It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we talk about food prices

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't think many husbands actually go to the grocery store with their wives so they don't keep pace with the increase of food prices.

Here in Asia rice has gone up by 25%
One peach cost $3
An apple will set you back by $2.50
Bag of chips (large bag) $3
Beer 6 cans for $10

Beef, which we don't buy often cost over $2 for 100 grams ( something like that )
Bottle water cost $1 for 1/2 gallon

Melons can cost you $15 each or more

6 slices of bread for almost 2 bucks

what's your take on food prices in your area?

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

$3??!?

Big bag of doritos is like $6 retail now.

I did get a bag of their "Roulette" cool ranch on sale for $4 the other day. One of the best bags I've had they have hot chips in there at random, all look the same, and they had lots of flavor crystals on them. Effing better for the prices now.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:12 PM
link   
A steak here is $20 or more -
the only people I see with them in their cart are those on food stamps.
A pint of ice cream $7.50??
Eggs $7.99 for a dozen??
And you can't even have a cheap meal of hot dogs and beans anymore - they are now $6.49 for 8!
I want to know how we can get thousands a month in food stamps, free rent and free medical, along with everything else, of course.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Liquor in up by a good bit. Meals at a restaurant appears to be up about 20%.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is not just about food, because the entire economy depends on the spare cash people have left over from their essential purchases. There is a reason why the Agricultural Revolution (cheap food) came before the Industrial Revolution.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
i joined my local costco thinking i would save money but i just spent more. i try to plan my meals off my shoprite sale paper. But i hear you. Prices are insane. BUt every month they say spending is still up. Not sure where everyone is getting their money

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Prices are on thing, selection is another. Specifically chocolate.

For the last time, candy companies, smaller sizes are not "fun", stop labeling it that way and just give me a huge hunk of chocolate and nuts.

I want a Reese Cup the size of a pot pie.

I want a Snicker's Bar that makes me feel gay just looking at it.

I want a Mr. Goodbar that will put me in a sugar coma if I eat 1/3 of it.

Don't break it up into small, individually wrapped pieces and call it "fun size." Think of what all that extra packaging is doing to the environment.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:03 PM
link   
S&F at least somebody can see that the whole world is in the same boat

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I haven't noticed increased food prices; then again, when I stock up, it's for months at a time. For produce, my local farmer's markets are still the same price as a year ago; for meat, I buy directly from the farms around me and in several hundred pound batches. I'm sure in a few months I'll get some stickier shock but prepping has helped alleviate a lot of those costs right now.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
i joined my local costco thinking i would save money but i just spent more. i try to plan my meals off my shoprite sale paper. But i hear you. Prices are insane. BUt every month they say spending is still up. Not sure where everyone is getting their money

Costco's prices are insane, especially beef, poultry, pork, seafood, etc, products I used to get I'm avoiding completely, one item 2 years ago was 20 bucks now it's 31 bucks no way. My one vice beef jerky 16 ounces used to be a reasonable 13 bucks but is now almost 20. Not gonna do it, it's too damn high.

Wound up just going to Kroger and getting pistachios, Brastweiger cheddar cheese, and kimchi, to get through the weekend
at some point, I'll talk to my brother-in-law about venison again. Otherwise, fish beans salads rice etc occasionally poultry but not only is that is expensive but it's been poor quality lately

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
My husband scans all the supermarket sale flyers each week, and that's how we do the grocery shopping. Paper towels on sale for $6.99 at Stop & Shop (I buy four at a clip), Progresso soups were on sale there this week 4 soups for $5.00 (regularly $3.99 each), Eight O'Clock Coffee (our favorite) was on sale last week at Shop Rite for $2.99 (regularly $6.99 or more).
Meat only on special or sale, buy 4 and freeze them for future dinners.
That's how I do it, and I use the store coupons that come out of the machine when you check out.
Sale items only, and go from store to store to get different sales.
If we hit something on our lottery tickets, that's when we go out for a dinner or buy crab legs on sale at $9.99 per pound.
Don't like to go to McDonald's, but if they are having a 2 for 1 sale, we grab something there.
I hit the local Polish delis and pick up chicken and fish at the hot food bar and make my own sides - potatoes and whatever vegetables are on sale. This week it was buy 2 get 1 frozen vegetable free at Stop & Shop.
Have to have a plan!

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I've noticed that prices on meat here went up quite a bit but is often "on sale" for what it used to be. Fruits and veggies are up a lot. Coffee is up a lot, too. We don't buy box or processed stuff but have heard folks complaining that the size of the package has shrunk on everything.

I did get a killer deal on Beluga Gold Line Vodka. Maybe because everyone is boycotting it. I figure that it is already here, and Russia already got their money for it, so why not buy it?
edit on 1 10 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
Prices are on thing, selection is another. Specifically chocolate.

For the last time, candy companies, smaller sizes are not "fun", stop labeling it that way and just give me a huge hunk of chocolate and nuts.

I want a Reese Cup the size of a pot pie.

I want a Snicker's Bar that makes me feel gay just looking at it.

I want a Mr. Goodbar that will put me in a sugar coma if I eat 1/3 of it.

Don't break it up into small, individually wrapped pieces and call it "fun size." Think of what all that extra packaging is doing to the environment.

Absolutely!!!
Saw the "fun size" Rice Krispie treats an it crashed my day. Yes I could make them but that assumes I'd be home which is currently damn never. Shop'nSave had chuck roast for 3.99 last week so splurged. 2 bacon cheese egg biscuits are just over $8 at Micky-D's (sticker shock!) CoffeeMate is up to over $7 when it was $4.99 a few months ago, frozen veggies are up but good luck finding plain ones...they're all expensive steamer bag blends. Ice Cream is holding at $5.99, eggs have quadrupled in price $6.79 for a dozen regular. The price of normal spices is INSANE!!! The quality of fresh veggies has tanked completely. Heads of lettuce have been trimmed so many times it's shameful, white onions have that black moldy stuff on them & are soft, grapes mold within a day or two of purchase as do banana's & strawberries an tomato's.
Cream cheese the store brand is $2 instead of .79 cents for 8oz, butter is over $5 and tastes like flavored crisco.

Would like to say I changed eating habits out of common sense or cause of prices but can't. It's down to whatever is quick & hot. Rice & veggies mostly, meat once every 2 weeks. Work lunches are a yogurt 2 for $4, or a couple ounces of cheese an a handful of crackers. Yeah...this sounds awful but it's fine actually. It's taken awhile but food hasn't tasted the same for the last couple of years since before the pandemic. Once you realize what you think you want will taste awful it makes grocery shopping easier & cheaper.

The go-to sugar shock is the splurge on a cream cheese pumpkin roll still $6.99 or the Luigi lemon Italian ice's holding @ $5.99 for 6.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I do the grocery shopping normally.

There are still deals.

10 pound bags of chicken leg/thigh quarters are still only .79 cents a pound at Kroger. My freezer is full of them.

Ground beef (80/20) was $2.99 a pound last week, got a bunch of that in the freezer as well.

I have been a cheap ass shopper for years. I buy in bulk on sales and stack it high.

My family likes soda. A couple of weeks ago Kroger had 4 twelve packs for $12 bucks. Needless to say my basement is stacked with about 40 or more 12 packs. Now it is like $6 each.

Buy it cheap when you can and stack it high.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Forgot to mention we also hit the dollar stores (now $1.25) for things like salad dressing, snacks like the frozen pretzels that you heat in the microwave, chocolate bars, cookies/crackers, soap, necessities like q-tips, vitamin supplements such as Vitamin D, and even a grill lighter which sells in other stores for $4.99 - $5.99.
Also Burger King puts out coupons in our weekly free newspaper for cheapie meals such as breakfast for 2 - bacon egg and cheese croissandwiches with coffee and hash browns for $6.99, good in a pinch.
I do splurge on Boar's Head cold cuts at Stop & Shop for quality lunches with lettuce and tomatos, and use their turkey to make hot open faced turkey for dinner on toast, with potatoes, gravy and vegetables.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

I went into Dollar General a few times. They just have a small dollar section. Everything else is priced just a few dimes less than the Safeway down the street.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: tamusan
a reply to: RonnieJersey

I went into Dollar General a few times. They just have a small dollar section. Everything else is priced just a few dimes less than the Safeway down the street.

Dollar General is not really a 'dollar store' - we go to Dollar Tree, there are many of them in our area.
They recently hiked their price to $1.25.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I rarely shop at the grocery store, and when I do it's usually for feminine products for my girlfriend. I buy meat from hunters. I buy vegetables from harvesters. I buy nuts and fruits from the store occasionally, but most of those I usually buy locally from people who can them.

I'd do it myself, but I currently work too damn much.

I do see the prices of food and I just shake my head. It makes me feel like every passing year I make just a bit more money and I'm still in the same boat because everything else goes up in price too.

It's a rat race I tell ya.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Prices are jumping up now pretty much in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Sugar jumped up around a buck for a four pound bag everywhere. Potatoes went from three bucks for ten pounds of russets to around six this last six months. Bacon jumped way up, chicken is up quite a bit in most places, so are eggs. We buy a lot of our stuff on sales to stock our pantry, but what we used to pay regular price is now about the sale price. Hellmans and Miracle whip have jumped up a lot, but there are sales occasionally. Coffee also went up a lot and whole whitefish jumped up about two bucks a pound in the last two years. Most fish went up everywhere, especially cod and pollack.

Rice here has gone up about thirty cents for a two pound bag...sale before to sale now...don't know what it costs if not on sale. Always buy it on sale. Right now a buck ninety nine for riceland rice on sale.

We buy a half a cow, the price will be up a quarter a pound this year hanging weight, that will jump the packaged weight up about thirty five cents a pound...but the beef is great and we are not cutting corners with that.

We do not go out much and eat in restaurants anymore, the prices have got ridiculous. We can both eat two meals at home (one supper and one leftover full supper the next day) for the price of just one of us eating a single equivalent meal in a better restaurant.

posted on Oct, 1 2022 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We buy a half a cow, the price will be up a quarter a pound this year hanging weight,

That's the kind of stuff that we should probably stop advertising.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join