It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomato-Parmigiano-Cream-Sauce Family Recipe (Nonna style)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2023 @ 12:47 PM
link   

After getting lot's of undeserved compliments for my Nonna's Tomato-Parmigiano-Cream sauce, I thought why not share the recipe with you! Kids love this sauce and it can be done in under 10 minutes. It's great for so many things, you can use it for pasta, fish or sea fruit, you can even spread it on fresh bread or toast or use it for a sandwich.

This recipe is optimized for 2-3 people. You need a deep pot and a wand blender, or normal blender will do, just more stuff to clean....

1 generous shot of olive oil
1 can of tomato, whole or cut, the size of 6.5oz (200ml) you can use fresh ones too but canned is more intensive.
1/2 can cream, around 3-4oz (100ml)
1 small onion
3 toes garlic
1 chunk of Parmigiano
2 teaspoon yellow mustard
optional: 2-3 shot glasses of soft/fruity red wine (by feeling)
optional: A bit lime or lemon juice

For the herb mix you need roughly:
1/2 tablespoon Oregano, Basil.
1/4 tablespoon Rosemary
a bit Thyme and a bit Savory
to your own tastings.

You can get this mix in the store, it runs under Italian pizza herbs. it's the base mixture I listed but I do my own mix because I have every single herb available in the kitchen. So should you

Heat up some olive oil in a deep(!) pot, cut the onion Julien style (= just stripes), because we're going to blend them anyways later. When the onions start getting glassy, throw in the garlic, also just roughly cut. When the onion stars to caramelize, put in the yellow mustard. Stir and wait until it bubbles. Now extinguish the roast with the red wine. By extinguish I do not mean drowning, pour in slowly and stir, it needs to bubble. If you do not want to use red wine, you can pour in a bit of the tomato juice from the can and let that bubble a bit. You do this to pick up the roast aromatics that build up in the pot and collect there.

Now put the rest of the tomato in. Full heat, keep stirring. Blend with the wand. Add the herbs after blending. Cook for 5 minutes, keep stirring. Slowly add 3/4th of your cream. Now taste, don't dilute the tomato too much. When you are confident about the taste, grind in some Parmigiano, keep tasting in between you don't want to overdo it.

That's it. The sauce in the picture is cold already.

Make it the day before, let it cool off without the lid and then put it into your fridge, covered of course. Reheat next day. There's cream inside so you need to cool it if you don't want to sauce to spoil fast. Tomato intensifies when reheated.

Let me know how you liked it

posted on Apr, 24 2023 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Sounds really delish.
I love a good tomato cream sauce, and your directions seem easy to follo.

Buon appetito!

join