It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindle Forced Censored 'Updates' Of Previously Purchased E Books On Readers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Great, now Amazon Kindle is "editing" your already purchased electronic versions of books to be more "Woke". Another good reason to always buy a paper version of books, especially useful ones. Get what you want on a .pdf and store it on a thumb drive.

Just more censorship. Soon they will just delete your purchases if the book is "not activist friendly".

thepostmillennial.com...

Readers who own digital copies of Roald Dahl books on their Kindle devices are expressing their dismay at their collections being automatically updated with the new censored versions that were revised to be more politically correct.

Despite the fact that she purchased the original version of Dahl's 1988 classic Matilda, one reader by the name of Clarissa Aykroyd shared that her Kindle had updated to the newly-released censored version, which switched phrases like "mothers and fathers" to the gender-neutral "parents."

In the current version of the book, any mention of both Conrad and fellow novelist Kipling were scrubbed.

"I barely cared about the Roald Dahl changes before, but hearing that they are forcing updates to customers who had previously purchased uncensored ebooks makes me want to throw my Kindle in the trash," wrote another Twitter user.

After the backlash surrounding the new editions, Puffin Books announced they would be releasing uncensored "classic texts" of Dahl's work, though Kindle users weren't given the choice to pick.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Marxist Corporatist Agenda 😲

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Buy used books that are tangible

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Actions like these are more than likely hidden in the terms of service somewhere.
Is it reprehensible that they are doing this?
Of course.
But we, the consumers, are actually responsible for the state of things now.
We enabled giants like Amazon and Walmart to exist in the first place, eschewing our local retailers , just to save a few dollars.
Greed is responsible for almost every ill we can conceive of when it pertains to the modern world.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Yep. Knew it was only a matter of time. Some days I know how Cassandra of Troy had to feel.

I think if these were mine, I might demand a refund on the grounds that they are no longer Roald Dahl's books, but cheap, imitation knock-offs thar have been plagiarized.
edit on 3-3-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   
FWIW, I didn't think Kindle DID automatic updates.
I've always had to manually update titles.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”
― George Orwell, 1984

just more and more our reality

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Many forward thinkers like Dr Joseph Farrell saw this coming a mile away, and said I am never putting my books out as e-books. Only paper copies.

posted on Mar, 3 2023 @ 07:30 PM
link   

How George Orwell 1984 of them. This is some straight up newspeak garbage which I did expect Amazon to do. I believe in fact they did do it to the book 1984. It’s been a long time but I seem to recall that I’ll have to check some old research files.z

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I would have to assume only the author/copyright holder can "change" the content of their work.

And in purchasing that work, I would also assume that what I pay for is now "mine" in terms of its content (after all, that is what I paid for.)

No doubt the "terms of service" provide the power of the middleman 'sales point' to change that content at their whim? Regardless of what I "paid" for? ... I have to wonder.

Paper books are more and more appealing, as e-books are more and more promoted... I wonder if they foresaw that effect of their "virtual" commerce?

Invest in books... not ether.

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Were living in 1984.

Disinfo governance boards.
Anything that goes against the state is misinformation.
Editing previously written books to make them more woke or change facts.
Gov treating citizens like terrorists.
24/7 spying and data collection

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 12:16 AM
link   
This kind of nonsense doesn't affect the rest of the world yet now they want to put this onto the East.

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: v1rtu0s0
Because some in the West were triggered by the original 1984 they are going to rewrite it.

posted on Mar, 4 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

See folks, it's not the proverbial book-burners & restrictors that I worry about -- they do their thing, and move on. # gets reprinted, redistributed and life goes merrily on in due time.
^^It's all grossly oversimplified here, but it'll do for this.

You do not have the luxury of reprinting & redistributing with Morality Editors, because that edition? No longer exists. Now you permanently get Pussified James Bond, and the Pre-Approval Corps.

That Corps & their sanctioned movie nights are gonna be a gas, I bet.

Be wary what blatantly crosses boundaries.

posted on Mar, 5 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

In the article they state that Puffin Books updated Dahl's E book.

His family sold the copyright of all his works to Netflix. But apparently before they did (they being the Roald Dahl Story Company) the decision was made to sanitize the work of the dead author to fit some silly narrative, which is an unthinkable act.

If I remember correctly, in KDP, there is a setting where you can opt to update peoples already purchased Kindle books.

edit on 5-3-2023 by fishy6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2023 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I wonder if one would have a case on bait and switch? Like...this is not what I purchased.

Fortunately for me, the only kindle book I ever bought is The SAS Survival Guide in which I dont think any wording would be changed.

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   
That news is interesting for me as an ebook fan and aspiring writer. I want to release ebooks first. And if my fiction works become popular and interesting for readers, only then do I plan to switch to a printed book. And I know I would not like such automatic editing and updates of my work. I have already contacted the site for the most successful editing. And the final version of my work is quite good, in my opinion. The ebook ghostwriting and editing help was a perfect find that improved my fiction to its maximum quality. Therefore, I will repeat that as an author, I do not consider it reasonable to make changes to fiction works without prior agreement with me. After all, with such changes, you can lose the initial idea the author laid down.

posted on Jun, 18 2023 @ 09:21 PM
link   
This is why I chose the overlooked and subtley marketed eBook Reader before purchasing.

Why do my files need to be enabled to wifi?

DIdn't we grow up with enough cautions about the dangers of the Technocracy?

Obviously, these Consumers missed the memo.

posted on Jun, 19 2023 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonJack
That news is interesting for me as an ebook fan and aspiring writer. I want to release ebooks first. And if my fiction works become popular and interesting for readers, only then do I plan to switch to a printed book. And I know I would not like such automatic editing and updates of my work. I have already contacted the site penfellow.com... for the most successful editing. And the final version of my work is quite good, in my opinion. The ebook ghostwriting and editing help was a perfect find that improved my fiction to its maximum quality. Therefore, I will repeat that as an author, I do not consider it reasonable to make changes to fiction works without prior agreement with me. After all, with such changes, you can lose the initial idea the author laid down.

I'd like to add to my previous post that changing authors' books can lead not only to unwanted changes to the original idea or plot but is a violation of copyright. Therefore, all modern authors must track their e-books and changes to them.

posted on Jun, 19 2023 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The obvious concern is the fact that they can be doing this at any time to any book and continuously, ever manipulating the masses -- just like the CCP changing the Bible to match CCP principles. I don't e-book, but it seems obvious that neither should others. Physical pages are better for your eyes anyway.

new topics

top topics

join