to want blood from a gay man. I'm a straight white Christian Trump supporting male, if I give blood and someone doesn't want it, I couldn't care less, it's there for whoever wants and needs it. If they want to lift restrictions for gay people to give blood, go for it, but nobody should be offended or surprised if someone else isn't privy to having it pumped into their body. It'll be there for people who don't care either way, but to a lot of people, that doesn't seem like like it's good enough.

Good luck, do you think when they go to the cooler the bags are labeled "gay" or "not gay"

SMH

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 01:49 PM
link   

"significant chance"

JM2C

Good luck, do you think when they go to the cooler the bags are labeled "gay" or "not gay"

SMH

I don't need any luck. I don't know or care if the bags are labeled gay or straight, I'm telling you that since this has sparked a conversation then what's the harm in letting people decide whether or not they want blood from a gay guy? If they do, cool. If they don't, cool. But that's not good enough because there has to be division pushed.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:10 PM
link   

"significant chance"

JM2C

SMH

I don't need any luck. I don't know or care if the bags are labeled gay or straight, I'm telling you that since this has sparked a conversation then what's the harm in letting people decide whether or not they want blood from a gay guy? If they do, cool. If they don't, cool. But that's not good enough because there has to be division pushed.

I doubt you get to decide..is my point..it's probably going to blood, or no blood.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join