It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Property Rights This is crazy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Socks for the landlords, but I am sure that they can claim nice fat business expense losses on their tax returns come year end.

And property values being what they are in Socal (I live in northern California, and my property has quadrupled in value over the last decade), they could always sell out to an eager developer.

Allowing "sqatters" to remain in a dwelling, instead of evicting them, means that there are that many fewer people living on the street as part of the homeless population; with all of the problems associated with homelessness impacting city/County government compounded.

So it boils down to whether some property owners "take it in the shorts" (unless they sell their properties), or the public at large is forced to confront even more of the homeless sleeping on the streets and sh**ting on the sidewalks.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It won't get anywhere.

Trump did the same thing, nationally via EO.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021
Allowing "sqatters" to remain in a dwelling, instead of evicting them, means that there are that many fewer people living on the street as part of the homeless population...

No developer will invest in more housing if tenants are allowed to not pay rent. Which means no more housing will be constructed, even though the population will continue to grow. So homelessness will get worse, not better, under these rules.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

its raccist to admit people get sh0t in chicago.
blak liives matta yo. on mtv they do.
in chicago, slow your roll...

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Thats an eyeopener alright..

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   
squatters are easy to deal with just go hands on and remove them. they have no legal right to be there.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Here in NJ, a landlord must hire an attorney and take the tenant to court, in order to evict them.
I hear it takes a minimum of six months, probably longer now because courts are so backed up.
One neighbor told me it cost her $10,000 and more than six months to get rid of her non-paying tenant.
Almost impossible to get rid of the drug dealers!

edit on 30-12-2022 by RonnieJersey because: add something

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: bubbabilly
squatters are easy to deal with just go hands on and remove them. they have no legal right to be there.

If they're illegals, the law will do nothing to them.
An illegal with no license and no insurance hit our parked vehicle, he walked away and we were stuck with the bill of many thousands to repair it.
The cops told us 'we don't do anything to them'.
Yet an American Citizen will be automatically arrested and sent to county jail for driving with no license and no registration.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego

originally posted by: Mantiss2021
Allowing "sqatters" to remain in a dwelling, instead of evicting them, means that there are that many fewer people living on the street as part of the homeless population...

No developer will invest in more housing if tenants are allowed to not pay rent. Which means no more housing will be constructed, even though the population will continue to grow. So homelessness will get worse, not better, under these rules.

Who said anything about "housing"?.

Apartments can be torn down for new developments. The land, itself, has value; value above what it would be producing with squatters.

Of course, such developments would not contribute to the solution of the homelessness problem (and would, also, likely exacerbate the problem),

But nobody seems all that eager to make any real progress towards helping the homeless (or soon-to-be homeless), so what difference would it make?

At least the landlords and developers would get paid.

/sarc
edit on 30-12-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   
thats why i say I go hands on.
a reply to: RonnieJersey

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: bubbabilly
thats why i say I go hands on.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   

My buddies know a few good guys in NY that will exterminate the cockroaches…cheap.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 38181

My buddies know a few good guys in NY that will exterminate the cockroaches…cheap.

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I dont think they want more people camping out at San Pedro and 5th, enough tents already. Or in Venice everywhere. Or several spots in between. Lots of freeways to horde trash under.

People lost their asses. After the rent moratorium of 18 months plus ended people had to settle their balances. And not everyone got the state funding on time, or actually thought they wouldn't owe it and never planned.

Then Landlords were cleared to raise rent, and several did the past half year. Some up to as much as 30%, to make up for two years of lost rent raising. Buildings/complexes WITH low income residents were allowed to exceed 10% twice over. Statewide.

www.nbcbayarea.com...

Best comment I heard was, "So does my 800 dollar increase in rent also include the syringes left on the sidewalk by the door?" That was a 10% building.

It's less painful to think in terms of per square foot. Just say, "My rent went up to 7$ per square foot" or "if this apartment was a condo it be worth $750,000!"

Cheapest rent you're likely to find if you're low income and Section 8 in any coastal California area (SF, LA, SD) is about 700/month for a 115 square foot room thats shower is down the hall. If you can't prove you make under 36k a year, it's about 900/month. In LA and SD anyway, that room is 1700 in San Fransisco if you're lucky.

And they don't have to rent to you if you have a previous eviction. Even low income buildings.

So I'm guessing this is to help the homeless problem.

But yeah, that just reeks of communism... especially if you look for reasons to throw wooden nickels at the altar of California.
edit on 30-12-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I'm moving to LA so I can finally get my pet tiger!

posted on Dec, 30 2022 @ 11:28 PM
link   
They are trying to put private landlords out of business I suppose. That way the state will be the only landlords and the contractors who give donations to the right party will get the job fixing up and building new buildings. The taxpayers will foot the bills for the tenants damages in state run facilities.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Less diplomatic answer.

Oh those poor landlords!

This is a riot. It's not political discussion as much as it is an excuse to complain about my state again. Our rents must be so expensive they also rent space in the rest of the country's head as well.

But now folks are up in arms for the poor property managers?

Both annoying and hilarious.

Do you all support our lefist landlords too? Chinese? Korean? Armenian? Or all the Spanish speaking ones that hire only Spanish speaking staff (many of which at one point undocumentated) to clean the hallways, fix the appliances, and do landscaping?

Or all the management companies with better lawyers than 95% of people who took advantage of the pandemic?

This is a false issue. A reason to be angry. After 32 months of eviction moratorium LA county's 33rd month is not going to kill any property managers, just delay the eviction/collection.

Can people be honest and just admit they need a scapegoat or persistent devil to be the bane of their existence?
edit on 31-12-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

It's not political discussion as much as it is an excuse to complain about my state again.

No, it's more than that.

You see, the rest of us have watched most of our lives while California messed in their own bed. And hey, that's fine as long as it's your bed. But Californians have demonstrated this crazy tendency to mess in our bed as well. That's not fine.

Let's talk supply chain issues... that's not just California. That is affecting everyone. But where is the real problem coming from? California. You see Los Angeles is the major shipping hub for freight coming in from overseas, especially from Asia where most of our imports are coming from. That freight needs trucks to deliver it to the rest of the country. But California does not like trucks! California worked tirelessly to turn all semis into private little energy factories using the DEF system now on all diesel vehicles. It's only required in California, but freight lines go to California... so that restriction means a driver must either give up those California routes and pay big bucks to have that DEF system removed from their trucks, or they get to go to California on the rare instances where the damn thing doesn't break down!

Get caught driving a truck in California without DEF working, and the truck is impounded until it can be repaired by a California repair shop... it cannot even be towed to another state! Thousands of drivers have lost their truck, which is their livelihood itself, to California because they didn't want to sit in a cold motel room for months at a time a few times a year waiting on road repairs.

And of course, the parts needed to keep those DEF systems in repair are becoming scarce... there's plenty of them, but they're sitting in containers in Los Angeles waiting on trucks to deliver them... trucks which cannot operate without them in the first place.

Let's go back a little farther with the eco-idiocy. Remember acid rain? Know where it came from? California pioneered development of the catalytic converter. One of its purposes is to remove sulfur from the exhaust. Before the new (higher-priced) low-sulfur fuels came out, the catalytic converters would fill up with sulfur and start pumping large quantities into the air because they were full. That's sulfur dioxide, not sulfuric acid, but guess what it takes to turn sulfur dioxide into sulfuric acid? Water, oxygen, and energy (like sunlight). Guess where all those things exist in abundance? The atmosphere! So now we get sulfuric acid dissolved in rain water, aka "acid rain," mandated by law that California helped pass for the entire nation. And that air over LA that was now acidic? Guess what: it's not your air! It moves over other states as well! Thank you, California, for destroying vast stretches of virgin forest while trying to "save" it.

Oh, and let's talk about driver safety since we're talking transportation... I've been to California many times in a truck. I hated it! Why? Because I was miserable most of the time I was there! You see, California has a "no-idle" policy for trucks... which equates to a "no heat, no cooling, no power" policy for truckers. We get to camp out, literally Neanderthal style, when we're supposed to be getting rest so we can drive those 40-ton bullets safely tomorrow. But no... California can't allow that! Ever tried to sleep in an enclosed box when the temperature is in the 90s? Here's a hint: one wakes up, drenched in sweat, dehydrated, fatigued, and now gets to operate heavy equipment. What could go wrong?

Oh, and let's talk about your speed limits... 55 mph for trucks, but 70 mph for everyone else! Sure, what could go wrong? Let's tick off all the bad drivers by making the professional drivers drive way slower than them... what could possibly go wrong with that? Just the four-wheelers getting overly aggressive and trying to drive under my wheels, that's what.

Let's not even get into the time when California tried to outlaw CB radios... the devices the terminals use to tell us where to go and when the load is ready.

But hey, even Californians get fed up with all the BS out there... and when they do, they move! OK, no problem... don't blame them. But when they move, they first drive real estate prices through the roof because they cannot comprehend that $200,000,000,000 is too much to pay for a house that actually costs $60,000 elsewhere. Now the indigenous people who live where the Californians moved to can't afford to buy a home in their own area anymore.

Then they set about busily admonishing everyone in sight for not doing things the "California way." They want all those backfiring, insanity-driven rules and restrictions that caused them to leave in the first place implemented in their new home. Soon enough, they've turned nice, peaceful places into more of the cesspool they escaped from.

And I've just gotten started. How about your generous gift of the drunken lush sitting two heartbeats away from the US Presidency?

California is not a scapegoat. California is a CANCER! If you want people to stop talking bad about California, stop messing across the entire nation.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
Less diplomatic answer.

Do you all support our lefist landlords too? Chinese? Korean? Armenian? Or all the Spanish speaking ones that hire only Spanish speaking staff (many of which at one point undocumentated) to clean the hallways, fix the appliances, and do landscaping?

Can people be honest and just admit they need a scapegoat or persistent devil to be the bane of their existence?

I'm glad you brought that up, because it is becoming impossible to find employment here, unless I speak Spanish.
I just find that outrageous, as an American English-speaking Citizen.
When just a few years ago, English was the required language if you were a job seeker.
In just two years, everything has turned upside down - to the advantage of one side, and it's not the American side.

posted on Dec, 31 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I am not going to argue that. Not a trucker.

I knew there was a 16 page guide explaining our "Clean Air" laws for heavy duty vehicles but I can't imagine having to drive the 10 to the Port of Los Angeles in rush hour without being able to idle. That's up to 4 hours depending on traffic.

I'm not gonna lie, the trucking industry is object impermanence unless the Amazon truck catches fire and destroys my packages.

That's really selfish, but the mindset is not immediately empathetic for the blue collar. That really is overlooked.

There is less smog now. When i visited family in LA as a young kid (80's) you couldn't see US Bank building from Western. Since the clean air carbon emission laws went in those days are reduced by a factor of 40. Even with 6+ million more people it the LA area since the worst years of the 80's.

1985 seems to be the year. The year the "acid rain" of LA vehicle emission smog was most harmful beyond its borders. And the year our emission laws (or lack thereof) did the most direct harm.

www.latimes.com...

Since then.

1981 - Good Air Days: 4 Very Unhealthy: 160
1986 - 7/140
1991 - 16/85
1996 - 42/32
2001 - 20/11
2006 - 61/11

California starts getting really strict on emissions here.

2011 - 17/3
2016 - 32/4
2021 - 41/1

That's all that's cared about. And now it's going to try to eliminate diesel trucks all together. Electric everything of ways are had.

California smog (laws) only hurts people indirectly through all things regulatory and earth friendly now. So the states influence is likely coming after all forms of internal combustion now. By 2024 here.

The cancer needs receptive cells in other places of the country to spread. And people that want to reduce smog adopt California emission standards.

The problem seems to be other states see what California does and follows suit.

I like looking at my states influence like this: It attempts to replace the American dream from within. All the leaves really are brown. It's the "manifest destiny" within the manifest destiny. Where USA was once thought to be "chosen by god", California was chosen by "Earth Mother Faerie Something", to lead the world to become transhuman ultra healthy Acai Bowl eating carbon neutral Vegans.

South Park simplified and nailed It. We replaced our smog with smug. And like George Clooney's referenced speech we think we are leading the world doing it.

edit on 31-12-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join