It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

star link.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:27 PM
link   
i don't know where to put this.

i guess musk sent 2 rockets
with star links from both coasts today.

ok,

but what i want to know is how to tap into the starlink?

how does it work?

is it permission from elon or the country's govt?

is it free?
if it's been answered in ats,
can someone post a link?

thanks and merry christmas to all.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

You sign up for the service just like any other internet service. They charge you a few hundred for the dish; they ship it, and you install it. Once you've got it, plug it up, set up the network, and you're good to go.

I would recommend that if you want to get in on it, know that it's not 100% stable at this point, and I've had it for almost two years as a backup. The slightest obstruction (a tree I can't remove) can cause visibility issues with the dish. If that's the case, you'll drop out every few seconds.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Starlink sign up

ORDER STARLINK
High-speed, low-latency broadband internet in remote and rural locations across the globe. $110/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

Starlink + World Cup. Learn more.

Pretty spendy, but Xfinity is higher which I have.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Does star link cover all the way around earth or does it cut out when the shoo shoo train is on the other side ?

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

At any given time, I have six satellites in view of my dish. However, I don't believe they have the point-to-point laser connections enabled yet. They currently require a ground station to relay the signal, which in that case, you can run into obstruction issues regardless of how many satellites are above you.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital
i don't know where to put this.

ok,

but what i want to know is how to tap into the starlink?

how does it work?

is it permission from elon or the country's govt?

is it free?
if it's been answered in ats,
can someone post a link?

thanks and merry christmas to all.

It isn't a free Internet service. Space has cost Musk a lot and he (fairly) wants to recoup those costs.

I have used Starlink for several months (due to my rural location) and find it better than VDSL, but not as good as fiber.

You pay an initial cost for the dish and the router (I purchased an additional extender and RJ45 wired adaptor) and then you pay for each period of internet access. There doesn't appear to be a data cap.

I have had a few drop-outs, mainly during storms (weather-fade), but all in all, it has been reliable. My dish is mounted high so there's no chance of obstructions from trees etc.

One thing to note, though, is that the throughput that the app tells you you are getting, is significantly above what you are getting in Internet throughput. Perhaps they are spying on us, and collecting all sorts of metadata, like the mobile phone companies do? LOL.

edit on 16/12/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   

least in central alaska right now its a bust, local ISP are still out preforming them on most metrics.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Does star link cover all the way around earth or does it cut out when the shoo shoo train is on the other side ?

The full system requires 42,000 satellites.
There are currently 3200 in orbit today.

That’s not a misprint… it’s 42,000..

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 06:21 PM
link   
ok,
great info people,
thank you very much!

i'll look into the sign up link.

@ no corruption allowed.

i got 1 dish already for local tv which seems to need a line of sight to towers
but if the dish is pointed up to sats, it shouldn't be a prob for me.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Two rockets launched, but neither was supporting Starlink. This morning, from Vandenburg, was the NASA mission SWOT. Today, from KSC, was the communication satellite O3b mPOWER for the company SES.

The last Starlink from Vandenburg was 27 Oct and the last from KSC was 20 Oct. There is one tomorrow, 17 Dec, scheduled from KSC. There are several more scheduled from each location in the next coming months.

Just being pedantic.
edit on 12/16/2022 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing typo.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
Starlink sign up

ORDER STARLINK
High-speed, low-latency broadband internet in remote and rural locations across the globe. $110/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

Wow, that is not reasonable pricing. Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere and there are no other services.

My Xfinity is $60/month.

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Not gonna lie aren't some astronomers already getting pissy at all the Starlink satellites already up, and there needs to 39,000 more for the system to be complete?

sounds terribly inefficient

posted on Dec, 16 2022 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Starlink sign up

ORDER STARLINK

Wow, that is not reasonable pricing. Maybe if you live in the middle of nowhere and there are no other services.

My Xfinity is $60/month.

Yeah I should renegotiate my internet package. I checked again and it's $125 a month for 1.8 Gbit or something like that, it's the fastest speed in my area, which I really don't need that much speed.

PS the Xfinity hotspot WIFI thing is terrible because it's spotty connection when not at home, (not needed at home but at work would be nice) so must always use mobile data which isn't unlimited. I think they could do much better to offer customers.

Starlink is actually pretty impressive for what it's potential is, (when it's completed or built upon).

edit on 16-12-2022 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: edit

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I hadn't thought much of it...but once I actually saw it with night vision, I felt sick to my stomach. We are only just beginning to learn how migratory birds, mammals, and insects use the stars to navigate, mate, find food, etc. It is amazing that one person is allowed to make such drastic changes with no research into the impact it could have on the world. It's the same feeling I got when I visited the Sequoias and looked at the old pics of them being felled by loggers. Sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2022 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Here's a link to the sight locally as Starlink passes over:

Starlink

It was a pretty neat sight and quite a hit on the local news as everyone was reporting the "strange" sighting!!!

edit on 17-12-2022 by jerryznv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Starlink sign up

ORDER STARLINK

Free, for now, if you move to Ukraine.

mashable.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2022 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid

Two rockets launched, but neither was supporting Starlink. This morning, from Vandenburg, was the NASA mission SWOT. Today, from KSC, was the communication satellite O3b mPOWER for the company SES.

The last Starlink from Vandenburg was 27 Oct and the last from KSC was 20 Oct. There is one tomorrow, 17 Dec, scheduled from KSC. There are several more scheduled from each location in the next coming months.

Just being pedantic.

ok,

i just assumed,
i guess.
lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2022 @ 10:30 AM
link   

It's a fair assumption. SpaceX will finish the year out with about sixty launches this year, with a bit more than half of those being in support of Starlink missions.

join