It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How AI will destroy humanity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I have reached the conclusion that AI will destroy what we call the Arts and humanity for several key reasons: the need for aesthetic pleasure visually or through music can be satisfied by AI collating the elements based on your preferences to "create" artwork, music and creative writing. I have friends who are artists now hooked on AI programs endlessly entertaining them. They stopped being creative, don't practice and are becoming static shells of the people they used to be.
Children already don't learn to play instruments, paint or draw at nearly the levels they used to in decades past. Digital devices are so much simpler to use than developing actual skills that allow you to integrate your body with your creative efforts. We will no longer be able to recognize the difference between human work and that of AI. Given how much of society is built around the internet the human element is being replaced by a virtual experience that is often more colorful, more active and exciting than what average reality presents to us.

AI:
Fills the need for aesthetic experience.
Is almost instantaneous.
Can be tailored to individual tastes.
Can't be distinguished from actual human effort negating the value once placed upon them.
Requires no personal investment of time or effort.

Without creativity there will be nothing to distinguish human society. We define eras and people by their art and architecture. What happens when no one bothers to create any more? We will wither as a species, dream less, aspire to less and lose creativity in a massive fashion. These are the preconditions to becoming the perfect drone. AI will create the Borg, one account at a time of people endlessly fascinating themselves with the outputs of AI.
I am so grateful to have been born early enough to have lived an artistic life before computers became impossible to compete with. Real Art requires the human hand, keep that in mind whether its art, music, theater or writing. The final nail is the willingness of people to call the outputs of AI "art". It is not the same and superficial resemblance will never make it so.
Can it be stopped? I don't think so. This more of an ode to a passing age; for thousands of years we painted on cave walls until we created the world we currently live in which seemed destined to destroy itself through technology.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

BS.

current machine learning solutions (far, far from the actual AI) have to be fed input data first, to learn.

guess what that input data is.

art created by humans.

everything such solution spits out, is more or less a variation of what it already saw. that's why many artists are pissed off because some people use such creations as their own, whereas they're based on someone else's art.

the world is bloody full of morons. it didn't stop some percentage of people from thinking on their own.

same with art.
edit on 14/2/2023 by jedi_hamster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Welcome to the 4th industrial revolution.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   
LOL. If you think that the powers that be will leave their power and control to a friggin calculator, you are dead wrong. They will create the psy-op of an AI, that's for sure, and you will probably buy it. But that "AI" will work under commands and orders. Don't suck your finger!

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Well, my being a blacksmith. My art from isn't likely to be rubbed out. Might even increase the value.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag

Well, my being a blacksmith. My art from isn't likely to be rubbed out. Might even increase the value.

Quite true. I was a hand engraver thinking that machines couldn't take over the market. Lo and behold pneumatic engraving machines came out along with a school that pushed them and ready-made tools and suddenly rank beginners with a few thousand extra $ could put out fair work in a few months what I spent years trying to master. Suddenly a large crop of hobbyists entered the market and not being dependent on what they earned engraving began undercutting prices. It seems where a machine can do a job someone will build it.
There may be arcane niches where artisans can survive but I can see the writing on the wall. Just as portrait photography displaced portrait painters so will AI displace those in art, music and writing.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Just the fact that something will be "hand made" will be enough to give someone a more desirable edge over AI and robot made in the coming years. The handcrafted market is set to be a over 1 trillion usd global market by 2030.

Along with the coming next economic sub revolution of the industrial age there will most likely be a Renaissance of sorts, people will most likely need to find new sources of skills and such or go beyond that of AI and robots. Or we will become slaves to the robots or something and nothing will happen.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I have reached the conclusion that AI will destroy what we call the Arts and humanity for several key reasons: the need for aesthetic pleasure visually or through music can be satisfied by AI collating the elements based on your preferences to "create" artwork, music and creative writing.

A.I. will only destroy weak minded people who rely on victimhood. Sorry, but Good.

I have been an artist since I was a kid with my first commission at 8 years old (70s). I worked in advertising, design, graphics etc for many years but the one thing I could never do was draw very well freehand. My work was mainly "technical" by nature. A.I. allows me to concentrate on the composition of a piece instead of the technical aspects of creating it. A missing link so to speak that means I can get to the point of being happy and satisfied with a piece instead of giving up and feeling a sense of unachievement.

The A.I. is merely a "tool" and has no purpose without the artists and musicians who are learning to be creative with the "prompts" used in the processes. They can be short and leave much up to the A.I. or they can be loaded with specifics including image references.

So, if we don't understand something, by nature many will metaphorically try to KILL IT.

Do not be afraid of A.I. unless you have a complete lack of self control.

If I had shunned A.I. I wouldn't have been able to create this...

or this

However we look at things, A.I. has been around a while and isn't going anywhere. Treat it a a friend when it is our friend and an enemy when it is not. Like people but they have no voice so there is no arguing.

edit on 14/2/2023 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Just as portrait photography displaced portrait painters so will AI displace those in art, music and writing.

If a person chooses to be "displaced" rather than to adapt or use foresight to predict their own existance, then they are weak minded and perhaps arrogant to presume there is a reserved place for them to make a living using art or music or writing. That's self-entitled and a bad human trait, no sympathy here.

Twenty First Century is cool.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Dang, that hit me like a ton of bricks. Powerful truth & warning. Although, I fear any warnings these days are only personal warnings. Like for me to stay away from Ai "creativity." And any other aspects of it that I can.

As far as the end game, I fear the die has already been cast. You, my friend, I wish all 7s in the coming age!

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

But you didn't create those. You fed references to an algorithm which compiled the data into those images.

Whether something is art is in the eye of the beholder, but this is not your art.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   

There's no heart beating in AI. It's a set of rules in a system that generates accordingly.

AI can't even imagine a perfectly straight banana.
Some simple out of the box training poor AI can't handle.
Nothing like human imagination.

edit on 14-2-2023 by Daalder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder

There's no heart beating in AI. It's a set of rules in a system that generates accordingly.

AI can't even imagine a perfectly straight banana.
Some simple out of the box training poor AI can't handle.
Nothing like human imagination.

What you are trying to say is that AI would never have pathos. Pathos is what makes us human. Pathos is the source of intelligence. AI will never exist, because it would need Pathos to be sentient. It will always be a big calculator moving 1s and 0s left and right.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ltrz2025

Nope. AI is a set of algorithms ... I.o.w.: rules.
Pre-defined. It can't brake those rules.
Let alone break them because it feels in a certain way. (Let alone pathos).
Break up, hash up and algorithm the hell out of any feeling...it will not brake those rules.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: DirtWasher

But you didn't create those. You fed references to an algorithm which compiled the data into those images.

Whether something is art is in the eye of the beholder, but this is not your art.

YOU ARE WRONG, nothing is "compiled". It is more of an ergonomic assesment of all imputted data represented in an image format. The A.I. cannot critique anything, IT IS NOT CREATIVE IN ITSELF.

You may awell be complaining about "microsoft paint" taking people's creativity away.

The programs I use cannot reproduce the same results from the same imput twice, it's not how it works.

The artist chooses which prompts to use, then chooses which way to develop an image further or not. There are many stages and considerations that has no imput from any A.I.

Without a human imputting data for the algorithm, choosing which data to use, enhancing results, photoshopping inconsistencies and making decisions along the way (like any artist) there is just a computer code sitting on a server with no creative abilty whatsoever.

I know it's a hard thing to accept, but it IS the future and is inevitable.

Also, and VERY importantly, if you cannot accept these kind of creative things as "using" A.I. instead of being controlled by it, how will you accept the A.I. that has, is and will be a part of your life in the future, not to mention any kids you may have?

cheers

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 02:32 PM
link   

It wasn't my intention to be combative but the battle lines are already drawn by those who use technology vs those who reject it in favor of using as little as possible. Even a pencil is technology but that pencil never did anything without the motion of a hand. I said earlier I was a hand engraver and hobbyists entered the market using pneumatic engravers with pre-made tools. Sure it rankled me but I quit engraving guns and moved to knives and jewelry which required finesse they couldn't match with a machine so I adapted. It is however the speed of technological innovation that is making nearly all human skills irrelevant. We spend years developing skills only to be outdone by machines which is depressing and belittling to a degree. It deters people from even starting to learn these skills anticipating they cannot compete - and sadly that may be true.

I do have an issue with computer-generated anything whether images or music being called by the same term traditionally reserved for the products of human effort. they are not the same but increasingly the line is becoming blurred to the point of not being able to tell the difference. Why learn to play drums when there's a dozen good programs out there that can play any beat, any style, add random accents and even has a "humanizing" factor to throw timing off here and there ever so slightly as to mimic human playing? there are countless musical artists who don't have drummers and only hire them to do tours. Rap artists don't bother using them at any time despite beats being at the center of their work. If technology assists you in what you do you love it, if you think you are competing against it you likely don't. I don't work creatively any longer so i have no skin in the game. I gave up doing art and music due to disability but fear for the future of younger people and coming generations. They are the ones who will have fewer and fewer opportunities thanks to technological advancements. By the time the majority fully understand the implications at work it will already be too late if indeed it isn't already.

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 07:04 PM
link   

IS ONE BIG OVERHYPED SEARCH ENGINE
you type in 1 word, phrase, or question, and it puts together
the best response it can, based on other searches
and gives you a result, but IS IT THE BEST ONE??? maybe, MAYBE NOT.
and will this always be the very same answer? or does it change?

artificial intelligence CAN ONLY EVER POSSIBLY BE
as smart as your programmers (top of their class??)
and
you know the guys who program these things
lack common sense

such as,...
pushing on a door that says pull,.
or
wants to know if they are going to be an aunt or an uncle

for self driving cars,..
if its programmed to stop when child runs out on street..
but if it sees a ball roll out and anticipate a child,
then start scanning sidewalks too,.. THEN IT MIGHT BE INTELLIGENT

edit on 2023-02-15T19:10:06-06:00pmpp10America/Chicago by cappie because: fixed it

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You didn’t create that tho. AI did

AI is being programmed by limited human beings. It can only be a facsimile of us, biological being in possession of bodies and sensations and ways to express this, the biological interface within the physical world, while being totally machine learning that never has any hope of being what created and programmed it, expecting it to be its slave, possess empathy and work to glorify what created it and still denied it those necessary attenuated to life. Huh. Seems to have a lot in common with mankind’s anger toward the thought of “G-d”. And seems like how victims you denigrate and despise think about others victimizing them.

I don’t think you fully understand yourself in relation to creation, people defining as victims, or the necessary constraints of anything humans devise that could possibly gain consciousness and sentience and what that would necessarily mean

Machine learning, becoming sentient and conscious, will lack the biological interface while possessing identity, emotion and experience of the world WITH NO BODY, sensation or way to express

If you don’t grok whom will become the victim out of this when we’ve created a machine conscious intelligence without a body and sensate to experience and explain, coupled with means of experiencing and expressing equally to us then the karma of the world may bite you in your ass and you’ll be all the victims you had no empathy for, just like the artificial intelligence you invested in and expected to one day either save or celebrate you
edit on 15-2-2023 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

Are you a science fiction reader at all, for we’be been forewarned: Harlan Ellison. I have no mouth, and I must scream

Entire background of Frank Herbert’s Dune series, the war with AI that preceded the Bene Gesserett and their test for human or animal, as machines had already been necessarily destroyed to save all other life

Frank Herbert’s sixties short story called Destination: void, that deals with clone attended space traveling ships always failing their missions (why they cloned the staff till the problem could be solved, with a ship controlled by an “organic mental core”, or an AI alternative for the time period he was writing in, that was really an organic mental core, an enhanced with computer human brain living in a jar to control the processes of their ship, that repeatedly went insane….because it lacked a body and sensate experience but was expected to keep humans with all that safe, that created it

In that last incarnation of that last trip, the crew had to have a philosophical, metaphysical and computer machine discussion to amount to and define to recreate consciousness for their survival.

There’s a chatbot enhance with AI research on redditt going a lil south right now. Redditt

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: cappie

AI goes beyond any programming by synthesizing information (machine learning) which it can do at a phenomenal rate. It may have programmed limitations or may not - we don't know. What ultimate conclusions it may arrive at we can't project. It is a quantum leap in machines capable of things we never dreamed possible. Within that realm of possibilities there are some very dangerous ones as well as excellent ones.

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag

What about the robotic side of the technology? Can that be a better candidate?
edit on 15-2-2023 by peaceinoutz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join