It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Bible written by God or written by man

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm not sure the Bible is the word of God. For example:

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

It seems to me the hidden implication here is slavery is okay. If my master is being cruel, I'm done. Sorry, I'm fighting back.

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

I don't think it's morally okay to kill innocent children. If the Lord tells me to kill child and infant, I'm thinking maybe someone is pretending to be speaking for God. I"m not sure anyone speaks for God.

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

Obviously, the Bible is not the word of God but written by men 2000 years ago. My wife would simply not allow me to have a concubine. I get it that 2000 years ago men were real men. The women back then were property. Well, I live in New Jersey. The women here are as tough as they come. I can imagine the dinner conversation now. My wife gives me an angry stare and says, "Stop looking your concubine!" Or, a little footsy activity with my concubine, I'm pretty sure my wife would physically hit me at this point. The idea of having a concubine just seems to me that maybe the Bible is an historical document in some ways.

Oh yeah, you would think sending out your concubine to be raped all night is probably going to land you the place of Eternal Suffering.

The best thing about living in New Jersey is I will get credit for time served.

edit on 27-8-2022 by AllSeeingEye2025 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2022 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSeeingEye2025

Man.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The Bible is written primarily by men.

There are divinely inspired passages therein, but most people lack discretion.

It's a tricky work.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:18 AM
link   
There are two masters. Pick one. All men are slaves

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:19 AM
link   
not only was it written by man the whole thing was decided on ie, what to put in it, by a bunch of self appointed bishops in 325 ad at Nicaea. the whole purpose was to make money from the gullible and it was very successful to the extreme.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I will advise you.

Get a Bible. Say this out loud.
" God, I don't believe you exist, but, if you do, make yourself known to me".

Thats it. Ask Him. He will answer.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It was written by people who heard voices in their heads about people who heard voices in their heads, for people who hear voices in their heads.

"Dost thou knoweth who I am?"

Lister's eyes darted from side to side, looking for an exit, but the Bliss freak edged him into a doorway, and there was nowhere to go.

"Dost thou knoweth who I am?" he repeated.

Yes, thought Lister, you're a smegging Bliss freak.

"Yes," he said aloud, "you're God, right?"

Denis beamed and nodded sagely. The mortal had recognised Him. Not everybody did.

"That's right. I am God. And I have cometh to thee for a mighty purpose. I need some of your mortal money."

Lister nodded. "Look, I'm completely strapped, man. I've got absolutely nothing on me. Not a bean."

The Bliss freak sighed heavily, trying to contain His wrath.

"Would you like Me to call down a mighty plague, and lay waste this entire world?"

"No." Lister shook his head.

"Would you like to be turned into a pillar of salt?"

"No." Lister shook his head again.

"Then give Me some money."
edit on 28-8-2022 by baggy7981 because: space

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Funny how this relates to the world today.

God gave a message and it was translated by the beliefs and desires of the person getting the message...man wanted to gain power, wealth, and prestige so he twisted the evidence to fit his needs much of the time.

politicians and people seeking wealth and power learned to utilize this technique pretty well I guess.

I think that maybe god should have given a six hundred page legal document to clarify what he was trying to say

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Both.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 12:46 AM
link   

The bible was written by mushroom eating hippies. I really do believe that.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I might be wrong about this, but I believe the Bible was written by 1000 monkeys typing at 1000 typewriters for 1000 days. If someone could fact check this for me, please? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Written by desert people tripping on psychedelics and then later became a major religion as those desert people became a nation. Then, as it spread other nations coopted it until there was enough discrepancies and other practices mixing in the high priests had to get together to decide what was going to be official.

If you haven't read up on the gnostic writings. Really neat stuff there like how the old god in the beginning of human creation was actually an evil god and stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Hated by men, especially those in powerful places.

Manipulated by them if bibles must be allowed.

“Censorship of the Bible includes restrictions and prohibition of possessing, reading, or using the Bible in general or any particular translation of it. Violators of those Bible prohibitions have been punished by killing, imprisonment, forced labor, and banishment, as well as by burning or confiscating the Bible or Bibles used or distributed. Censorship of the Bible occurred in the past and is still going on today.“

en.wikipedia.org...

I think that the more hard to take parts have to be taken in the context of God operating within an evil and dying world of mans own doing. We chose the hard way. God offered us the easy way.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 02:59 AM
link   

#1 You're thinking of chatel slavery, think more indentured servitude.

#2 300 years of warnings leading up to that, including a period of amnesty, something unheard of at that time.

#3 Not sure what you are getting at here. Care to explain further?

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Written by men...

a god wouldn't be such a clown

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Here is what I have been told; this may or may not be true.

King James hired a man named Bacon to rewrite the Bible, it took him about 2 years; there are many contradictions,,,that do not make sense.

Some say that the (old Testament) is a nice storybook.

King James let Bacon arrange the Bible as he wanted to; many writings are in the Bible to control people with fear, not love.
edit on 28-8-2022 by alexandrae because: correct spelling

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: alexandrae
King James hired a man named Bacon to rewrite the Bible, it took him about 2 years

All theories based on the assumption that "all Bibles follow and copy the version published by James" are demonstrable nonsense.
Many manuscripts were written during the previous thousand years, and many editions were printed in the previous hundred years. There are no serious differences between the King James version and the earlier versions. If there had been, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NOTICED AT THE TIME and criticised accordingly.

The moral is that you need to stop getting your information from the interenet, which doesn't have a nonsense filter, and read some real books instead.

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 05:35 AM
link   
the Bible.... is a compilation of selected writings, gleaned over hundreds-of-years, from scrolls penned by various 'inspired' religious persons with the knowledge of reading & writing

i deduce that 'skip code' was introduced by clever Mystics from the religion sect

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSeeingEye2025
I'm not sure the Bible is the word of God. For example:

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

It seems to me the hidden implication here is slavery is okay. If my master is being cruel, I'm done. Sorry, I'm fighting back.

The bible is talking to christians, it’s not on you, believe as you wish
Slavery is not ok, God took the Hebrews from slavery
Interesting, Spartacus started a slave revolt and tens of thousands died, but that’s ok isn’t it, what if Jesus opposed slavery and did the same thing, started a slave revolt. You would be complaining about that I expect

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)

I don't think it's morally okay to kill innocent children. If the Lord tells me to kill child and infant, I'm thinking maybe someone is pretending to be speaking for God. I"m not sure anyone speaks for God.

How about ISIS, the Nazi SS, how about God calling children home to Himself, His own children, His own creation
No one loves His children like God

“So the man took his concubine and sent her outside to them, and they raped her and abused her throughout the night, and at dawn they let her go. At daybreak the woman went back to the house where her master was staying, fell down at the door and lay there until daylight. When her master got up in the morning and opened the door of the house and stepped out to continue on his way, there lay his concubine, fallen in the doorway of the house, with her hands on the threshold. He said to her, ‘Get up; let’s go.’ But there was no answer. Then the man put her on his donkey and set out for home.” (Judges 19:25-28)

And read the rest of the story
Want history as it’s recorded or just little golden books to make you fall asleep safe and sound at night

The bible is a historical book, it details both good and bad, love and suffering, hope and abject devastation, joy and suffering
Fairy tale it’s not

You read death, others read release

posted on Aug, 28 2022 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Then you will die which is exactly the reason God is saying what he's saying.
Which is far more sensible than what you want to hear bounce off your
plastic ear drums you fake. It doesn't matter what you think God is God.

Judge not or will be judged and in this case condemned pal.

You don't even believe in God so don't act like you do.
edit on 28-8-2022 by Randyvine2 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join