It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Decorum for members and moderators : May 2023

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Does that mean that all ATS members would be considered under the "journalist privilege" laws?

I doubt it.

What "journalists privilege laws?"

We have a first amendment:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment doesn't say that all Americans are part of the press and, because of that, fall under "journalist privilege" laws, as far as I know.

Yes, we are. There is not certificate, no license or authority declaring if one is press or not. Even still, the same right protecting press also protects free speech.

Again, where are these journalist privilege laws please?

And yes, here in Portugal things are, thankfully, slightly different.

I don't know how speech, press and laws are over there so I tried to make that clear.

I'm not surprised that the US is so low on that index. Social media has been a net detriment to free press.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Words of wisdom, Vroomfondel, words of wisdom.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

You never heard about "shield laws"? They exist to prevent journalists from being forced to give information they gathered while working and haven't published yet.

Although there isn't a federal US law for it (as far as I know), most states have laws like that.

posted on May, 6 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

originally posted by: JinMI

You never heard about "shield laws"? They exist to prevent journalists from being forced to give information they gathered while working and haven't published yet.

Although there isn't a federal US law for it (as far as I know), most states have laws like that.

As a matter of principal and constitutionality a jorurno dosnt have to divulge sources.

Its all part and parcel of our 1st amendment

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ats admin
Dear ATS Community and Staff,

First, we thank you for being part of the ATS Community and Staff. Many of you have been on the website from the very beginning and have seen the best and worst of ATS. Upon removing the pinned topics in this category to make room for this we found recurring, requests, and warnings about community standards, hate, personal attacks, and posts/replies that do not represent the values of ATS. These threads can be found in this forum dating back to 2005, repeated in 2008, again in 2012, again in 2013 etc. etc. .

A great amount of energy has gone into rebuilding Above Top Secret and with this comes the need to evolve as a community. Despite this being 2023, I would remind everybody once again that these sentiments have been repeated a multitude of times over the last two decades. These are not new ideas by any means but long past overdue.

We would like to address the moderator structure, the tools that they use and give both new and old members a full understanding of the original creators vision which the new ownership shares. We would also like to address the standards for which we ask our members to represent themselves and ultimately, Above Top Secret with.

To Begin: The moderator structure is as follows:

Djarums, DontTreadOnMe, and Majic are Super Moderators on the site. They have the final decision on any staff action.

The rest of the ATS Team has been assigned as moderators. This is by no means a reflection of who they are but rather a need to organize the team.

The ATS Staff consist of all volunteers and we ask that the ATS Members respect their time and dedication to the site by adhering to a standard of conduct.

ATS is a 100% Free Speech Platform and we welcome all topics and opinions but with freedom comes personal responsibility. A lack of personal responsibility is the reason why we must have moderators, why we made the decision to archive The Political Mud Pit, and why we need government as a whole. As someone pointed out "ATS is ahead of the curve" yet some members of the community have been holding back the community by demonstrating a lack of personal responsibility and a need for moderation on the website. As someone else pointed out, the Moderators were having to deal with dozens of user complaints every hour and this is not a respectful use of their time.

If you do not feel you have "Free Speech" here at ATS then we urge you to go to Youtube, Reddit, Facebook, or any other platform and post your unfiltered thoughts and opinions about something. We do not have policies about "medical misinformation", "election misinformation", or any of the other censorship being implemented by Big Tech. Why? Because ATS is a community and not a money making platform therefore we do not adhere to the pressure of advertisers who do not want to advertise with this type of content. However, we will also not be the target of trolls, paid operatives, federal agents, or any other type of concerted effort to tarnish the reputation of ATS or use this platform and community for real or staged violence due to stoking the flames of bigoted hatred.

There isn't a single topic that is "off limits" , it is all in the way it is presented. One of two posts with identical ideas may be moved to the trash bin because of the way it represents yourself and ATS. If the ATS community is truly "ahead of the curve", then you are intelligent enough to delivery your message in a civil and palatable manner that does not give ammunition to CNN, Politifact, Reddit, USA Today or any other propaganda machine to discredit the historical data that is on ATS written by the community over the last two decades.

If you are not intelligent enough to deliver your message in a civil manner then you are not a fit for ATS or you are a paid operative. We know who you are already. Do not mistaken us for first-year "truthers" who are going to ignore our principles and standards simply because you cry "censorship".

In the spirit of transparency these are the tools the moderators have in their tool box. Perhaps by understanding this you can skip the long Terms and Conditions posted on our TOS page and understand what we expect on the forum.

1. Warn This sends a warning to the user about a general TOS violation
2. Applaud : This applauds a user for a well written or insightful post. Moderators, please try to use this function more.
3. 1 Liner - This is used to warn users about writing one liner posts and replies. We look for thought and substance.
4. Manners - This is used to warn a user for being rude and to remind them to adhere to common manners
5. Off Topic - This is used to warn a user about replies to a post that are off topic
And of course, "ban" where a user is banned from posting for a certain period of time and for "hard ban" where a user is indefinitely banned

It's very simple.

1. Don't be rude
2. Don't incite violence
3. Don't be hateful or bigoted
4. Don't represent yourself or ATS as such
5. Do not attack the website , members, or ATS Staff

If you believe ATS has been "infiltrated" or "run by government" or whatever attention seeking allegations we've seen in threads then it's logical to conclude that you're either a troll, a paid operative, or a fool because you are engaging in a website where you believe this to be the case.

As you know ATS was purchased in 2021 and the site has been left to transform into what the community would like it to be. IN 2023 it was decided that a more "hands on" approach.

The stakes are higher, the political atmosphere has changed, and the need for a free-speech platform is now more than ever.

The founders wrote in the Constitution "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed".

"Well regulated" is key. Who regulated the founders? They regulated themselves. As responsible adults we practice firearm's safety and procedures to demonstrate that our right to bear arms is an essential right of every human being and a mentally ill minority is responsible for senseless gun violence. Likewise, we must practice the same maturity and responsibility with our Right To Free Speech because your words represent yourself and the community in a positive or negative light.

Finally: We have heard that removing the pit was "punishing all for the bad behavior of a few", Once again. we would like to emphasize that there are no banned topics related the subject matter of each forum. Metaphorically speaking, you are merely expected to keep your firearm holstered, safety on, never point it at anyone when showing it off or cleaning it, ensuring the chamber is not loaded, and that it stays out of reach of children but rather than a firearm, it is the most powerful weapon of all... your words, which is why it is the FIRST amendment.

TY

IMO - The above manifesto is a Masterpiece at explaining where things stand, the rules of the road, and the over arching philosophy of the new AboveTopSecret.com.

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
oh K

Love the site but I honestly see far too many discrepancies and just fairly odd ways to touch upon certain points. But it's your board so it's whatever you say.
edit on CDT2105bAmerica/ChicagoThu, 11 May 2023 15:21:27 -050013 by Timber13 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ats admin

may let us select our own mods ?

or rotate them from time to time

posted on May, 16 2023 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I think it's great that ATS is taking steps to ensure that there is a respectful and civil atmosphere for both members and moderators. It's important that everyone in the forum is treated with respect and that the moderators are setting a good example for other members. Hopefully this will create an environment of mutual respect and understanding that will make ATS a more enjoyable place for everyone.

posted on May, 20 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: nenothtu

You may remember me, or you may not. if you do, then you'll realize I'm no stranger to trouble.

I know who you are. Always a pleasant surprise to find where you've left a trail.

posted on May, 21 2023 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

I was just telling a colleague he'd appreciate ATS more by going here h ttps://boards.4channel.org/news/ and try to navigate that undisciplined platform. He did, and came back shell-shocked, lol.

edit on Sun May 21 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod note....Broke link

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 10:17 AM
link   
May I ask who are the current mods and supermods?

Seem to have been a few changes.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

www.abovetopsecret.com...

View from desktop or 8n desktop mode via mobile.

They are listed.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Thanks, but I m not seeing it?

Maybe my crappy phone.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: JinMI

Thanks, but I m not seeing it?

Maybe my crappy phone.

Here you go...

On mobile, switch to desktop mode, as JinMI suggested.

edit on 22/5/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Many thanks.

Some changes, indeed.

What happened to The Redneck and others?

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   
To briefly interject..

Of speech is free, how can consequences of censorship exist? - Jinmi

I agree with the above quote.
Now let's go further and
say, Good honest people don't need to be monitored for they already speak with decency, selfish, self serving drama seekers always start something in threads provoking chaos.

Thus, making it easier to peg the trouble makers is it not?

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Who defines the "trouble makers"?

You?

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Ever heard that saying?

"If you cant say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Oh yeah, that and common sense works wonders along with self control.

posted on May, 22 2023 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Insofar as ATS is concerned, the 'troublemakers' are measured against the T&Cs; even then, they are counseled. Many of ATS staff had several actions against them before being invited to staff.

In real life, I think 'troublemakers' are measured against whatever Constitutional or religious dogma you swear fealty toward. Sometimes people are characterized as troublemakers, and they are really activists or even patriots. The key is in the definition.

1. Who is making the accusation of troublemaker? Do they have an agenda?
2. Is the accusation against individuals or groups? Who decides who fits in the groups?
3. What is the judged consequence of the 'trouble'? Is it synonymous with 'unlawful'? Why or why not?
4. What is perceived motive of the 'troublemaker'? If their goal is to help others, TRULY help others, consider that the term doesn't fit.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 23 2023 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

True, but what would ATS be if we were all to be "nice" to each other?

An echo chamber?

Now, rude and ill mannered is a different matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join