It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First World problems need find authentic Wor Wonton Soup locally

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ive been coughing and my throat has been sore sinuses stuffed up, and we used to always get Wor Wonton Soup we were sick. We had a fantastic place we used to live close to but have since moved away.

It's been years since Ive had it but every place locally has nothing but the simple Wonton Soup with one or 2 Wontons and water chestnuts and a few scallions even though most of the broth is weak and tasteless. We have found some decent Hot and Sour soups but no Wor Wonton, full of Chinese pork tenderloin shrimp chicken, broccoli, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn, scallions, and what I believe is water crest and celery or leeks all in a chicken stock likely enhanced with other essential ingredients.

It's so satisfying, and a heaping bowl with fried won ton strips and a dab of hot Chinese mustard is a meal in itself.

Can't find it anywhere close by and Im seriously tempted to make the hour-and-a-half trip to the old stomping grounds to get some soon, though it's been years and even the original place might not be there or be as good as it used to be

Think I found a place where I can customize and add in most of the ingredients to regular Won Ton soup and may try that option LOL but it's a buck per item LOL Im gonna have a 20-buck quart of Wor Wonton Soup

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Never seen or heard of Wor Wonton soup in any Chinese place anywhere around here.
Is that a regional thing?

I’ve been coughing and all stuffed up myself for a week now.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Worth it! Especially when you are craving what your body needs 😁

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Find you an authentic Thai Restaurant and get the Chicken Tum-yum soup, you will thank me later.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I just looked it up and it also could be called Subgum Wonton soup.
I see it now on the menus of the places I get food from, I never knew what it was.
Soup with everything in it, looks damn good in the pictures.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Find you an authentic Thai Restaurant and get the Chicken Tum-yum soup, you will thank me later.

I second this and prefer it to wonton. Also pho from a good Vietnamese place does the trick, especially when paired with banh mi.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
I see it now on the menus of the places I get food from, I never knew what it was.

That is it, and it's exactly what the place we got in in the 70s called it, we have nothing out here LOL internet searches are trying to tell me Panda Express and PF Chang's have good Won Ton soup when I know it absolutely sucks. One or two candidates

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Another trick is getting shin ramen from Walmart or the grocery store and putting a splash of coconut milk. It’s incredibly good quality for instant ramen.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

That is it, and it's exactly what the place we got in in the 70s called it, we have nothing out here LOL internet searches are trying to tell me Panda Express and PF Chang's have good Won Ton soup when I know it absolutely sucks. One or two candidates

Panda Express and PF Changs are mediocre at best for Chinese food.
Had them both a couple times and I was not impressed at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Just a suggestion:

Learn to make it.

Your family and friends will worship you.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium

Oh, I definitely dig a good Thai restaurant and yes I good Tum-Yum is easier to find out here and we have also have a Tom Ka spicy chicken and coconut milk lemon grass soup which is excellent too. I'd live off that soup, Nam Tok if I could honestly well that and the Thai Beef Jerky.

We have a couple of OK Thai Restaurants but IF I do Thai I always miss the Thai Beef Jerky dish that's even more allusive than the Subgum Wor Wonton Soup.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I was engaged to a beautiful Korean lady who's mother is part owner... They have really good wonton soup.chencranberry.com...

A sample..
Vegetable Egg Roll - $3.50

Egg Roll - $3.50

Crab Rangoon (8) - $8.00

Spring Roll - $3.50 Pan-Fried Dumplings (6) - $9.00 Teriyaki Beef (4) - $10.00

Chicken Wings (8) - $10.50 Steamed Dumplings Shao Mai (6) - $9.00

Teriyaki Chicken (4) - $9.25 Sesame Cold Noodles - $8.25

Fried Wonton $7.50

Soups

Wonton Soup $3.50

Hot & Sour Soup - $3.50 Egg Flower Soup - $3.50

Chicken & Rice Soup (for two) - $9.00

Dasi waseo gamsa???

Edit: The prices have doubled, use to get a quart of Hot and Sour for $2.75 👍🤔
edit on 2-2-2023 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Get ye a big bowl of pho and make it extra spicy with extra sriracha and jalapenos!

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Panda Express and PF Changs are mediocre at best for Chinese food.
Had them both a couple times and I was not impressed at all.

Nope, they suck the best Chinese places always seem to be holes-in-the-wall type places, ones where you walk in and you don't know if you should be eating there or not, till you get your dishes.

Back in the 70s we got spoiled, my brother was friends with a guy from Peking in school whose family owned the best Chinese restaurant around and they spoiled us rotten.

they didn't have the Subgum Wor Wor Ton Soup either, we had to get that from their rival restaurant. IIRC they were from different regions

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Another trick is getting shin ramen from Walmart or the grocery store and putting a splash of coconut milk. It’s incredibly good quality for instant ramen.

Hell somebody here on ATS got me turned on to fortifying your plain ramen noodles, during COVID. I eat those all the time now they recommended adding Kim Chi and an egg, along with my Asian veggies. I know I like the Thai coconut soup I'll have to try the coconut milk with my ramen too.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Man, I checked their menu we don't have any place with all those diverse varieties of dishes like a good restaurant has. Too much of that Asian Fusion stuff which I do enjoy sometimes.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You stirred an old memory of mine.

During college I worked in a very high end Chinese restaurant. I packaged to go orders.
On the weekends were were slammed. Remember, this was not a hole in the wall type of place.

We had a giant vat of won tons in ice. Then we had a cauldron of hot broth.
When there was an order I tried to take the won tons out with a pair of tongs and they (the kitchen crew) laughed at me and told me to just jut my hand in there and grab one like a little slippery fishy. To this day I’ve never eaten restaurant won ton soup!
No we didn’t wash our hand in between. There wasn’t enough time.

The majority of workers were Chinese fresh off the boat.
The young guys would come up to me and profess that they were virgins. I don’t know if that is something that is openly bragged about over there or what. I’d always respond with congratulations, that ain’t changing 🤣

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

Get ye a big bowl of pho and make it extra spicy with extra sriracha and jalapenos!

Oh enjoy a good pho when I can find it, and I always have sriracha and garlic chili sauce around.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I have had bits of peking duck but my dream is to order a whole glorious one.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Just a suggestion:

Learn to make it.

Your family and friends will worship you.

Yep Ive done a decent facsimile of Hot and Sour soup, potstickers, and various stir fry before but Sub Gum Wor Wonton has so many components and it's just the 3 of us.

For the pork tenderloin, you literally have to roast the whole tenderloin in five spices and I want to say rice wine vinegar a little soy Hoison sauce and Im missing something else, as well as for authentic Chinese pork tenderloin you need to dye it red on the outside, though it's a royal pain in the arse and I usually skip that part. But its 40-45 minutes just getting that cooked and it needs to rest and then sliced and you still got all the other veggies and proteins to prepare,

They can't be thrown in and simmered they need to be added at the right time when they don't get mushy it's a bit of an art. I'm a decent enough chef who can prepare 3 or 4 dishes that are nice restaurant quality but I just don't get enough Wor Won Ton soup practice to have the skills. Ain't nothing more frustrating than spending a couple of hours prepping and cooking and it still not close to the 10 bucks a quart stuff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join