It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Year Old Honor Student Shot Twice For Ringing Doorbell

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: Moon68

And? Your doorbell rings after 10pm so you just shoot through the door? You can speak without a door open. You don't ask"who is it?". Kid would have said, something like "Ralph, here to get my brothers". You then tell them it's the wrong house. Is it really that difficult?

I had someone do that after dark superbowl Sunday. Knocked on the door. They actually wanted the house across the street that was recently purchased. I didn't have to shoot anyone.

did he say that?

All the things I was taught say this was wrong and illegal. If the bad man comes into your house, you can shoot him. But be sure he IS the bad man, before you kill him. You can't shoot the bad man just for being in the yard or on the porch. I do not know how it works in the stand your ground states. But you never shoot at something or someone until you are threatened. And a door between you and the bad man is enough to not be threatened.

But before everyone gets angry at one side or the other, finding all the facts might prove worthwhile. Why was this guy so paranoid that he would shoot through his door? Did he have other incidents where he was being aggravated late at night?

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   

It is a stand your ground state, so guess we will see how this plays out.

The only question is, what the actual # happened when the door opened?

The only - absolutely only reasonable justification for shooting someone like this is if the person at the door attacked the person opening the door.

If the story is actually true - and I've learned not to rely on the first versions of any story like this - and the boy was just at the wrong house, and did not in fact attack or threaten the homeowner, then the homeowner should be charged with attempted murder (or murder if the boy dies).

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew
In my book that's attempted murder, pure and simple.

I can only assume, in slight mitigation, that the homeowner had been plagued by kids ringing his doorbell and running away and had finally had enough? What other possible explanation?

That would still be (attempted) murder.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moon68
Nowhere did you mention that this occurred after 10pm.

A potentially very important point.

The other questions I have are, what is the neighborhood like? Are there lots of shootings? Are people in fear for their lives all the time? If it is one of those kinds of neighborhoods, then the homeowner should get a little more slack.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   

a reply to: watchitburn

The kid had to go to 3 houses and ask for help before 911 was called.

This suggests that it is a very 'not good' neighborhood.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

but this boy had no weapons and no dialogue was exchanged to suggest malice or criminal intent.

How do you know that? No way to know that from the article. Do you have additional info the rest of us are not privy to?

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

a reply to: beyondknowledge2
Both. He was shot twice. Once in the head through the door and again after he was down.

I'm confused too.

The way the article is written, it sounds like he was shot through the closed door - meaning, before it was opened.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

It is a stand your ground state, so guess we will see how this plays out.

The only question is, what the actual # happened when the door opened?

The only - absolutely only reasonable justification for shooting someone like this is if the person at the door attacked the person opening the door.

If the story is actually true - and I've learned not to rely on the first versions of any story like this - and the boy was just at the wrong house, and did not in fact attack or threaten the homeowner, then the homeowner should be charged with attempted murder (or murder if the boy dies).

Not quite. If someone is trying to break into your home and you feel your life is in danger should they succeed, you are justified in shooting them in self defense.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Numerous articles do state he was originally shot through the closed door. Then shot the 2nd time once he was down.
edit on 17-4-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

but this boy had no weapons and no dialogue was exchanged to suggest malice or criminal intent.

How do you know that? No way to know that from the article. Do you have additional info the rest of us are not privy to?

They don't, they're making assumptions. Nobody but the two people there know the actual facts at this point.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:29 AM
link   
From the OP's link;

A man opened the door, saw Yarl and shot him in the head. When Yarl fell to the ground, the man shot him again. Yarl got up and ran from the property, but he had to ask at three different homes before someone helped him, Spoonmore said.

Officials would not confirm the number of times the homeowner shot the victim or where his injuries were.

Police initially said Yarl was in stable condition but had a life-threatening injury. His current condition has not been released, other than he is stable.

“Even though he is doing well physically, he has a long road ahead mentally and emotionally,” Spoonmore wrote in a GoFundMe she started to raise money for Yarl’s medical bills and other expenses.

Um? what!
This 16 year-old was shot in the head at point blank range (that's what it would be called if shot at the door), gets up and tries to run away before being shot again, but now he's "doing well physically". Is this story real or is it a fake story being pushed to shove race-baited protests and anti-gun laws?

Does anyone else think that it's a fake story? I mean it's possible that this kid was shot, but I doubt it's for just ringing a door bell at the wrong house. I'm thinking back to the whole Trayvon Martin killing where it was revealed later on that he was a suspect for several break-ins in the neighborhood. It was too bad/late when the media finally told that side of the story. There seems to be either missing information by the media to foster race-baiting, or this whole story is just nonsense.

Getting shot in the head at point blank range and still being able to run off for help. Really?

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I wish news articles didn't have to sensationalize every story to push a narrative or pull at heart strings.

It wasn't an unarmed teenage boy shot for no reason.
It was an honor student shot for no reason.
Can't wait until they post a pic of the kid in his choir uniform from five years ago.

Just a dead kid with vultures circling for political points.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Numerous articles do state he was originally shot through the closed door. Then shot the 2nd time once he was down.

another "rule" you learn when you take the CCW class is that once a person is "down" you cannot shoot them again, they are no longer a threat, unless they are trying to get access to a weapon. So shooting a person when they are already down isn't the right thing to do. At least based on the training I received.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

a knock on the door that late and I myself am armed when I go to the door.

LOL why?????

I have to wonder why the parents thought it was appropriate to send their unaccompanied 16 year old to retrieve his siblings. Every door has a Schrodinger's sociopath behind it. You can't know for sure until a qualified adult has inspected the residence and confirmed the mental state of the inhabitants.

My older kids pick up the younger ones all the time. It shouldn't be a problem. They thought they were sending him to a home of someone they knew, but he got the wrong house.

originally posted by: watchitburn
Have there been home invasions or robberies in the area lately?

What time was it? Late at night?

How hard was he knocking on the door?

Was he being threatening?

None of these questions are addressed in the source.

Nor do they matter.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

It's noted

Police initially said Yarl was in stable condition but had a life-threatening injury. His current condition has not been released, other than he is stable.

I can't say as I'm not a doctor, however I'm sure I've read of people shot in the head who have been able to seek help previously. I imagine it depends on where you're shot in the head and the damage caused.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
a reply to: frogs453

In today's environment, you need to keep your phone on you. He should have called his brother from the curb before knocking.

Well, I agree with your assumption as evidenced by this case, but this is absolutely preposterous. You shouldn't be afraid to knock on the wrong door, or even knock on a neighbor's door, and if someone is be l bleeding to death with a headshot wound, you shouldn't not help them.

All of this is showing that basic human decency is out the window.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

another "rule" you learn when you take the CCW class is that once a person is "down" you cannot shoot them again, they are no longer a threat, unless they are trying to get access to a weapon. So shooting a person when they are already down isn't the right thing to do. At least based on the training I received.

That's my belief when I had firearms training as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

LOL why?????

I have to wonder why the parents thought it was appropriate to send their unaccompanied 16 year old to retrieve his siblings. Every door has a Schrodinger's sociopath behind it. You can't know for sure until a qualified adult has inspected the residence and confirmed the mental state of the inhabitants.

My older kids pick up the younger ones all the time. It shouldn't be a problem. They thought they were sending him to a home of someone they knew, but he got the wrong house.

originally posted by: watchitburn
Have there been home invasions or robberies in the area lately?

What time was it? Late at night?

How hard was he knocking on the door?

Was he being threatening?

None of these questions are addressed in the source.

Nor do they matter.

Because mine and my families safety is more important that whoever is on the other side of that door.

That could be a fair point but the question is also pertinent. I would not have sent my 16 year old child to an area they didn't know at 10:30 at night to pick up a sibling. I'd have, oh I don't know, be a parent and do it myself.

All those questions could matter as it relates to the circumstance leading up to the shooting.

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Because mine and my families safety is more important that whoever is on the other side of that door.

"Who is it?" "Sorry, you have the wrong house".

Works a lot better than, "pew pew pew pew murika!"

posted on Apr, 17 2023 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

"Who is it?" "Sorry, you have the wrong house".

Works a lot better than, "pew pew pew pew murika!"

I agree with that 100% but that's not what you asked

LOL why?????

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join