It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why only Eggs and not Chicken?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

My spouse works in the industry. Yes the flu hit the female hen layers hard but it didn't hit the to be consumed chickens which are contained in as best as possible environment to prevent disease.

Currently, the chicken producers cant slow down production. For several months they continue to lose money. Why the price remains high is basic price fixing by all of the retailers.

I also know what the selling price per pound is so the sellers is. The sellers marked it up by ~ 400%.

I wonder if they were instructed to by the you who know in charge in Washington as its the same for much more food products. Take a look at the cost per a gallon of gas and diesel back in the Obama administration. Chicken is labor intensive to the extreme. Compare price on NON labor intensive products like pop, water, toilet paper, bread, that sort of stuff which is usually produced locally. AKA bottling plants.

Personally I believe that that WEF DAVOS fix is in on your you know who and hes just biden his time along with his make believe plausible deniability dementia escape card from prosecution.

edit on 20-1-2023 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 20-1-2023 by Waterglass because: add

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Eat more tuna!!!

Wait??…

Uh, never mind.

Cucumber sandwiches are pretty good too.

😂

ETA: check out the meme by googling, “he went to Kroger”, for a giggle!
edit on 20-1-2023 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: A funny!

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 09:22 PM
link   

We were talkin here yesterday. Lots of chicken in Middle Eastern Dearborn.....

Apparently, a chicken now here costs $7....and a Hen is $20-25.....

posted on Jan, 20 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   
In home flocks egg production drops in winter because of the lower amount of daylight....not because of feed. You can trick your hens into laying more in winter by supplementing a light in their coop on a timer to simulate longer summer daylight hours. Many think this is wrong to do because it doesn't give them the natural rest cycle. Fall ,and sometimes winter, is also the time that they molt or shed and grow new feathers. They tend to not lay while in this process.

Commercial laying hens are kept under lights and are forced to molt by purposefully stressing them...by withholding food for up to 3 weeks. This causes them to lose their feathers and restart egg production at which point they lay bigger eggs. As you might imagine, this is controversial.

Chickens are one of those animals that are addictive. They are fun to watch. They have their own communication style and flock order. I paid $20 each for Sapphire Gem pullets last year that were ready to start laying. It's sometimes worth that for the feed and trouble of someone else raising them for 5 months. If I add any more this year I'm going to find a broody hen and try to trick her with some chicks from the farm store. I do like when they grow up under a hen as they tend to be better foragers and less attached to humans. We made the mistake of brooding some Buckeyes in the house one year and they forever tried to sleep on the outside our bedroom wall and stayed up on the porch creating landmines of poop everywhere. Never again!

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneyAbout
In home flocks egg production drops in winter because of the lower amount of daylight....not because of feed. You can trick your hens into laying more in winter by supplementing a light in their coop on a timer to simulate longer summer daylight hours. Many think this is wrong to do because it doesn't give them the natural rest cycle. Fall ,and sometimes winter, is also the time that they molt or shed and grow new feathers. They tend to not lay while in this process.

Commercial laying hens are kept under lights and are forced to molt by purposefully stressing them...by withholding food for up to 3 weeks. This causes them to lose their feathers and restart egg production at which point they lay bigger eggs. As you might imagine, this is controversial.

Chickens are one of those animals that are addictive. They are fun to watch. They have their own communication style and flock order. I paid $20 each for Sapphire Gem pullets last year that were ready to start laying. It's sometimes worth that for the feed and trouble of someone else raising them for 5 months. If I add any more this year I'm going to find a broody hen and try to trick her with some chicks from the farm store. I do like when they grow up under a hen as they tend to be better foragers and less attached to humans. We made the mistake of brooding some Buckeyes in the house one year and they forever tried to sleep on the outside our bedroom wall and stayed up on the porch creating landmines of poop everywhere. Never again!

Speaking of lights.

When I bought my Ring-Necked Pheasants I wasn't aware that you had to have a red light on in their coop at all times. If they see a red spot on another pheasant (like blood), they'll peck it to death.

My first day, I walked in the coop with a red plaid coat on...yea, not good, they freaked out...and came at me...lmao

Adventures...good times...

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneyAbout

The light actually makes sense. I keep a light on the front porch near where they roost all night, mainly to keep predators away (or at least let me see them so I can aim). That may well be why they haven't stopped laying this winter.

Using a small LED bulb makes that practical. If I was using incandescent, I couldn't afford it.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 21 2023 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I believe you live in the south. Tons of bugs there. I noticed a big difference between free range, and grain fed chicken eggs. Our free range kept the ugly insect population down, the yolks were a rich orangish yellow while the store egg yolks were a light yellow and not as rich. However the taste of the two cooked I could not tell a difference.

Our chickens here in the high desert don’t get the bugs I wished they could get, like in the south.

posted on Jan, 22 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Oh, man, I can tell a major difference in the taste. I'm fond of telling people when I give them a dozen, "Eat these and you'll throw rocks at those things in the store." So far no one has come back and said otherwise; they usually tell me later how right I was.

We do have a lot of bugs... I started keeping chickens some years back. We had an infestation of ticks, to the point where every time we walked outside, even for a few minutes, we would immediately go to the bathroom, strip, and pull off ticks. My stepfather was alive at the time and he tried burning, poisons, pesticides, commercial services... nothing would get rid of the ticks. I finally decided to get some chickens, and by early fall there wasn't a tick to be found.

Since then we've noticed that we have almost no garden spiders, very few spiders of any kind, and a lot less mosquitoes (although I credit that with something else). And remember, I live not just in the Deep South, but along the edge of a small mountain range. This is where bugs come from! I was about to put in landing strips for the skeeters at one point to stop them from rutting up my yard when they came in for a landing!

It's really awesome to see... sometimes they'll actually form a line and just start mowing across the yard, eating everything in their path. You can actually see grasshoppers and crickets scattering in front of them. Perfect pest control and free eggs to boot.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join