It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school cancels football season after athletes filmed staging ‘slave auction’ prank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...
A California high school has canceled the remainder of its football season after members of the team were filmed enacting a prank in which they appeared to “auction” off Black teammates.

The video showed members of River Valley High School’s football team seeming to act out a “slave auction” of their Black teammates. School district officials received the video on Thursday. Yuba City Unified School District Superintendent Doreen Osumi called the video “unacceptable” and “deeply offensive” in a written statement shared with CNN.

(related: A mother says her son was sold by students in a mock slave auction. School district votes unanimously on action plan)
www.cnn.com...

The students involved in the “unfortunate and extremely distressing incident” were barred from competing the rest of the football season for violating the student athlete code of conduct, Osumi said. Because of this, the varsity football team no longer has enough members to play and the rest of the season has been forfeited, she said.

“Re-enacting a slave sale as a prank tells us that we have a great deal of work to do with our students so they can distinguish between intent and impact,” the superintendent wrote.

“They may have thought this skit was funny, but it is not; it is unacceptable and requires us to look honestly and deeply at issues of systemic racism.”

Osumi added that some students may face disciplinary consequences as a result of the video and that the school will also implement “education, honest, open discussions and instruction” around racism.

“At this time, the District and site administration are working in earnest to identify lessons and programs to help our student body learn from this situation,” she went on. “When students find humor in something that is so deeply offensive, it tells me that we have an opportunity to help them expand their mindset to be more aware, thoughtful and considerate of others.”

Wow, I seriously did not know this was a thing. I can't believe the African American students went along with it, thinking it was funny. I mean, obviously if they participated it wasn't from pressure or bullying.

I live in a city that's around 50/50 black and white, if not more blacks than whites so the white people must be hiding in their nice neighborhoods. These had to have been predominantly white areas, this would never fly around here.

I could see black teammates doing a mock auction of their white teammates as they would be the minority on the team here. Even that seems a little far fetched, the entire topic is pretty taboo I'd think.
edit on CDT08Sun, 02 Oct 2022 20:58:38 -050000000010b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh noes better send the kids to the reeducation camps.

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Thrumbo

Thanks Colin Kaepernick
I wonder where they got the Idea from ?

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Oh noes better send the kids to the reeducation camps.

My take from this is very positive.

They were comfortable enough to make light of a sensitive topic and even laugh about it. We can never put the past behind us? These new generations are apparently doing exactly that and school boards are not liking it one bit.

There's really no other way to describe this. It was so far from emotional for them that they recorded it to show off their joke on the interweb.

This would indeed be shocking and incredibly taboo in certain parts of the country though I must admit. CNN made sure to grab it up and spin it.
edit on CDT09Sun, 02 Oct 2022 21:30:22 -050000000010b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 09:40 PM
link   

California democrats. The most racists people on earth. And they quite successfully tricked the world into thinking its Mississippi Republicans. History really is written by the winners, I guess.

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

California democrats. The most racists people on earth. And they quite successfully tricked the world into thinking its Mississippi Republicans. History really is written by the winners, I guess.

Or the most advanced past the racism that their kids do stuff like this for laughs. Mocking history itself in a display of being completely over it. 🤔

I just lost all future stars on this thread
edit on CDT09Sun, 02 Oct 2022 21:46:07 -050000000010b2022 by Thrumbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I would like to see this alleged video.
I have a hard time believing this would be a thing, let alone the black players going along with it.

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Blame it on Dave Chappel. What was it the racial draft skit. I would not doubt this was what the lids were thinking. Not saying its ok but these young kids uave a need to push the line and jump over it for views.

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thrumbo

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

Or the most advanced past the racism that their kids do stuff like this for laughs. Mocking history itself in a display of being completely over it. 🤔

I just lost all future stars on this thread

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah.... that’s what it is.

It’s ok if California does it because.....cult reasons.

Just like Justin Trudeau can wear blackface..it’s all so disgustingly hypocritical and we’re all so sick of talking to robots.

I used to think the democrats were in arrested development...permanently 14 years old in their heads.

Now I’m beginning to think there’s just circuitry and wires up there

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 11:51 PM
link   
LOL the "C" word was the second one in the OPs link bwahahaha

He can keep the other 48

posted on Oct, 2 2022 @ 11:58 PM
link   

I tried in vain to find this video so I'm going to assume some things.

Poor kids.

I'm just wondering how the white kids got all the black kids to participate in this horrible racist reenactment.

I honestly hope none of them get arrested. Or had D1 potential. It be a shame.

"For the crime of being so unprejudice that you can, regardless of race, reenact slavery, without hatred being part of it, you will be punished."

This school district, everyone, are cowards, cowards so afraid of race protests they lost sight of how awesome it could be that the races can come together and obliterate their past by mocking it.

Way to reeinstill racist wiring. Obviously, like most kids born after 2000, they dont even care about race, so way to make sure they walk on eggshells about it.

It's sad. So scared of looking like they condone racism they can't notice when it is so removed from consciousness the kids can have fun with it. Or had fun with it.

They'll be reformed for this:

edit on 3-10-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 04:55 AM
link   
62 million views on Comedy Central's YouTube channel.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Kids being kids. Seems like all players enjoyed the bonding team moment, even if it was rather sophomoric

The real issue is the superintendent making an issue and statement about it like the community (and now the world) are teenagers. What a dope… fire that clown

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneyAbout

Exactly

And if I had the time to watch it and it was a funny skit, I would admit it

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 07:17 AM
link   
The kids are sick of the manufactured racial “issues” too and just wanna have fun with one another

The msm HATES that

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneyAbout
62 million views on Comedy Central's YouTube channel.

As much as I hate to admit it, that was pretty funny.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Salamandy
a reply to: JourneyAbout

Exactly

And if I had the time to watch it and it was a funny skit, I would admit it

The comments are full of praise. Many people do understand comedy's role in healing.

We have been amazed that they seem to still be allowed to do skits based on racial stereotypes though. They are both mixed so maybe that gives them a pass? But they do them on all races. Their Hispanic gang skits are hilarious.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
With no video available, and no statements from any of the students, I'm going to withhold judgment.

Maybe it was a harmless but tasteless joke.

Maybe it was much worse than that.

We really don't know yet.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

We know the mother felt victimized and we know how this would go over if it happened in Alabama and we know what the left has defined as racist: everything.

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Our son experienced a slave auction by his classmates and when he opened up we were made aware that this type of stuff seems to be the norm so much that he didn’t think it was worth sharing. His friend ‘went for $350’ and another student was the Slavemaster because he ‘knew how to handle them.’” Palmer wrote in her post. She wrote that students also sang the n-word.

In a later post, Palmer said that the students involved in the auction received a one-day suspension, and alleges her son was assaulted by a classmate and has faced “continuous harassment” at the school since he reported the incident.

Its hard to know how students really feel. The chance that it did make a black student feel like sh!t is enough reason not to do it.

Plus, singing the n word and now one student harassed for snitching. That doesn't sound positive.

Just a bad idea in general

edit on 3-10-2022 by CptGreenTea because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join