It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Bible written by God or written by man

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

The bible is a historical book, it details both good and bad, love and suffering, hope and abject devastation, joy and suffering
Fairy tale it’s not

It is probably the best recorded history of a people. Having said that it is also full of fairy tales and primitive nonsense. Sadly the nonsense seems to resonate more with people but perhaps some day we will grow out of it.

edit on 28-8-2022 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The moral is that you need to stop getting your information from the interenet, which doesn't have a nonsense filter, and read some real books instead.

Who are you and what have you done with Disraeli? This is not a comment I would expect from you.

Considering the sheer volume of books that have been published in our lifetime alone without a "nonsense filter", it would make sense that one would engage their critical thinking skills no matter the source of the information, whether book or internet. Both can be good and bad sources of information.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: Raggedyman

The bible is a historical book, it details both good and bad, love and suffering, hope and abject devastation, joy and suffering
Fairy tale it’s not

It is probably the best recorded history of a people. Having said that it is also full of fairy tales and primitive nonsense. Sadly the nonsense seems to resonate more with people but perhaps some day we will grow out of it.

Interestingly enough, most modern and western societies are built on it, well, were once
Not so much anymore it seems

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

I'm on the fence about the bible....
unsure of its legitimacy.

If god wrote the bible,
why do people ascribe the first five books to be written by Moses.
If they were "inspired by god" to moses.....
How come the sumarians had a Noah flood story a few hundred years before the bible?

Why do stories of a "virgin born" jesus dude with the same birthday and performing the same "miracles"
appear hundreds of years before the bible?

Maybe the stories are more important than the timing and the religious sect promoting them?

Eg.... from web....
"The Sumerian Flood Story (also known as the Eridu Genesis, Sumerian Creation Myth, Sumerian Deluge Myth) is the oldest Mesopotamian text relating the tale of the Great Flood which would appear in later works such as the Atrahasis (17th century BCE), The Epic of Gilgamesh (c. 2150-1400 BCE), and – most famously – the story of Noah and his ark from the biblical Book of Genesis (c. 1450 BCE). The story is dated to c. 2300 BCE in its written form but is thought to be much older, preserved by oral tradition until committed to writing."

edit on 28-8-2022 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The Bible is mainly pure fantasy. Written and rewritten by countless people over the last 2000 years. Over that time of being rewritten and in so many languages, who knows how many times it's been changed either intentionally or accidentally. Personally, I think it's garbage and there are no god(s)

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I've certainly made that comment before, usually in response to similar departures from reality.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm not a super religious person, but I'd assume you can't find the answers from god in a book, but from within.

Sounds cliche but the older I get, the more it makes sense to me... but who knows except the dead.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

You don't need a bible for that. But I agree about asking for signs and you will get them.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

Sounds cliche but the older I get, the more it makes sense to me... but who knows except the dead.

That book is a miracle and anyone who doesn't understand that hasn't looked hard enough.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The bible is a very nice and wonderful book that was passed down orally by generations as the humble beginnings of the Israel people history.

Is full of accounts, opinions, lore, fantasy and even some alien encounters.

But sadly it was written by men and later on when the church hijacked this history accounts, much was redacted, erased, omitted and forgotten in order to pursue one religion ideology.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Inspired by God , Written by Man , Edited by Man , Propagandized by Man,,,,,,,,,,,

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   
All three Abrahamic religions are filled with duality propaganda. My god is the real god and we are the chosen believers. It only leads to insane behavior.

Whatever connection spiritual people try to make thru Abrahamic religions will be flawed by the words written in these books. A disconnect between spirit/awareness and logic where there is no need to make one.

There are philosophes on earth that moves beyond these flaws and maximizes growth.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The Roman empire of old tride to take over
the world with a Very good and big army.
they found it would not work
and that the people would rebel.

so they came up with a one god religion.
and put together bits of religon
from arould the world to make a Book!

to slowly brain wash the world.
it works grate, but not on all.
They still have people updating this plan!
from the vatican...

how can people not see that some thing is wrong with the vatican?
they are garded buy the swiss gaurd.
mercenaries! that are religious zealots
!
with the POPE as second only to GOD!
That did not work well the last time god had a second in power...

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: alexandrae
King James hired a man named Bacon to rewrite the Bible, it took him about 2 years

All theories based on the assumption that "all Bibles follow and copy the version published by James" are demonstrable nonsense.
Many manuscripts were written during the previous thousand years, and many editions were printed in the previous hundred years. There are no serious differences between the King James version and the earlier versions. If there had been, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTICED AT THE TIME and criticised accordingly.

The moral is that you need to stop getting your information from the interenet, which doesn't have a nonsense filter, and read some real books instead.

A lot of folks haven’t heard of textural criticism and believe that old manuscripts are just translated in a vacuum.

This science is applied to the translation of the classics and other non-biblical documents as well. We possess virtually no original texts today.

“The science of attempting to reconstruct the text of documents is known as “textual criticism.” The person who practices textual criticism is known as a textual critic. While the word, “criticism” usually carries the idea of finding fault with something, this is not the case here. Rather, the term is used with the idea of weighing and evaluating the available evidence to come up with the original wording of a text. Textual criticism collects and examines the evidence about written works in an attempt to recover the original text. Therefore, textual criticism is not criticizing the Bible.

Because no originals exist of the sixty-six books of the Bible, textual criticism must be applied to Scripture to reconstruct the true text.“

www.blueletterbible.org...

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think religious books are written by men in psychosis or other altered states.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff
I have no problem with textual criticism, source criticism, or even redaction criticism. That exhange of views was about the specific theory that the Bible was seriously changed by King James, which certainly has no historical base at all.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   

a reply to: NorthOfStuff
I have no problem with textual criticism, source criticism, or even redaction criticism. That exhange of views was about the specific theory that the Bible was seriously changed by King James, which certainly has no historical base at all.

Quite true.

I can read just enough Latin (barely) to compare texts with the Vulgate (one of the oldest versions of the Bible, from 390 AD and written by Saint Jerome) and know that the text was not substantially altered. There's some changes in language and wording ("herbs of the field" for "plants (for food as well as for medicine and also for forage for cattle and domestic animals)) But the meaning isn't changed.

Sit down with a blue letter Bible or a Latin dictionary and a copy of the Vulgate and you can see for yourself.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSeeingEye2025

The Bible is composed of many short-stories, written over a long time. Men wrote most of it, but there were likely women and trans people giving input too.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The bible is the full stage production of a simple truth: "Many are called but few are chosen"

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Perhaps also that people will seek out and happily swallow (and repeat) whatever argument, claim or story that tickles their ears (what they want to hear, what pleases them, what supports their preferred view of the matter, whatever strokes their egos in giving them the feeling that they're smarter about this than all the gullible sheep that fall for this stuff*). As prophecied in the Bible:

“For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* [Or “healthful; beneficial.”] teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.* [Or “to tell them what they want to hear.”] They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.” (2 Timothy 4:3,4)

*: from earlier, a result of those using this technique:

... Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say.

How can you protect yourself from the types of people that the Bible calls “profitless talkers” and “deceivers of the mind”? (Titus 1:10) Once you are familiar with some of their tricks, you are in a better position to evaluate any message or information that comes your way. Here are some ways to do this.

Be selective: A completely open mind could be likened to a pipe that lets just anything flow through it—even sewage. No one wants a mind contaminated with poison. Solomon, a king and educator in ancient times, warned: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” (Proverbs 14:15) So we need to be selective. We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject.

Source: Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda! (Awake!—2000)

The "tricks" spoken of there are discussed primarily on the first page of that article:

The Manipulation of Information (Awake!—2000)

As for the case for divine inspiration of the Bible (including the kind of information people won't 'put up with' as 2 Timothy 4:3,4 puts it, because it doesn't tickle their ears; that includes even many of those who believe the Bible is divinely inspired):

the bible-accurate history reliable prophecy part 1 of 3 (playlist)
edit on 30-8-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join