It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NO soup for you! Oh but wait... Mulligatawny

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Right at the top of the list on the wall in the soup Nazi's shop is Mulligatawny.... And there is a lot of ways to make it. I've tried quite a few variations but this one recipe is something special.

About 20 years about i picked up this book... "The best of Top Secret Recipes". This book boasts all of the recipes you always wanted to learn how to make. Everything from Fast food specialties from big name companies like McD's, KFC to drinks and snacks like Reese peanut butter cups and oreo cookies. Scanning through the list of treats one recipe jumped off the page.... The soup Nazi's Mulligatawny soup.

Now im not even a big fan of Seinfeld, but i've watched my share of it... and i think everyone knows the soup Nazi episode. I took the book home and got right to making this recreated Masterpiece of a soup. Back then i just couldn't find all the ingredients, but it still turned out really good. The whole batch disappeared almost as fast as i made it.

Last night i was looking for something new to cook because lately i do a lot of cooking. Digging though youtube i came upon a clip of the Soup Nazi episode, and i suddenly remembered that book i bought years ago, and that soup i made! So i pull out that book and looked through the recipe, and i already had most of the ingredients on the list!

So i toss the soup together once again, but this time with everything required... and once again this soup is just awesome! I made it last night and its already gone less then 24 hours later.

I'll share this recipe with my ATS Family... its a slow simmered creation with just a few spices. This lets the vegies do all the work leaving a tangy, slightly sweet delicious soup, almost like Chili, which is far better then any other version i've found

In a Large pot.....

16 cups of water
6 cups of chicken stock
2 potatos sliced
2 carrots sliced thin
2 Celery stocks with tops sliced thin
2 cups of eggplant cubed
1 medium onion chopped
1 cup frozen corn
2/3 cup roasted red peppers diced
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1/2 cup parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup butter
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp Marjoram
1/4 tsp nutmeg

No salt is in the recipe so a couple hours in have a taste and add a sprinkle of salt as needed

Its an easy recipe... toss all the ingredients into the pot. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer... Stir occasionally and let it reduce to more then half. At least 4-5 hours.... once it starts to get thicker stir the pot more frequently so it doesn't burn.

The lack of spices might be surprising but again... the vegies do all the work in this soup. The nuts become buttery soft, and everything comes together to make a delicious soup that will disappear fast.

You may not even have left overs!

Hope you Enjoy!
edit on 8-9-2022 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

MMMM thank you! We will try this!
My wife made a killer poato leek soup the other day.
We also like making Korean dishes and soups from Maangchi's recipes:

www.maangchi.com...

I make very good French Onion Soup from this recipe, so simple and delicous: www.thefrenchcookingacademy.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Post it on Reddit, on r/seinfeld, they will love it over there.

Fun fact, didn´t even know Seinfeld until around two years ago. Unfortunately i only have the whole series in german but not in original (no download for english available). Downloaded it only because it was a sitcom i didn´t know and it was complete. Since that i watch it every night, a few episodes till i fall asleep. If i finish it, i start to watch it again from the beginning the next night. Never had that with another series.

I don´t even know how i could miss it and not even know it. Ok, at that time it was aired in Germany i had something better to do than to watch TV, tbh. So that could be the reason. After i watched the first seasons i started to ask everybody if they know Seinfeld and really everybody knew it from then.

I would like to try the recipe but as a german i always have problems with that cup thing. There are cups for fluids and cups for stuff like flour, butter etc. To make it worse there is a difference between US(236,58 ml) and UK(284 ml) cups. Why keeping it simple when it can be complicated... xD So, which cup is it, how much ml is the cup needed for the Mulligatawny soup?
Cheers

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

we keep it simple in Canada...LOL

Well... not really... We complicate the hell out of everything.... but for this its simple.

1 cup = 250ml

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I bet it would taste good, without the eggplant.

Most disgusting veggie, to me anyway.

I've actually just started rewatching Seinfeld on netflix. Haven't got to the soup nazi yet.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have to look around for my recipe. We had a restaurant here that was called the soup seller. It was run by a French chef, and we had Mulligatawny soup there, probably 30 years ago. I havnt made it for years.It seems like my recipe had some chicken meat in it too, and maybe a couple other spices. I usually make a lot of soups during winter. Its 111 degrees here today, and yesterday it got up to 116 which is a record. What I have been making is Tabouli grain salad with lots of fresh meyer lemon juice, mint, bulgar wheat, parsley, and sweet organic tomatoes in it. I love it served nice and chilled. Last week I made Waldorf salad with green and red apples, red grapes and toasted walnuts..

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 06:17 PM
link   

They have online tools that can automatically show you how much of different measurements. That recipe uses American- 8 oz cup. Sometimes when I scale down recipes for home use, I go from cups to tablespoons. Automatic conversion tools online work great. Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies. Ive worked at 2 French restaurants, an Italian, and a couple seafood. I learned a lot and had fun, but I made way more money working in a steel mill

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 06:34 PM
link   

When you finish Seinfeld watch curb your enthusiasm.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany

MMMM thank you! We will try this!
My wife made a killer poato leek soup the other day.
We also like making Korean dishes and soups from Maangchi's recipes:

www.maangchi.com...

I make very good French Onion Soup from this recipe, so simple and delicous: www.thefrenchcookingacademy.com...

I make potato leek soup about three times a year. We boil the marrow bones from our half of grass fed organic beef for around eighteen hours with some cabbage, celery, onions, garlic, and spices to make broth. We get about three or four quarts of kickass bone broth from it to make French onion soup and minestrome soups. It freezes well in some heavy duty containers we bought for about six months. but never lasts that long. We keep the bone grease that comes from it to fry the onions in with both the french onion soup and minestrone soup, putting it on top of the cooled broth before freezing to make sure we get it when we make the soup. Usually we make a pot of one of the soups and have three quart containers to freeze..

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:10 PM
link   

That soup almost looks like it would have medicinal properties. I do not know what the eggplant would taste like in soup. I guess I will have to try it, I have everything there except the egg plant in stock almost all the time. I stock cashews, eating cashews keeps me regular. I presently have a bag of pistachios, but they are getting old, someone gave them to me because they don't care for them and they got them from the food pantry. Again, I do not know how those would be in a soup, but it sounds like it is good from what you say.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

I've actually just started rewatching Seinfeld on netflix. Haven't got to the soup nazi yet.

I'm not too fond of eggplant either. Had it breaded and fried and it was ok, but I would rather just have sliced fried potatoes in a frying pan with onions anyday over fried egg plant. I would never buy it, people have given me some and I tried different things but I haven't even taken one from anyone in over twenty years. It might not taste too bad in a soup like this when boiled that long.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Honestly you can't taste the eggplant at all... but all the flavors of the vegies, the nuts... and just a few spices simmered down for hours combine to a make lovely tasting mixture.

And its very simple to make, its more just prep work... and tossing everything into a pot

give it a try... you'll be pleasantly surprised how good it is

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I never heard of this soup before, so I looked up and found several recipes. I didn't see one that called for eggplant, but plenty called for apples. I guess this is a more savory version.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Soups with nuts is nonsensical, they sink to the bottom and do little for flavor.
This is a parody recipe at best, I wouldn't even recommend it to a unruly neighbor.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Posting so I can find this thread later, perhaps when the weather gets cold, so I can make this soup!

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Watched the next one of the videos that was cued up by Youtube for that soup Nazi. There was a great line from Jerry about "how it is when you live in a Nazi regime". The Nazi stuff aside, that was very funny when George wanted bread, and even funnier when Elaine went in.

edit on 9-9-2022 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:36 PM
link   
uploads don't seem to be working...

For anyone who would like to see all those wonderful nuts NOT sinking to the bottom of this "parody recipe"

freeimage.host...
edit on 9-9-2022 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Don't forget Arrested Development.

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

we keep it simple in Canada...LOL

Well... not really... We complicate the hell out of everything.... but for this its simple.

1 cup = 250ml

I am pretty sure that cup thing is as simple, if you know what a cup is or have such a cup, as what we do. We also use table spoons and tea spoons but for everything else we simply say what is needed in grams, liters or whatever. I guess if somebody is used to that cup thing then our way is maybe even more complicated because you need a kitchen scale and a measuring cup and measure everything that isn´t tsp and/or tbsp. I simply will order a few of these standard cups you guys use over there and the problem shouldn´t be a problem anymore. But good to know that it´s 250ml, thanks for that!
Cheers
edit on 9 9 2022 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2022 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem
"They have online tools that can automatically show you how much of different measurements."

Yesterday, after i wrote the comment, i looked for such websites and found a few very useful. But i guess it is even more simple for me to order some of these cups and follow the original recipes which often use cups. Because i love to cook following recipes from all over the world because If the mountain does not come to the prophet, the prophet must come to the mountain. And because i like hot food, really hot food. If you buy something "really hot" in Germany it isn´t hot but spicy. That´s because most germans think hot is when they add a pinch of black pepper to their potatoes, cauliflower and cutlet... xD
Cheers

top topics

<<   2 >>

join