It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap/free web-hosting or a good host you recommend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Apparently, you can put up a simple web-page on IPFS for "free" - docs.ipfs.tech...-to-ipns

The technology is compelling enough for me to play around and learn something in an attempt to get a relatively basic website up.

I like Dreamhost, I like WPEngine though I wouldn't pay what WPEngine asks as my website doesn't need a fraction of it...

Cloudways has $100 free. I'm not sure if you can pay per use or if it's a minimum of $10/month... if per use, this could be a good bet.

Have a nice day to those who do and do not read this

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: livinglight108

I've been a Dreamhost customer for about 9 years, currently moving everything to A2.

Dreamhost IMAP support is terrible, and email access - when using IMAP., especially if you have large mailboxes - is extremely problematic - it often has to re-download all of the headers, which is very bad when you tens or hundreds of thousands of emails. It is also very slow.

I also looked at Bluehost, and experimented with both, but I've settled on A2. So far the email experience is hands down far better than Dreamhost ever was.

I've also moved all of my domain registrations to Cloudflare, cheapest anywhere, and it is very convenient using them, for both registrations AND DNS - and their DNS service is hands down the best, even of any paid offerings I've used...

Hopefully A2 won't go downhill, it is a major pain to migrate hundreds of thousands of emails on multiple mailboxes - which is the main reason I took so long to pull the trigger on switching from Dreamhost.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 02:09 PM
link   
namecheap has cheap vps hosting for $10 a month. that's what i use. you can also purchase a domain and hosting all at the same time as a package deal. i would personally avoid free hosting services because they are generally unreliable and inject ads into your website. they still have to make money some how.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: livinglight108

I've been with Bluehost since they started, no problems, always helpful. I've got 20+ sites hosted with them on a dedicated IP addy.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I recently moved my home webserver to a hosting service called Hostinger that allows up to 100 wordpress websites with one free domain name and multiple email accounts for 2.79 month. I have been pretty impressed so far. I just use the free wordpress themes and took the 48 month option so wouldn't be hit with higher renew fee's until 2027. I use my own domain names that I point to their servers. It was a pretty painless exercise.

Wordpress is simple as, once you get familiar with it.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I use Linode as a cloud/hosting solution. I run a few sites off of $5/month 'nanodes'. A little more on the setup side but very reliable and affordable and you can run a decently performant site with auto-scaling and stuff like that.
edit on 22-1-2023 by Attentionwandered because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Attentionwandered
I use Linode as a cloud/hosting solution. I run a few sites off of $5/month 'nanodes'. A little more on the setup side but very reliable and affordable and you can run a decently performant site with auto-scaling and stuff like that.

We used linode for a long time to host an old gentoo server running an ancient Apache/PHP/postgres application, never had a problem with it, performance was great. Recommended highly if you need that kind of hosting
edit on 25-1-2023 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2024 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Hi Hello niceto meet you!!!

new topics

top topics

join