It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lolz about electric vehicles

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I understand, that the human race is tribal and most are too stupid to see what they do when they join popular ridiculing of any kind. May it be sheer stupidity or just the drive to belong to a group or community, I don't care. Let's talk some facts.

And before it's about how EV are environmentally bad, YES that is true mostly. However as with every new technology, we develop EV now so when we finally can have the correct on board power source to run it, the majority of the other challenges have been mastered. No, EV can not replace ICE currently, not with battery tech anyways, currently.

But EV is getting there. My own EV recharges in around 20 minutes. The next generation/iteration will be even faster. The problem is the energy demand on the grid. But my rage is toning down currently so let's flame it up again with stupid quotes:

"Lolz that EV is recharged by a gasoline generator"
Reason: Solely the drivers fault.
Parallel to ICE: Back in the days when ICE powered cars were developed, many had been brought home by horses. Just that the horse people had the lolz about the new technology.

"EV drains battery in winter just by standing around"
Reason: Old battery tech. My own EV was unused two months last winter facing -15°C and it lost 1% of it's charge.
Parallel to ICE: That 1% will be offset by the ICE engine demanding a lot of fuel every time the engine fires up in cold temperatures. In summer, fuel will evaporate, even though in trace amounts. EV electric motors do not have this characteristic, by far not to that degree. So that argument is off the table. The horse people could not smuggly comment about it since their horses needed fuel all the time, even when idling or the vehicle would simply die.

"lolz another EV burned to the ground"
Reason: Technical faults happen, especially when you sit on a door sized battery. How many cars have been burned to the ground because of leaking fuel lines or simply someone rear ending? I bet the horse people laughed too, back then.

"lolz that EV carries a fuel generator on a trailer"
Reason: Stupid people will do stupid things, for just being stupid or for a second of cheap internet fame from people with low braincell count that like to snicker about such obvious stupidity.

And in general "oh look that EV has a problem"-fence-people are the most stupid of the whole bunch. For someone driving EV daily with zero problems in the last two years, you look unimaginable stupid when you schadenfreudially snicker about EV because it gives you gratification from the same stupid peers cheering on the lolz.

EV has it's place as well as ICE. I love to drive both. EV gives me top notch performance that beats 99.9% of the ICE cars on the road. ICE gives me emotions. Therefor, I can understand the childish reactions because you don't # with emotions of people. I am against ICE banning but at the same time, can see the benefit of EV.

And just for #'s and giggles, I went into the parking garage after lunch and checked the battery. It has been standing there for four weeks and not a single % was lost. In a few weeks when I bail from here, I will do this more silent and efficient than any ICE could ever give me and when I floor it, beats 1000HP Skylines in speed ranges that nobody except the Germans can top out on the road.

So yeah, snicker at EV now, you look as stupid as the horse people back then. Soon enough when we have overcome the battery tech limitations and can have an onboard power source, the ICE will be gain the same status than horses. Kept around for entertainment and emotional values only.

ICE engine had the same issues back then with fuel efficiency and the pollution not only running them but also getting the oil refined, was on par or even worse than with EV.

Signed, a Master in ICE powered vehicle engines, specialized on engine design and management. Oh and for the gen Z readers disagreeing, I could not care less about your uneducated opinion, have a thumbs down.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Yeah op, but what if you like women?
What do you do then?

edit on 10 by Mandroid7 because: Add video

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Can you explain why in 1986 I could get a Honda CRX HF that got 54mpg, but today, there is not a car (ICE powered) that gets close to that? That was 35 years ago, and we seem to have regressed.

But my concern with EV's is when the battery are done, what happens to them? Currently we can recycle about 50% of the contents. And even then it's not cost effective.

Because the costs of recycling EV batteries are so high, it’s not always economically reasonable for a scrapyard or recycling company to do so. In these cases, the batteries are sometimes stored at places like Spiers New Technologies in Oklahoma, according to Wired, in hopes that the financial benefits of recycling eventually catch up with the costs. Automakers often take this approach with batteries they’ve received under warranty. There are risks with doing this, as used batteries can present a fire risk, especially if there’s damage or a defect in the cells from the factory.

www.msn.com...

I'd love for us to find a workable zero emission vehicle, but as it stands, we are still using our electricity to charge these cars, and if you aren't on nuclear, you are on the dirty stuff, and a 1 for 1 swap =0

Plus there is no substitute for a roaring 454 with finely tuned dual quads and a deep loping cam poised to launch on the green.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hahahahah, awesome.
Millennials are uneducated and ignorant
and you are the smartest kid on the block.
This reminds me of a South Park episode.
Ever get tired of smelling your own farts?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

I do, so not really understanding your joke or question

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So yeah, snicker at EV now, you look as stupid as the horse people back then

One could make the argument that if we had stayed with the horse, we wouldn't be in this "existential climate threat" we're in now.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: abigredneck
Sorry to hit a nerve and that this is everything you were able to pick on. I am considered Millennial, grow a thicker skin if your feelz got hurt.

Have a pacifying thumbs up

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

So yeah, snicker at EV now, you look as stupid as the horse people back then

One could make the argument that if we had stayed with the horse, we wouldn't be in this "existential climate threat" we're in now.

horses fart. therefore your argument is void.
edit on 12-10-2022 by network dude because: Beto, what a stupid name

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   
When you consider the amount of fuel the rigs strip mining lithium use, EV's are not even close to being environmentally friendly.

When you consider the initial cost of an EV, then the $30,000 to replace its battery in 5-7 years, that leaves the working class without any mobility other than public transportation.

Putting the cart before the horse has very serious financial consequences for the vast majority of people.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The joke goes along with locating a masculine Tesla driver.
...One who isn't a virtue signaling chump.
I don't want to drive a gd Chinese surveillance iPhone that shuts down because I listened to the stereo, or don't want my family freezing in the Midwest.

It is a meme car, despite your emotions.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I think it's the ridiculous policies being implemented by the current regimes that are pissing people off.

We can invest in and develop EVs further without destroying the economy. Increasing production and refining capability of oil will reduce the costs of producing of EVs thus allowing additional R&D into them.

Making everything more expensive to transport and creating supply chain issues while economies are already crippled by inflation is just stupid.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude
I understand what you are talking about but before I dive into it:

I know several current cars that can go lower than that. In fact my own ICE powered car can even go as lower as that ( and it's a four door sedan 1.4ton vehicle with 280HP, when a Honda CRX HF weights only 845kg and had half the amount of HP and torque. A weight number unheard off today because of these reasons:

- safety measures
- electronics and assistance systems
- comfort
- engine bolt ons like climate control or hybrid systems

Plus there is no substitute for a roaring 454 with finely tuned dual quads and a deep loping cam poised to launch on the green.

100% agreed when it's about the emotions, like I wrote. But if you ever have been launched 0-60mph in 2.2 seconds like 30 times in a row and the car still wants to do it, that's emotional too. The EV I drive does that and every single person that drove in it said things like it's the future and can not believe it in between the screams and trying to gasp some air to scream.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

existential climate threat

Aka..the political climate being threatened and "green" being the tech to maintain rigging of it.
ESG, CBDC, Social Credit, etc..
Not to get too far off topic, but kinda related.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I drove Tesla and was unimpressed by it's performance. Granted, the EV I drive is developed for the race track and happens to have a legal road license as a kind of obscure joke, but everything trickles down over time to lower tier car classes.

Tesla isn't the only EV manufacturer. I get the feeling a lot just hate Tesla or Musk and project this on EV in general.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Thank you for not really reading the OP, I addressed this already. I thought it was more than clear I am fed up with people that snicker brainlessly. Your arguments are valid.

And your 30k$ bill is valid for Tesla maybe. The world has moved on from Tesla battery tech. But stay in 2010 with prejudices if you like to. Really, go for it.

This is not a win or loose situation and that's basically what my OP is about too. People only know full or empty, good or bad. Superficially judging things they have no clue about.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What 2.2 0-60 non tesla are you talking about?

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Energy mix and grid infrastructure need to go a long way before we get to a comfortable place to allow for majority EV.

And as long as the free market allows us to get there in a beneficial way, I’m all for it.

For me, it’s not so much of an environmental aspect (though, this would be a nice bonus), but an energy independence one. If a country has a grid and a solid source of energy to power it (probably nuclear), they’re not as reliant on other nations for their transportation. We’re seeing this now in Europe, but it’s not new and most countries have seen this problem before, often many times.

The cars themselves are nice too seeing as you’re getting instant power directly to the wheel, more control as that instant delivery can be staggered to provide more dexterity for traction, and less moving parts may in the future make them easier to work on.

It’s certainly not without its challenges, and we see that in California where they’re putting the cart before the horse.

One last benefit is with a good grid, the moving of electricity can be easier and more efficient than oil. But it’s important to note my emphasis on a good grid, because as above we’ve seen the strain of a state who tried to accomplish one thing without addressing another.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Porsche Taycan Turbo S with some custom mods. 2.8s for the "buy it from the dealer" version. And it does that 20-30 times until your neck is sore and you just don't want to anymore. The Tesla, IDK, how often can it do that? 1-2 times? And then the battery overheats.

This thing charges in 20min, does stuff above until the battery drains, does not overheat. Do 20-30 headlight starts in any ICE that power level in a row and the engine is toast.

And the next gen is even more ridiculous. Like I wrote, lot's of things changed since Tesla came to be.

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn
This is exactly the problem all the green policies will actually drag out our use of fossile fuels making it worse

posted on Oct, 12 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

the environmental aspect is what I keep hearing about the CRX conundrum. It makes me wonder just how badly the tiny 4 cylinder polluted back then. I still say we have regressed.

And I totally grasp the launch capabilities of an EV, but there is no noise. Remember, the big loping cam is essential to hearing the possibility of that car exploding off the line and screaming down the run. It's why you will never convince me a white claw is almost as good as a glass of Elmer T. Lee.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join