It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Guy Just Threw the Senate Election Into Chaos From His Basement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:13 PM
link   
When you think about it, this probably is a good thing, perhaps we need to add the 2nd and 3rd choice to our elections like I believe Alaska does. As well as cap spending and decrease that threshold of 50% because now virtually every 3rd part candidate could force an expensive and delaying runoff

on a side note, Warnock and Walker spent a quarter billion that crazy in itself

www.vice.com...

Yes, he knows a lot of people are now frustrated that, by scoring 2 percent of the Senate vote in Georgia, he may have just kept Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock or GOP candidate Herschel Walker from the 50 percent threshold needed to win, forcing a runoff on Dec. 6. Because Senate control now hangs on three uncalled toss-up states—Georgia, Arizona, and Nevada—the runoff he helped cause could be the whole shebang.

For Oliver, who supports gun rights, legal weed, access to abortion, and immigration reform—and who detests America’s two-party duopoly—this runoff smells like sweet success.

“I knew when I started this campaign, I wanted to force a runoff to force these issues, and I think I succeeded,” Oliver told VICE News in an interview on Wednesday morning, as votes were still being counted. “Could I have done better? Absolutely. But I think I did very well, all things considered.”

It’s hard to overstate how outgunned Oliver’s DIY campaign was, considering its tectonic impact. His mainstream opponents spent almost a quarter-billion dollars blanketing Georgia’s airwaves with attack ads and driving their supporters to the polls. Millions of dollars flooded their accounts from New York, California, Texas, and Florida.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Libertarians they just can’t help themselves what they really are are anarchist this guy is a straight up anarchist everything about him says anarchist not libertarian. It’s a fine line I understand between libertarian and anarchist but this guy across the line I think.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I highly doubt that.

Excuse my pessimism, but sweet sh#t all will come from it.

No F's given.
edit on 11/9/2022 by MykeNukem because: sp.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Good for him.

I wish more people would get involved.
The two party system is broken. Money buys the vote.

And seen yesterday, at least in MI., BS fear campaigns rule the day.

We are screwed, if we don't grow a set.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Good for him.

Here's the problem we have known about these issues since Ross Perot, a 3rd party siphons off enough votes from one candidate assuring the other candidate wins. While sometimes it's unintentional, one could easily see where one with the right financing and planning could probably screw up a lot of elections.

I mean gun rights and legal cannabis talk about siphoning from both parties... tailor-made to muck up a 50% threshold election.

We spend too much and it takes too long for us to not have a clearcut winner twice now in the Senate race. Somebody is making bank off of this, both on the front end and the back end

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:49 PM
link   
ranked choice is a terrible idea, it was instituted in alaska purely to keep murkowski in power or she never would have made it out of the primaries.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If, in what is a predominantly two-party monopoly system, success can only be measured by a simple victory at the polls; this may be the only way to register political legitimacy. Sad that.

"Politics" as we experience it via the modern circus and media theater is not what it is supposed to be. Increasingly, it is a game. A game with an outcome measurable in currencies, and body counts. This politician is saying "I meant to do that." I've heard that before. I think in a Pee Wee Herman movie.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yes. That is one of the craziest voting schemes there it.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Vote fraud and ballot harvesting rules the day

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The system is Broken end of story.

We all know what needs to happen but this is the internet and I don't fancy a visit from the FBI .

But until what ever happens .. happens we will continue to see clown elections like this.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Are anarchists supposed to be bad, or something? I actually think that philosophy could lead to 'smaller government', which is something lacking otherwise. In that way, I guess it would be similar to libertarianism, but that is about it.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow
The system is Broken end of story.
We all know what needs to happen but this is the internet and I don't fancy a visit from the FBI .
But until what ever happens .. happens we will continue to see clown elections like this.

Your diagnosis might not be far off, but the prognosis isn't necessarily fatal. If in fact the dysfunctions in the political system are as we all seem to feel; they are not sustainable... they will destroy themselves inevitably. Our problem as the "people" is to ensure that they no longer have the ability to destroy what we are. But that's the question isn't it? The unspoken question - what are we?

My estimation is that - observing their behavior - the politicians actually believe they are "special" people, more citizens than citizens - behave as if they think they know better, or more than "citizens," and most are unwilling to actually change that culture. The next round of political heroes will arise, and they will be - and do - exactly the same thing.

If by the power of fantasy, some revolutionaries would "burn it all down..." guess what - same result. It's not politics, ideology, or even spirituality. Its reality, these people simply WONT play by the rules... "service to others, uplifting the oppressed, defending the constitution, protecting freedom, even protecting faith" are virtue signaling words... no longer a sincere expression - but a cultural gesture to be mimicked at gatherings... only to make a speaker "look good."

All of this to say it's not politics, it's people. We are sold celebrities and actors as politicians who have only TWO uses... make us believe that they are with us and of us, or to take the blame when the party needs to shed responsibility for their agenda. That's it! And the media tells us we LOVE them. They tell everybody like us LOVES them. Then they either LOVE them too, or make fun of those they claim do. Its very binary and sickeningly predictable.

You may feel motivated to express your passionate disapproval - but let it not include harm.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yes. That is one of the craziest voting schemes there it.

So what's the answer? in a country that is as evenly divided things like supporting 3rd party candidates or promoting the crappy candidates in another party's primary election so your party has the easier candidate has become a real way to game the system.

There is too much money in our elections to get such lousy candidates and elections that can be gamed. It takes too long the advertising expense alone is astronomical. We had nothing but political ads for months and now we are gonna add another one?

Don't know what the answer is and I can't stand the 2 party system either, but it would have been better for Georgia for the election to have been over last night.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
ranked choice is a terrible idea, it was instituted in alaska purely to keep murkowski in power or she never would have made it out of the primaries.

I don't know either, have only heard about it briefly but certainly you see where the current situation isn't ideal either.

having 2 senatorial elections in a row have to have runoffs means this process isn't working either.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Good for him.

And , in what way would a 3 or 4 or 5 party be different ?

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Good for him.

I can see that side too, don't want a government with so many parties nothing gets done, and the simplest of legislature is a hassle to get passed.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I am talking about Alaska based on another thought in the thread.

I do not care about 3rd parties but they can easily be hijacked also especially at a local level.

GA and AZ election are once again having issues. Millions have been spent on updates and preparation and it will still take a week or so.

Not good optics for voting.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

I am talking about Alaska based on another thought in the thread.

I do not care about 3rd parties but they can easily be hijacked also especially at a local level.

GA and AZ election are once again having issues. Millions have been spent on updates and preparation and it will still take a week or so.

Not good optics for voting.

Ive heard that the second place 3rd place process can be taken advantage of too, but it does eliminate the need for an expensive and time-consuming runoff election.

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Good for him.

Well, I don't know about others, but I'd like to think that the prospect of more # sammiches to choose from in the mix, would yield higher odds of one of them actually being a palatable -- and non-e.coli inducing -- # sammich for once.

But I guess if you think Maruchan is fine, why try some other brand of crud food, eh?

posted on Nov, 10 2022 @ 03:13 AM
link   
ELiminating a campaign that does not meet a certain level is needed. less than so many people voting for you should be split up by percentages to the other candidates.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join