It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reminisce with me about McDonald’s

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: putnam6

I don't know what they have done to the milkshakes and ice cream but it was disgusting too.

I don’t think it’s dairy. I remember one of my kids getting one and it melting into an oil substance. Gross!

Notice they've called them "Shakes" and not 'Milk' Shakes.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

I have a little place down the road from me that makes 'em and fills them fresh to order every day.

You know a place is good when they opened and boomed mid-pandemic.

edit on 13-1-2023 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Creep Thumper

I have a little place down the road from me that makes 'em and fills them fresh to order every day.

You know a place is good when they opened and boomed mid-pandemic.

You. Are. Killing. Me.

The big chains don't use real jelly anymore.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I remember when I was 9 years old, this is 40 years ago, I use to go to church on the odd occasion because my best friends dad was the minister. Now I come from a non religious family and anti McDonald's family. I use to go cos friends dad was the minister and they would have a huge feed after church. Her big brother use to work at McDonald's and every Sunday would bring home heaps of apple turn over things home, so I would get to eat them.
That is my memory of McDonald's, that and doing the loudest fart in my friends church while sitting on the uncomfortable wooden church benches.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It was once rumoured that the shakes were made with chicken fat. Have not eaten McDonald's in 35 years.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cloudbuster
It was once rumoured that the shakes were made with chicken fat. Have not eaten McDonald's in 35 years.

I've heard the 'Shakes' were made with actual sawdust and cardboard.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: Cloudbuster

I've heard the 'Shakes' were made with actual sawdust and cardboard.

Sorry, that is not sawdust....but look on the bright side, at least you are used to bug protein already.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I remember the good apple pies from when I was a kid. They would be so hot you'd burn yourself if you rushed. Wouldn't eat them now as the last one I had, about ten years ago, was soggy and way too sweet.

Only ever ate macd's when I was travelling and there was nothing else open. It was a step up from 7/11 hot dogs. Stopped eating there for the most part decades ago when I bought burgers for my dogs a couple times and they wouldn't eat them. If dogs wouldn't touch them it's very telling.

Prefer A@W for the rare fast food.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I recall the one Christmas Day

Get to the pub just after noon.

But they were like, if you didn't pay in advance for the Christmas-buffet, you must bugger off.

So where can we go - what's open?

Praise Jah for McDonalds!

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I got burned out on this "M" place when I was a wee little kid back in the late-1960s and early 1970s. The ONLY time we would get to go to the ("M") place was when we were travelling. Invariably, I would ask for a hamburger without onions on it and by the time we had left the drive-through, got back on the road and I got to check it, there were always onions on it. I haven't liked them since. Plus, I never go there anymore.

That's my only reminisce of.... that place.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The gents though - now how should I put it?

Like when kids pee in the municipal pool, just there's no water.
edit on 13-1-2023 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Haven't been to Mc Donalds in ages. I do like a Culvers once in a while. I used to like their sausage egg Mc Muffins, but the last one I had I think was made of rubber.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

Haven't been to Mc Donalds in ages. I do like a Culvers once in a while. I used to like their sausage egg Mc Muffins, but the last one I had I think was made of rubber.

Culver’s is my go to when I’m craving a greasy burger and fries (not very often)
When I worked close to one, I would go quite often but not for burgers, I would get their beef stew. It was excellent!
Not sure if they still have it.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:43 PM
link   

When they started selling soft ice cream, we'd get ice cream and one of those apple pies and eat them together.

Oh, heavenly.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that there was a time when McDonald's, though not gourmet, was not bad and did have some upsides.

My most vivid memory of McDonalds was once when my parents wanted to take us out to eat and kids wanted to go to McDonald's. I went across the street to Burger King and got me a Whopper (back when those were still decent) and ate my BK at the McD table with my kids' happy meals.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Yes, the lard came in large 5 gallon tubes at the time. They were much larger then todays crap and the apples were crip also.
The crust back then was crispy. Todays crust is crispy but has a weird oily taste to it. If you order one, have them cook it fresh, you don't want one that is heated for 7 minutes or longer. Horrible. Like eating bacon fat.

I don’t do Mcdonalds anymore. Starting a few years back, a little before covid I just can’t get past the taste.
(Im a super smeller/taster)
I had the hash brown in the breakfast and it tasted like 100% chemicals to me. The burgers….oh my goodness, is that even meat anymore? I just can’t. Don’t even start me on the “chicken” nuggets.

Years ago we travelled a bit as a family. I loved to get b'fast at McD's. Their big breakfast was quite tasty and the biscuits (especially with a sausage patty) were da bomb. That with a cup of hot black coffee and I was set.

Then, maybe 15 years ago, it started to taste like warmed over crap. I thought at first that maybe I was just getting crochity and demanding in my approaching old age. Then I realized that, no, it was actually all going to crap.

I can always make food better and cheaper at home now.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Haven't been to Mickey D's in years...but those apple pie things used to burn the roof of my mouth.
It was still worth it, though.

My old friend from grade school had a chef dad.. and we
sniped a meat thermometer (old school dial).
1st stab, it was still over 250 n the PARKING LOT.
If I could make house insulation as good as that pie crust now,
I'd be rich. Or deader than Koendig.
Good pie if your taste buds grow back...

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 04:02 PM
link   

We are seeing history repeat itself.

People won’t go out to eat because they can make it cheaper and better at home, and also just can’t afford it anymore.

Then restaurants will cater to the rich.

Then things will get back to “normal” but people will demand something for their money and the restaurants that cater to that will be wildly successful and others will follow.

Wash-Rinse-Repeat

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 04:08 PM
link   
The best thing they had was the hot n spicy. But just like getting rid of the real ingredients they also ditched the hot n spicy. Plus there toys back in the day were so much better. I told my kids the playgrounds at Mcds were made out of railroad logs and tires.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Especially in rural Asia, flip it's a McDonald's.

Refreshment awaits.

posted on Jan, 13 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: franklen
Do they still have the apple pies? But boy oh boy back in the day they were hot. I remember the little stamped metal ashtrays on some tables... Yes you could smoke in McDonalds. Don't eat much of any of that anymore. We have an older gentleman that comes into our metal fab shop periodically for some trinket or part repaired, he owns some Burger Kings and always leaves a coupon for a free whopper, they float around awhile before being thrown away.

I also remember Ponderosa, having very long picnic like tables, a gun fight mural on the wall and getting your food on a sizzling platter set upon a wooden tray.

I had Burger King 26 years ago while visiting relatives. I got the worst of the worst food poisoning.
They say everyone always knows where they get food poisoning from and I sure did.
When I got the burger I told my mom it was soooo dry. I suspect now it had been really old, possibly left out for days.
I was so sick and weak and had to literally lay in the bathtub for a day.
After that I didn’t eat Burger King for years and years and years. Then one of my kids wanted to try it and we went, and I realized not much had changed. I didn’t get sick, but the food was subpar to me.

We don't have Burger King or McDonald's unless perhaps a coupon comes out, but maybe only once or twice a year.
We used to order from our local Chinese takeout once a month or two, my husband usually had the pepper steak and onions or chicken, I would order the shrimp and broccoli, always loved shrimp.
I ended up with a horrible case of food poisoning, never had that before or since, never felt so ill in my life! LOL
And I have not touched a shrimp from that day on, my husband felt fine, it was probably just one bad shrimp in that meal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join