It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor falls through roof in New Jersey

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:28 AM
link   
In a press release, the Hopewell Township Police Department said a metallic object believed to be a meteorite crashed through the roof of a home on Old Washington Crossing Pennington Road.

People were in the home when the "oblong" shaped, 4-inch-by-6-inch metallic object crashed through the roof, then the ceiling before impacting the hardwood floor and coming to rest.

This is an official hammerstone so worth a lot more than the chondrite it probably is.
Even the wood damage and roof shingles are probably worth around a grand for being objects hit by a meteorite.
edit on 9-5-2023 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Thank goodness the object was not larger or hit someone at home. I remember another story where a larger stone crashed through a roof of someone's home.

Good news is they can maybe sell the object to recoup some of the cost of repairs to their house.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Thank goodness the object was not larger or hit someone at home. I remember another story where a larger stone crashed through a roof of someone's home.

Good news is they can maybe sell the object to recoup some of the cost of repairs to their house.

Most likely a break-up fragment of a large stone. Probably more in the general vicinity and perhaps a strewn field can be mapped out if there were enough witnesses. They are saying that it is possible it is a piece of the current meteor shower
the " eta Aquarids "

As the meteor hunters descend on the area, we will learn more. I wish I could go, but have lots to do here in Boston.

I think home insurance will cover it! - They should get some serious bucks for the stone and the debris it hit.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Another pic of this meteorite. The media thinks it is metal (iron), but the chips on the end look like a medium grayish material that is probably a chondrite. Chondrites are very heavy, so they probably assume it is an iron.

We should know soon as it is being tested.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Is it Joe Dirt ‘s meteor ? Lmao …. I love that movie !!

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I would love to find one of those with my metal detector, no luck yet.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   
far out, man

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Very cool. If someone doesn't end up with super-powers I'm going to be severely disappointed.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Another pic of this meteorite. The media thinks it is metal (iron), but the chips on the end look like a medium grayish material that is probably a chondrite. Chondrites are very heavy, so they probably assume it is an iron.

We should know soon as it is being tested.

It's trippy imagining that thing (attached to a larger one or not) flying through space for how many millions of years?

From where and when did it originate?

And then to ultimately land in someone's home and to be a picture on the internet that I'm talking about....

Wild stuff man.....

edit on 9-5-2023 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   

That thing is worth a ton of money left untouched , Someone would probably buy the entire house Very lucky home owner .

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Maybe connected... Bus-sized asteroid to hurtle past Earth, followed by four more

In the last 30 days, NASA identified 10 asteroids moving past Earth at a distance closer than the moon.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   
bumping thread

found on beachfront surf,,, in a tidal pool
at Surfside Beach SC

years ago...never certified as meteorite but it is metal weight not rock weighty

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

bumping thread

found on beachfront surf,,, in a tidal pool
at Surfside Beach SC

years ago...never certified as meteorite but it is metal weight not rock weighty

Kind of looks like a lava rock but those are light.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio
Does a refrigerator magnet stick to it? Some tips here on how to tell if meteorite or not:

meteorite checklist

Testing can be expensive and it's wasted money if not a meteorite. This site suggests sawing off an "end" to look inside (or getting someone with a rock saw to do it for you):

Do's and don'ts

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
Maybe connected... Bus-sized asteroid to hurtle past Earth, followed by four more

In the last 30 days, NASA identified 10 asteroids moving past Earth at a distance closer than the moon.

I read that we're passing through the same part of the Milky Way that we were in when the big meteor destroyed the dinos 66 million years ago.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018
I read that we're passing through the same part of the Milky Way that we were in when the big meteor destroyed the dinos 66 million years ago.
If you read it on the internet, it must be true...NOT.

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   

That would mean our Galaxy is orbiting something - There's no such thing as a return trip as far as Galaxy's I believe we are one direction and moving outward .
edit on 9-5-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 03:37 PM
link   

So replacing what insurance wouldn't cover because act of God. lol

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I wonder what the house owners were doing at the time?

Lord show me a sign and I'll never (Insert sin here) again!

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Imagine how much the meteorite that almost hit the sky diver would have been worth! If your haven't seen it I am sure its easily found one youtube and there was even a thread on it here...but yea while floating down, after opening his shoot, on video a meteorite almost passes right between the guys legs. Crazy stuff!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join