It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question regarding an old program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Acrobat.

I'll start by admitting that I am old.

Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I purchased Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Professional...

Now I need the functionality that that program offered to snag a webpage and put it into pdf format.

I have recently discovered that my money has gone the way of the either and my license may well not exist.

Is there anything out there with similar functionality (hopefully open source)? It's not that I am stingy, just not rich enough to afford a monthly payment for a program I use infrequently.

Any suggestions?
edit on 11/29/2022 by Maxmars because: spelling

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Top 10 Adobe Acrobat Alternatives & Competitors
There is a list for you .
I cannot vouch for any as I don't use pdf files .

I do remember using PDF-XChange Editor once upon a time for a "light" project .

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Usually I just use the browser function to "save as" a PDF. The quality of what is saved isn't always great, but I usually am only doing it for the text rather than the graphic portions.

The alternative, which may also give less than ideal results, is using a program that prints to a PDF. In the past I used Cutepdf to do that. I don't endorse it as I've not downloaded it in a long time, but it wasn't problematic when using it previously.

If you do use a print to PDF program you can then select print in your browser, switch to the Cutepdf as the output, and it will save as a PDF where you tell it to.
edit on 11/29/22 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The Chrome browser can do this, so its likely many of the Chrome based alternatives can do this also.

How To Save a Webpage as a PDF in Chrome
Open the page you'd like to keep.
On the top left-hand corner, click File > Print.
Alternatively, press Ctrl + P (Windows) or Cmd + P (Mac)
Under the 'Destination' section, click Change... > Save as PDF.
Click the 'Save' button, pick the name and location for your PDF.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:34 PM
link   

PDF_Xchange is cheap and works well. I have clinets working with large construction drawings on PDF and like it better than Adobe.

But you can get a 2 week free trial of Adobe acrobat pro. Just remember to cancel it before they charge your card.

www.tracker-software.com... (54$ option is fine)

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Try typing in GNU PDF Creator in any search engine.

I use Open Office when I need to do things PDF related. And thats on the windows 7 machine (It's an older version from 2019 that seems to work well).

PdfForge is another alternative to Acrobat .... and finally there's a website called Old Versions that has probably the most extensive collection of 'True-Apps' I've seen (this does not include pirated websites).

Wishing you success,
Johnny

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm going through all the stuff you have provided...

To make clear what I enjoyed about the old Acrobat Pro 6 was the ability to "open" a webpage, and once there could drill through the links on the page and have those accumulated in the pdf before saving. So I could end up with a pdf that includes whatever I 'browsed' through into one file. I'm not keen on find page, save as... or find page save... clink link save...

I'll let you all know as soon as I can do this - I just hate installing five different programs and using them all to find the one I feel most comfortable with... especially when so much crap-ware and marketing refuse is dropped into my system... granted I guess the multiple program loading could take place in a virtual machine... but that's just more work to meet a requirement for one project which won't happen again for many weeks or months or even years.

But, hey .. thanks for a starting point everyone.

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
.....especially when so much crap-ware and marketing refuse is dropped into my system...

Thats why I suggested Open Source/GNU. It's direct from the creators/authors. Just the program, nothing else.

Johnny

posted on Nov, 29 2022 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I looked at that and it appeared to be Linux-distro specific... I'll have to check again.

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Hey, I want to ask a question. Ik I can ask separately but It's urgent. Is it true that all Participant database modifications must employ Pessimistic Locking because of Two-Phase Commit?

I'm talking about the application of 2PC to heterogeneous distributed transactions. Assume I want to write to both databases A and B at the same time. Now, reads and writes to databases A and B might come from numerous concurrent users. In a high throughput scenario, we'd want A and B to employ Optimistic Locking (row versioning, for example) rather than Pessimistic Locking to avoid blocking high-volume concurrent read-only operations.

But, as this article says if A and B are both participants in a 2PC protocol as a whole, does that imply that they MUST employ Lock throughout each of their PREPARE phases for those relevant data changes? And basically, need to retain that lock till the COMMIT is completed? Because each transaction is forced to be divided into two halves, and you simply can't do "prepare to write a value that I read now is the most up-to-date value" because when you commit it later, it might very well be modified if the resource isn't locked.

Does this indicate that in distributed transaction setups with numerous databases, each database's concurrent throughput will be constrained merely because they must cooperate with other databases, even though they could have employed Optimistic Locking on their own?

posted on Dec, 14 2022 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Mobo01

I would like to help you... but I am no DBMS expert

Might this have some useful information for you, or is it too basic?

medium.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2023 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Thanks, for the help but It's not what I'm looking for. Also, I don't think this required an expert. I'm simply confused about what to do in this step.
May you use the constraint to create a limit such that one member (clen) can only play for one club (klub)? This does not occur, for example, id member = 1 && id club = 1;...., id member = 1 && id club = 2; What I have does not appear to be totally appropriate in this situation, and it occurs to me that it does not address the problem.
Is it possible to address this using integrity restrictions in the generated script, or do triggers have to be used? My generate script includes myself.
I've been attempting to get through since reading this post that indicated I didn't need it since id member is PK of member and there is only one record with id member = 1 and it is not possible to have id club = 1 and = 2 for id member = 1 at the same time. This is true for any id member. Is that right?

top topics

join